Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Model 1400 MK II

Winchester Model 1400 MK II

I've read a lot about the Winchester Model 1400 MKII 12 ga, 2 3/4 chamber and most don't like this shotgun at all. The one I inherited hasn't been fired in over 25 years so I'm going to have it looked over before firing. Have any of you had any experience with this shotgun? Pro's or con's or what to watch out for? The serial begins with "N" and I've read they were only produced from the late 60's to early 70's.

Re: Winchester Model 1400 MK II

Welcome aboard.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Thanks...Am new to all of this as I've finally taking out some of my grandfather's guns to learn about them and what he used them for. Been packed away for over 25 years. What I have of his is a Mauser Argentino 1909 rifle, Winchester model 1400 MKII 12 ga, and a Ruger 10/22 carbine. All have been kept away nicely, but going to have them looked at before firing. Am anxious to get them operational and fire them. As far as I know, he was the last person to fire these guns. Is going to be nice for me to be the next person to fire them.

Quote Originally Posted by newgunowner View Post
    I've read a lot about the Winchester Model 1400 MKII 12 ga, 2 3/4 chamber and most don't like this shotgun at all. The one I inherited hasn't been fired in over 25 years so I'm going to have it looked over before firing. Have any of you had any experience with this shotgun? Pro's or con's or what to watch out for? The serial begins with "N" and I've read they were only produced from the late 60's to early 70's.
    Welcome.
    I don't have any input for the pro's/con's, I'm not familiar with Winchester shotguns.

What I can tell you, is there are several models of 1400's, introduced at different times, from 1964 to 1989. The 1400 was made from 1964 to 1981. Then New Model 1400 was introduced in 1989. Both of these would have checkered walnut stocks, and blued finish. There was another stock, the hydrocoil plastic stock, and that adds 35% to the value.
    There is also the 1400 Ranger, which is the same gun, but with utility grade wood and finish.

The one I have is a Model 1400 MK II which was produced from 1968-73, I think, according to some online resources.

I had one for about 7-8 years in the late '70s and early '80s that worked fine. I used it on rabbits, ducks, quail and pheasants without any problems. The gun worked fine and shot straight for me.

Is that 1400 a copy of the Rem sportsman 58?

Someone mentioned, not on any of these forums, that the Bellini bolt stops usually broke on him when he owned and used the Winchester model 1400 MKII and he kept them around to replace. But other than that, he didn't have any problems with his Model 1400 MKII shotgun.

The one I have is a Model 1400 MK II which was produced from 1968-73, I think, according to some online resources.
    Whatever you say. I was just referencing my Standard Catalog of Firearms. They show many variations, but not a MkII. I'm not saying there isn't such a thing, I have no clue. Just quoting this book, that's right here in front of me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    Whatever you say. I was just referencing my Standard Catalog of Firearms. They show many variations, but not a MkII. I'm not saying there isn't such a thing, I have no clue. Just quoting this book, that's right here in front of me.
    I do not have a dog in this hunt, but, if one googles that gun; it returns many, many hits indicating there is such a gun.

photo1 (2).jpgphoto2 (2).jpg

Here are pictures of the non-existent gun that I took this morning. I cropped the serial number out on the side, but you see a picture of the writing on the barrel and then the markings on the side of the shotgun which clearly show where I am getting my information. I left the "N" portion of the serial number but cropped out the rest. I started out with an internet search of this gun. Winchester says they produced this gun from the late 60's to early 70's and then discontinued production. A gunsmith in my area even said he's had the same gun. Anyway, I'm not picking a fight and really don't care whether someone believes me. I'm just relaying what is written. And my intention with this thread was just to try to learn a little about this shotgun and other people's experience with it. I am new to all of this and was just trying to get educated from other people smarter than me.

Administrator

The first version of the Model 1400 was in production from 1964 to 1981. For about five years during this period, from '68 to '72, Winchester listed it as the MK II but any changes were strictly cosmetic. Then from '73 to '81 it was called the Model 1400 again. Apparently it was out of the catalog from 1982 until 1989 when it was reintroduced as the New Model 1400. It was in the catalog until 1994. Another variation of basically the same gun was the Model 1500 XTR, made between 1978 and 1982.
    Marketing people make a lot of money while confusing us with things like this.
    The Model 1400 was a mid-level, moderately priced gas-operated shotgun and while there is little collector interest, is a very good hunting gun. Take care of it and it will last a lifetime or more.

I just dropped off this shotgun for inspection and cleaning. The guy at the gun store confirmed the gun was known to have reliability issues; he said something breaks inside the gun which causes its unreliability. When I pick it up, maybe you can give me some questions to ask about how to make it more reliable, etc.

I remember when it first came out. It was along with the rest of the NEW Winchester line in 1964. There were several issues with Winchesters in general after 1963, but Winchester straightened most of them out pretty fast. I know they cheapened the asthetics on all their lineup then. My Model 70 was nothing like the old ones. However nothing in it broke and it was accurate. As for the model 1400 it was around a long time and was Winchesters main stay in the market. Sometimes issues like this are overstated. Just shoot it and enjoy it until if you desire to upgrade to something with more modern
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

photo1 (2).jpgphoto2 (2).jpg

Here are pictures of the non-existent gun that I took this morning. I cropped the serial number out on the side, but you see a picture of the writing on the barrel and then the markings on the side of the shotgun which clearly show where I am getting my information. I left the "N" portion of the serial number but cropped out the rest. I started out with an internet search of this gun. Winchester says they produced this gun from the late 60's to early 70's and then discontinued production. A gunsmith in my area even said he's had the same gun. Anyway, I'm not picking a fight and really don't care whether someone believes me. I'm just relaying what is written. And my intention with this thread was just to try to learn a little about this shotgun and other people's experience with it. I am new to all of this and was just trying to get educated from other people smarter than me.
    Sorry, dude. I wasn't trying to offend you, or doubt that you have the gun that you have. That's why I said, "I'm not saying there isn't such a thing, I have no clue"
    Mostly, I was just trying to give you a little background on your gun from one of the resources I use.

Anyway, it's great that you cherish your grandpa's guns, and it sounds like you're on the right track to putting them back in action and enjoying them. That's what it's all about.
    I look forward to the range report after you take them out for the first time.

JBOhio--we're good. Keep giving feedback.

I don't want to discourage anyone from grtting a 1400 or 1200, BUT I had two 1200's once ,(note I said ONCE), but they were the nearest, no good junky,inaccurate shotguns i have ever owned. Threatened to just leave in the woods several times.They were no good on quail, tried on squirl,,and beer cans.Believe me, I didn't keep them long....I got so I would leave them home and bird hunt with my Stevens single barrel until I found another pumpgun to hunt with...This was during the 70's transition to junky guns
    Last edited by sarg1c; 08-07-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Among the writing on the barrel, I thought I remember seeing "MOD" written underneath the name, gauge, etc. What does this "MOD" mean?

More than likely modified choke. That's how it's usually stamped on a fixed choke gun.

In fact, on my screw in chokes it's stamped MOD also. Full, Mod, Imp Cyl., Skeet, Cyl and such. That's they way they're abrieviated.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Hohenwald Tennessee by way of Cocoa Florida

I have one that came with screw in chokes. It works fine and I have never had a problem with mine. It is the same gun I use for turkeys, with a winchoke extra full choke....Robin

Quote Originally Posted by HAWKEN View Post
    I have one that came with screw in chokes. It works fine and I have never had a problem with mine. It is the same gun I use for turkeys, with a winchoke extra full choke....Robin
    I also have a Win mod 1400 Mark II in 12 gau with screw in chokes. I got it new at a Delaware department store in the early seventies. I am 6 ft and it fits and points perfectly. I have hunted small game, rabs, squirrels and birds (quail and dove with it) and also downed whitetail deer with it. I shot several trouble free full rounds of clays and skeet with it, and in a two week period in Wyoming, limited out every day in dove, several boxes of ammo, and never a jam or misfire or any problem at all. Gun still looks brand new (to me anyway). A great shotgun for me. You got a good piece

The ejector is a little cheesy and tended to break/bend and jamb up. Aluminum receiver, been a long time since I handled one so I'm sure I can find other things I didn't like about them. But, it should serve you fine, I don't think they are built to handle the abuse of trap shooting, but should be a good hunter.
    And then you tease me with this 1909 Argentine, one of the finest Mausers ever made. Pics, details please.

Got another graveyard post- - - - -nearly a year old!
    Jerry
    Caedit eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
    Arnaud Amalric 1209 AD

As I stated before had two 1200's and wouldn't take one if you offered ,But a little while back I trade for a Win.1400 in .20ga and fell in love with it It came with one screw in choke hold three rounds ,ribbed barrel. It does have a "N" at beginning of Serial # .It was introduced in 1964 along with the 1200 This one shoots like a dream. I'll keep it. (SEE POST ABOVE, DATED 02-24-12) Cannot take pic now, getting ready to put my great grandson to sleep, he's 23 mo.old and loves guns, If he see's it I'll never get him to sleep.

newgunowner, if you want, I'll e-mail you what the Win. Books says about them...
    Last edited by sarg1c; 12-01-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarg1c View Post
    I don't want to discourage anyone from grtting a 1400 or 1200, BUT I had two 1200's once ,(note I said ONCE), but they were the nearest, no good junky,inaccurate shotguns i have ever owned. Threatened to just leave in the woods several times.They were no good on quail, tried on squirl,,and beer cans.Believe me, I didn't keep them long....I got so I would leave them home and bird hunt with my Stevens single barrel until I found another pumpgun to hunt with...This was during the 70's transition to junky guns....
    I gotta ask.

How is a shotgun inaccurate? Were there holes in the pattern, or did it just not shoot where you aimed? Did you ever pattern it to see what it was doing?

Just cuious.
    Jerry

The age of reason...when excuses become reasons.

I have an original 1964 Mod 1400 that I inherited from my late father. Our next door neighbor bought it for him brand new in '64 as a birthday gift. (Some neighbor, huh??) I cannot imagine how many squirrels, rabbits, ducks, possums, armadillos, quail, woodcock, raccoons, and cottonmouths fell to that shotgun. I had a Poly-Choke installed on it for his birthday in '73.

If it's ever jammed or failed to function (from hunting in knee deep snow in Michigan to busting woodies in the swamps of Louisiana), I sure don't know about it. He and I have both hunted that shotgun really hard.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    I gotta ask.

How is a shotgun inaccurate? Were there holes in the pattern, or did it just not shoot where you aimed? Did you ever pattern it to see what it was doing?

Just cuious.
    They both were very inaccurate, Shot a weird pattern that was never the same. You could shoot several rounds at a squirrel, not hitting one but next time it would hit, tried bird hunting with them, sometimes a good hit ,sometime you might as well throw a rock. I never had a shotgun to ever shoot this way. got to the place I,d just use a Stevens single barrel. When patterning , with some shells it would have a hole in the pattern as big as a rabbit, next time it might hold a good pattern. we always shot basicaly the same shells, Peters (Blue) #6 or 7-1/2
    My brotherinlaw tried it on rabbits, just laugh and hand it back. I cannot explain what was going on, never had a gun to shoot like they did. They didn't stay long. The 1200 I had did not have screw in choke If I remember correctly and were full choke. If I would lead a little odd, I could hit a bird when they came up .We used a Fox double and never miss a bird, but most of the time when I carried the 1200 I just didn't do good at all. We used to do a lot of HAM shooting, shooting at envelopes, our Mod.12 and several stevens pump s would win quite a bit, but never won anything with the 1200. I never heard of a barrel being in a bind and twisting when getting hot or rib distorting the sighting plane but something would happen with both 1200's.They were realy a little embarrising when bird huntingwith someone else. Just think what my" English" thought....She would set the birds and I'd blast away, but no birds on the ground...
    Last edited by sarg1c; 12-01-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    I have an original 1964 Mod 1400 that I inherited from my late father. Our next door neighbor bought it for him brand new in '64 as a birthday gift. (Some neighbor, huh??) I cannot imagine how many squirrels, rabbits, ducks, possums, armadillos, quail, woodcock, raccoons, and cottonmouths fell to that shotgun. I had a Poly-Choke installed on it for his birthday in '73.

If it's ever jammed or failed to function (from hunting in knee deep snow in Michigan to busting woodies in the swamps of Louisiana), I sure don't know about it. He and I have both hunted that shotgun really hard.

Mike
    I believe the 1400 were a much better gun than the 1200, or at least the ones I had. This 1400 shoot very well. As I,ve said, It's a keeper...
    Last edited by sarg1c; 12-01-2012 at 01:59 AM.

I have the MKII 12ga. The only problem I have had with it is everyonce in a long while it will try to load a shell for no reason. I heard it is a fairly cheap repair. I just have not done it yet. Otherwise I love it and will never get rid of it.

I just recently put a Winchester 1400 MK II on lay-a-way at a pawn shop near me. Price out the door was $322. Its in great shape other then it could use a cleaning and appear to have not been shot much. I have one question, the receiver says MK II on it while the barrel says 1400 Ranger on it? Does that mean the barrel is not the original barrel? The serial number on it is in N746xxx, can anyone give me a closer idea on when it was made other then what is automatically given as 1968-1972 (the years the MKII was supposed to have been produced). I'd like to narrow it down to a particular year if possible.