Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .38 special for Self Defense??

Re: .38 special for Self Defense??

Even with good marksmanship, it is possible for a psycho to absorb 18 rounds of .38 special 158 RNL -AP (read anemic - power), after you are out of ammo, and the bad guy still keeps on coming, then finally dropping.
    Colt Officer's model revolver, 5 inch barrel hi viz sights.

A 1911 with it's single column / 7 round cap / is easier / faster to reload, less fumble prone, and 230 grain FMJ Mil loads are better proven performers compared to those days .38 special RNL AP....

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    I was trying to be funny. means joke time.

boy oh boy i feel dumb i guess you were duh

No My loquacious freind, I be the dum dum heah in this heah woods..........

ha ha !!

You are pretty kool in My book.

Besides, all you need is 1 round of .45ACP and everyone that has ever threatened you is blown to smithereens.

No, but you won't need 18 rounds either, and that was ancient low powered crapola, a far cry from today's modern ammo.

Mil Spec FMJ 230 grain ball ammo was a much better performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Make_My_Day View Post
    I think the reasoning for switching to 9mm auto was ammo capacity of the magazine. This was soon after a group of FBI agents were murdered in the street with semi-auto's while trying to reload their 6-banger revolvers. Many PD's around the country no longer wanted to risk having their cops shot up by the bad guys while using speedloaders. I retired just before the department was going to give me a nice Glock or Sig Sauer.
    Yep, and then the Spray & Pray mentality started and then they moved the targets on the range back to 7-10 yards ("Combat Range") so they could hit with a 9mm because the Wondernines have crappy accuracy for the most part and then.......we heard a lot about "Double Tap" cause it hardly ever gave "One Stop Shots".................then most dumped the 9 Sillymeter for the .40 S&W and then.........................

Of course, I ain't trying to stir the pot here
    Last edited by Big Chief; 02-25-2012 at 01:22 AM.

"so they could hit with a 9mm because the Wondernines have crappy accuracy for the most part and then.."

No, it was not an accuracy issue, it was piss poor marksmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver43 View Post
    I heard this on the radio this morning, and didnt quite believe it until reading the article.
    It seems as though this actor is going through some bad times and tried to kill himself by shooting himself in the head with a .38 special. It didnt work and he was able to pick up the phone, call 911, then talk to police as they entered his home. This kind of make me wonder how much of an effect it might have on a pissed off bad guy that wishes to do me or mine harm. On the other hand I know that the .38 special was used for many years with good results.

The story can be found: http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ad-calls-911/1
    In my opinion it's a freak case. A 38 with the right bullets is plenty deadly at close range. We had a city cop get shot in the mouth with a 45ACP head on from front to back and survive. Yeah, it should have killed him, but it didnt. He had some hard times for awhile, but pulled through. That was definitely a freak. It happens, just like sometimes you hit a deer in the lungs and he runs to creation and you never find him. So don't bank on it working every time. Be ready for a sencond shot.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Man, I'm no hand gun guru, but I've got a darned good idea about close range effectiveness with a hand gun and even a 22 will stop mr. BG when used effectively. Remember what is said about hunting, bullet placement is the most important aspect. You hit an animal in the right spot with almost any rifle and it will do the job. If you don't believe it, ask Karamojo Bell. You hit whatever in the right spot and about any hand gun will bring him down. And if one round doesn't work, keep slinging lead. Of course some will say, in a situation like that you may not be that accurate. Well that's why we go to ranges and practice. Case in point. I had not been shooting much but instead spending my time loading and on gun work the last few months. I had become rusty. I was flinching and couldn't shoot a tight group to save my butt. But the last month or so, I've been living at that range. I bet I've shot 300-400 rounds from high powered rifles from .223 up to 7 mag. I noticed today, the flinch finally left me and my trigger control is getting back like it was in the old days. Of course, the P.A.S.T. Shield has helped with the larger bores, but still I had to get past that flinch and get my trigger pull down. What made the difference??? Practice. It pays off. And if I was shooting hand guns like that I would be deadly right now. Practice is the key. It's like we say in AA, keep coming back, take it one day at a time. That's sound advice for most life's problems.
    Last edited by snake284; 02-25-2012 at 12:47 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

"so they could hit with a 9mm because the Wondernines have crappy accuracy for the most part and then.."

Well, maybe......Turkey Platter/Dinner Plate @ 25 yards was "Combat Accuracy", but I agree with you somewhat they had so many more shots from a 9mm (15 vs 6) they didn't try to aim like they would from a revolver knowing they had to make'm count..

I carry my Charter Arms .38 frequently and don't think I'm undergunned.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Well, maybe......Turkey Platter/Dinner Plate @ 25 yards was "Combat Accuracy", but I agree with you somewhat they had so many more shots from a 9mm (15 vs 6) they didn't try to aim like they would from a revolver knowing they had to make'm count..
    When I trained with S&W M-10s I got where I could chew ragged holes all day long, same thing with most other shooting irons, I put in the time and effort blood sweat and tears, My all time favorite was a SS S&W 645, big and heavy and could also shoot ragged holes all day long.

I earned My stripes as an Instructor with hard work study and countless hours on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by rbsivley View Post
    I carry my Charter Arms .38 frequently and don't think I'm undergunned.
    I would not mind getting a Charter Arms undercover in .38 special.

Exactly.

Luis