Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find Remington Nylon 66 parts?

Where to find Remington Nylon 66 parts?

When I was at my parents recently I brought home the first gun I was ever given, a Remington Nylon 66 that dad bought for me when I was 3. It has a bit of surface rust which I am cleaning up as it was not stored in the most ideal conditions over the years. The problem I ran into is the elevation screw for the rear sight and the little washer that hold it in place have gone missing. I have searched several places online and no one has them. Anyone have a good source for these or can maybe point me in the right direction?
    Part of what makes the AK so awesome is that it's the shameless, kinda dirty chick who's always down to party and doesn't expect you to buy her diamonds.

Re: Where to find Remington Nylon 66 parts?

Quote Originally Posted by rallykid View Post
    When I was at my parents recently I brought home the first gun I was ever given, a Remington Nylon 66 that dad bought for me when I was 3. It has a bit of surface rust which I am cleaning up as it was not stored in the most ideal conditions over the years. The problem I ran into is the elevation screw for the rear sight and the little washer that hold it in place have gone missing. I have searched several places online and no one has them. Anyone have a good source for these or can maybe point me in the right direction?
    Looks like Numrich has the screw but not the washer, check out http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=4359 Welcome to the board! doug
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!

Quote Originally Posted by drwalker47 View Post
    Looks like Numrich has the screw but not the washer, check out http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=4359 Welcome to the board! doug
    Thanks. I saw they had the screw, I may just have to search and find a lockwasher that will fit. I guess I need to come around more since I am getting welcomes. I was around on the old board too since about 2001 or 2002, I can't remember how long ago it was.
    Part of what makes the AK so awesome is that it's the shameless, kinda dirty chick who's always down to party and doesn't expect you to buy her diamonds.

If you will PM me your name and address, I'll send you one elevation screw and one retaining washer. The washer will have to be staked on after you install the elevation screw.
    Ever notice that in every Science Fiction movie about a deadly plague breakout there is a government doctor saying that they have it under control?

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    If you will PM me your name and address, I'll send you one elevation screw and one retaining washer. The washer will have to be staked on after you install the elevation screw.
    PM sent and thank you thank you thank you!

Gotta get that thing back in shooting trim! When it comes to gun parts, I'm sort of a pack rat. I'll get them in the mail tomorrow.
    Ever notice that in every Science Fiction movie about a deadly plague breakout there is a government doctor saying that they have it under control?

Thanks again, you are a life saver. I will be getting it cleaned up and getting all of the little surface rust spots off it when time allows but I figured I better find the screw first or otherwise the rest was pointless.

Looks like you've got it found, but I've had decent luck with these folks in the recent past:

http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/cgi-...a_gunparts.cgi
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

I remember the first time I saw a Remington Nylon 66, I thought it was some sort of toy or pellet gun.
    I was always a big fan of the Marlin 60.

I know where you can find a complete rifle. At my exes house just out of Boonville Mo.

Another one I lost in the Big D!
    Last edited by snake284; 03-16-2012 at 05:06 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    I remember the first time I saw a Remington Nylon 66, I thought it was some sort of toy or pellet gun.
    I was always a big fan of the Marlin 60.
    Yup, my brother had a pellet gun that looked almost identical to my 66. I want to clean it up and maybe put a few rounds through it and put it away. It was the first gun I ever got and the gun my dad taught me to shoot with so I will never part with it. I plan to use it to teach my little one to shoot and pass it along to him when he is older. That one and my S.W.D. M11 both came from dad so those are 2 I will be keeping and passing down.

Just don't leave it in a hot car in the sun...
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Matt, the elevation screw and washer are in the mail. Should be there sometime next week. Brown bubble wrap 6" x9" envelope. I included some notes on making the repair on the sight, too. They may make putting the parts in easier for you.

Thanks again brother. I appreciate it greatly. I will post pics when it gets all cleaned up.

That's a great rifle, and collectible. They were popular with coon hunters when I was a kid as they were light and portable in the woods. And acceptably accurate. Unless you're really good, don't take it apart! The stock is part of the action, and you need a photographic memory to get it back together again.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

They aren't too bad to take apart and put back together. This one has been apart a few times and they are tricky but just like my Ruger 22/45, once you know the tricks they are a breeze. I am going to clean this one up and test it out, let the wife shoot it and then put it away for the little one. My LGS has a few of them and they are all selling in the $500 range. I am hoping to find something to clean the scuffs off the stock without harming it.

I doubt you will wear it out. Shoot the sucker.

http://books.google.com/books?id=gd_...20Frye&f=false
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

You're not supposed to need to lube the action. The rifle was advertised as "self-lubing" or something, as the nylon was slick enough.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

No worries on wearing it out, it has more rounds through it than I can remember. I just have so much other stuff to shoot and I want to get it back to the best condition I can and keep it that way for Luke

I bought one a few years ago that was in pretty good shape but had a scratched-up stock. This guy at work had a booth at gunshows, and he told me he knew a guy who had a STACK of new stocks for $25 each. Needless to say, I bought one, and restored my rifle to a 98% rifle. Now, I wish I'd bought three or four of them.

Changing to the new stock is how I found out how unlike any other rifle the Nylon 66 is. I had problems with putting it back together, finally had to call in the local jack-of-all trades to do it for me.

Also, I heard about a guy who left one in a hot car. The stock warped, but he heated it up with a hair dryer and straightened it out. Last time I went to a gun show, one in pretty good shape was selling for $250. (Asking price, anyway.)`
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Banned

When it comes to hard to find parts , Bob's is always my first stop. www.gun-parts.com

Parts arrived today! Thank you Mike!

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showth...k-you-tennmike

I got Momma's Nylon 66 or Mohawk/Black Diamond, it's black stocked with white "Diamonds" in the forearm, chrome plated? I was wondering about the rear sight on it and if it has all the parts. I'll have to pull it out and look at it again next trip to FLA. I remember me asking on here a few years ago about how the rear sight adjusts, I remember a leaf with a big screw in it.

I also have a Remington Nylon 66 that I've had since I was a kid. My problem is the rear elevation sight. I have the screw that allows you to adjust the height, but it will not stay down. In reading some of the other posts; is there a nut that allows the springed height adjustment stay down. If so, where can I obtain this part?

Pull out the bolt handle and remove it. Take the two receiver bolts out of lower receiver and remove stamped receiver. There is a flat spring underneath the sight that has a hole in it for the elevation screw to pass through. There is a small flat washer that fits on the underside of this spring to put downward pressure on the elevation screw. You are most likely missing that washer and that is why the elevation screw doesn't work. If the leaf spring with the hole in it underneath is missing, you're in bad shape as it is what makes the elevation screw work.

If the washer is missing, best place to possibly find a replacement is a radio control hobby shop. Get one that will be a close fit over the elevation screw shaft. The elevation screw is staked (flattened on the end) to hold the washer in place. The washer fits on under the leaf spring to provide downward pressure against the sight.

I've got parts from this guy before: http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

There was a guy with a Nylon 66 on the range last week.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    Pull out the bolt handle and remove it. Take the two receiver bolts out of lower receiver and remove stamped receiver. There is a flat spring underneath the sight that has a hole in it for the elevation screw to pass through. There is a small flat washer that fits on the underside of this spring to put downward pressure on the elevation screw. You are most likely missing that washer and that is why the elevation screw doesn't work. If the leaf spring with the hole in it underneath is missing, you're in bad shape as it is what makes the elevation screw work.

If the washer is missing, best place to possibly find a replacement is a radio control hobby shop. Get one that will be a close fit over the elevation screw shaft. The elevation screw is staked (flattened on the end) to hold the washer in place. The washer fits on under the leaf spring to provide downward pressure against the sight.

Okay, I have the stamped recceiver cover off. there is a silver flat spring that is attached with a rivet. Is it a washer or a nut that pulls the sight down make the adjustment? My sight is sticking a good distance above the hole that the adjustment screw goes into. I have a feeling that the sight might have been bent up. This would make sense if the adjusting screw is made to raise the sight instead of pull the sight down

Hilly, I'm too lazy to sketch it out but here's a description of how the sight adjustment works. The sight blade hole for the elevation screw is threaded; nothing else can be threaded for it to work without major modification to the sight system.

The spring with the hole in it under the receiver cover has a hole in it that the elevation screw passes through, and is held under tension by the staked on washer. When the receiver cover is in place the spring can't move. The elevation screw must be under spring tension to work to raise and lower the rear sight blade.

To install the washer, the elevation screw must be screwed into the sight blade all the way. The sight blade must be taped down so that the rear of the sight blade is in contact with the receiver cover. Duct tape strips work pretty good. The spring underneath must be compressed enough and held in place with a small block and tape at it's free end towards the receiver cover with enough of the elevation screw sticking through the hole in the spring to install the washer and allow staking the end of the elevation screw to hold it in place.

Warning: The spring underneath the receiver cover with the hole in it is spot welded in place. It is also fairly brittle. Only compress this spring enough to allow for placement of the washer and staking of the end of the elevation screw.

Once this is done, turning the elevation screw clockwise lowers the sight, and turning it counterclockwise raises the sight.

OKAY, I understand what you are saying. Where can I obtain the washer??

I have tryed all of my usual sources for the screw and washer, and have ordered the height adjustment screw from Numrich. I have hit a brick wall onthe washer. Does anyone have a source for these or is it possibe to fabricate one?