Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Cheap" Pump Action Shotgun

"Cheap" Pump Action Shotgun

What a "cheap" price for a good, used, pump action shotgun for home defense? Just looking at a box store online, they had one for $179.99 new.

Banned

Re: "Cheap" Pump Action Shotgun

Do 'box' stores sell used guns?

Prices vary depending on location. Used Mossberg 500s go for around $150 here abouts.

Stevens has a Model 320 pump action for home defense , complete with pistol grip that is often on sale at Cabelas for around $199.

Was looking at new guns at box store just to check prices. Figured used one might be less.

You're willing to bet your life on a "cheap"- - - -"used"- - - -pump gun? Come on down to the Southeast Shoot and I'll organize a high-stakes poker game. I'll bet you'll also draw to an inside straight! Listen up, guys- - - -we've got a pigeon to pluck!
    Jerry
    WE SHOULD PROBABLY IGNORE POSTS CO-AUTHORED BY JACK DANIEL, JIM BEAM, JOHNNIE WALKER AND JOSE' CUERVO

Maveric,88 by Mossburg is cheap... Most Mossburg 500 parts will interchange.

Perhaps "cheap" was a poor word to choose. So let's try an affordable, reliable shotgun that won't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by newgunowner View Post
    Perhaps "cheap" was a poor word to choose. So let's try an affordable, reliable shotgun that won't break the bank.
    Much better. The Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Either one will serve you well, myself it's the 870 or nothing.

The Remington 870 and Mossberg 500/590 are the two big kids on the block. Both are as reliable as the proverbial stone axe, and both have their selling points. I'm more learned on the Remington, but I think it's probably slightly harder for an unskilled or distracted user to botch the operation of the Mossberg.

The Maverick 88 is the Mossberg's most entry-level gun, and they are common at the box stores. It is 98% model 500, the only difference being that the 88's safety is a cross-bolt arrangement mounted on the trigger instead of the 500's / 590's top-of-receiver affair.

I would tend to avoid anything not those two simply because parts, pieces, and people who know how to work on them are everywhere. In truth, it's hard to screw up most ANY pump gun, especially when it's just sitting in the closet, but it's probably worth spending a little more to have open options.
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

I've owned a couple of Remingtons and it doesn't get much better than that. But a good Mossberg 500 is a great dependable pump too. I also have always been partial to the Ithica Mod. 37 and I rank it near the top of all time great pumps. My dad had an old forerunner to the 870, the Mod. 31 Remington. They were so smooth they were known as the "Ball Bearing Pump!" And for a very good reason. My dad's was ice smooth and dependable was its middle name. The thing just fit me very well and I could shoot that shotgun better than any shotgun I ever shouldered. Anyway, if this shotgun is as good as a model 500, you should be ok. But you don't want to get into a life or death situation with an undependable weapon.

Note that I call self defense and home defense firearms and carry guns weapons. I don't call hunting rifles, plinkers, or target guns weapons, although they can turn into a weapon in a heart beat. However that is not their primary purpose and I don't want to give the antis any chance of ammunition against hunting and target shooting. However, anything meant to keep Mr. Bad Guy at bay is definitely a weapon, no two ways about it. And anyone that thinks of them any other way I think is grossly naive. OK just wanted to add that since most of the time on here I refrain from calling firearms weapons.
    Last edited by snake284; 03-26-2012 at 03:53 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Another recommendation for either an 870 or a 500...both are mainstays in the world of fighting shotguns...I prefer the 870 because of the ease of "adaptability"
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Another vote for the 500 or 870. I went with the 500 as it was in stock in the configuration I wanted. Going to pick up another one just because I can. Mine has been flawless.
    Part of what makes the AK so awesome is that it's the shameless, kinda dirty chick who's always down to party and doesn't expect you to buy her diamonds.

Ive used both the 870 and the Mossie 500 as patrol shotties. Both worked well. The tang safety on the Mossie is preferable over the trigger guard safety button on the 870. A new Mossie from Walmart- or a used Remmie 870 from pawn or gunshop. Enjoy!

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. Both have an excellent record for durability/longevity. I'm willing to spend more money on something that I could be betting my life on for defending myself. Besides, the 870 and 500/590 have the best aftermarket accessories.
    A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of sheep.

Check out the new savage imported from Turkey great gun for the price.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Will check these out.

Quote Originally Posted by DunRanull View Post
    Ive used both the 870 and the Mossie 500 as patrol shotties.
    You said shottie. Do you also shoot it sideways?

I can attest to the longevity of the Remington 870, I have seen the bashed about as Patrol shotguns for 20 + years, hardly cleaned or maintained, maybe a spritz of WD-40 once in a while.

I just obtained a used patrol shotgun, and it is in fine shape.

What is inexpensive ?? From what I see recently a NIB Remington 870 can go for anywhere from $ 269 to $ 300 +
    In My preferences, I would pay anywhere in the area of $ 250 or so for a used LE shotgun, the Mossburg line is pretty good too.

Buford, he used "Shottie", "Mossie", and "Remmie" in the same post. That's gotta be some sort of offensive record on this forum!

Jerry
    WE SHOULD PROBABLY IGNORE POSTS CO-AUTHORED BY JACK DANIEL, JIM BEAM, JOHNNIE WALKER AND JOSE' CUERVO

I have probably put over 10,000 rounds through my 870 express. If I keep it even slightly clean it works every single time. Because I have hunted so much for dove and quail and rabbit with it, operation is second nature to me. I bought a smooth bore slug bbl w/ iron sight that is 20" long and would feel very well protected from any threat out to 100 yards with it. The 870 gets my vote.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.

Quote Originally Posted by cappy54 View Post
    Check out the new savage imported from Turkey great gun for the price.
    I dunno Cappy, I am very particular when it comes to reliability on something I'm betting will save my life. This Savage may turn out as big as the 870 or 500 have in time. I wouldn't put it past Savage to come out with a real winner nowadays. But I'll have to see some good track record first before I will thoroughly trust it for this purpose.

Look at it this way; if there had never been a Model 870 or 500, what would I pick, the next best thing. These two though have surpassed all others in dependability and longivity and have an excellent reputation for this and I am very reluctant to try anything else. I have always had a pump shotgun in my possession and they have always been Remington or Mossberg, although if I had one I would also trust the famed Winchester Model 12. I have seen others screw up. I was using a Savage pump one time over 40 years ago and all the geese in the world were descending on top of my head and after I shot one round and I ejected it, the next round came out of the magazine tube when the bolt was closed and it was jammed like that. And the magazine follower was a solid piece of metal and I could barly see or get a knife on the rim of the cartridge to push it back into the tube. By the time I had pushed the shell back in the magazine the massive flock of geese was out of range. If I'd been depending on that shotgun for my life, I wouldn't be here today. So you see why I'm so particular?
    Last edited by snake284; 03-26-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Banned

Quite a few of the LGS have pre-owned , plain birch stocked Mossberg 500s , under the New Haven or other dept store brands , for around $100-150.

Quote Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
    Quite a few of the LGS have pre-owned , plain birch stocked Mossberg 500s , under the New Haven or other dept store brands , for around $100-150.
    Mine is a birch stocked model 500, but it's called a Mossberg, if that makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Teach View Post
    Buford, he used "Shottie", "Mossie", and "Remmie" in the same post. That's gotta be some sort of offensive record on this forum!

Jerry
    I got the Mossie and the Remmie but what's a shottie?
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

the mossberg is a double action and i think the 870 is single action......this means the 500 has 2 slide bars pushing/pulling the bolt and the 870 has 1 bar to do the work . I swear I read this @ 40 yrs ago with the author saying double bars is better but I don't think I've ever heard of anybody having feeding issues with a pump action.

Quote Originally Posted by 41 cal View Post
    the mossberg is a double action and i think the 870 is single action......this means the 500 has 2 slide bars pushing/pulling the bolt and the 870 has 1 bar to do the work . I swear I read this @ 40 yrs ago with the author saying double bars is better but I don't think I've ever heard of anybody having feeding issues with a pump action.
    Ummm. . .

What strange parallel universe do you come from in which Remington 870's only have one action bar? The 870 has been a twin-bar gun since day one - which was roughly 1950.

Not that I think it matters a whole lot. The Winchester 97 and Model 12 were both single bar guns, as was the Ithaca 37 - all of which had long LE and military service lives. As long as the action is designed in such a way as to prevent excessive twisting, or the operator understands the simple meaning of "back to front" motion, it all runs well.
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

"Ummm. . .

What strange parallel universe do you come from in which Remington 870's only have one action bar? The 870 has been a twin-bar gun since day one - which was roughly 1950.

He is talking about the copy of the Remington 870 made by the inhabitants of the planet Sigma Iotia II, they did not see a need for two bars.
    Mr. Spock made sure they understood that two bars are better than one.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Thanks for clarifying that for me......after all I did say "I think" it's been 40 years and admittedly I can't remember much from last week much less 40 years !! I knew someone would correct me !

I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 that hides in the closet just in case. $140 used. Check that model out.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Quote Originally Posted by rbsivley View Post
    I got the Mossie and the Remmie but what's a shottie?
    That's how the gangbanger wannabes with their ball cap on backwards and their pants halfway to their knees pronounce "shotgun".
    Jerry

So,

What are the thoughts on the Weatherby PA-459™?

T