Thread: Herter's Select Grade- good ammo?

Herter's Select Grade- good ammo?

I'm shopping around for ammo and saw Herter's select grade on sale at Cabela's. 115 gr. 9mm FMJ brass cased, reloadable. They have 1200 rounds with two dry storage boxes for $260. That's about the best deal I've found for non-steel cased 9mm so far. Anyone tried this stuff? Or know of a better deal? I'm also looking for .45 acp ammo if anyone has input. Thanks.

Re: Herter's Select Grade- good ammo?

Herters use to deal in some great stuff...until they went out of business about 30 years ago...Cabelas has since acquired the name, more, I believe ,for nostalgia purposes than anything else...so the ammo is loaded by who-knows-who and is packed in a Herters box....but it's got nothing to do with Herters, that's for certain...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

The ad I saw said it was made by Sellier & Bellot. They also have it in .45acp, 1200 rounds for $450, in two dry boxes. I've used S&B for years with good luck but never bought Herters before because I've only seen it in steel case until now. Thinking I might take the plunge and load up with 1200 of each.

If it is by S&B, it's good stuff. If you happen to reload, which is a waste of time where 9MM is concerned, IMHO, S&B brass also loads pretty well.
    Jerry
    Attention drivers with smart phones:
    Keep your eyes on the road and your head out of your apps!

Quote Originally Posted by shawn1172 View Post
    I'm shopping around for ammo and saw Herter's select grade on sale at Cabela's. 115 gr. 9mm FMJ brass cased, reloadable. They have 1200 rounds with two dry storage boxes for $260. That's about the best deal I've found for non-steel cased 9mm so far. Anyone tried this stuff? Or know of a better deal? I'm also looking for .45 acp ammo if anyone has input. Thanks.
    Check here before you jump on it, unless the plastic box is the deal maker.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

The Herter's Steel case stuff is made by Armscor in the Philippines.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

NN, check where? No link or anything in your reply. The plastic dry storage boxes aren't really a deal breaker but they are a nice bonus. I have some now, gradually accumulating them to the point where I can have a separate box for every caliber/gauge. Keep things nicely organized.

Someone local just had a catastrophic failure, i.e kaboom, with the exact ammo in question in his Glock 17: http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...c-failure.html . In all fairness though, the manufacturers are involved in trying to figure out what caused the problem.

I don't like Herters because they don't work in my LCP.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Banned

A co-worker bought some of the Herters brass cased 115gr 9mm. Headstamp was G.F.L. , aka , Fiocchi. Good stuff.

I've had good luck with Fiocchi is the past too. The only Armscor I've used was .22 and was the filthiest .22 ammo I've ever seen. Some people say you don't need to clean .22's... they never shot Armscor! I'm not buying any steel case stuff though so that shouldn't be a problem. Here's hoping it's good... I really jumped in and ordered 1200 each of 9mm and .45, 600 .38 and 300 .357. Holy ammo bill! At least it will be split into a couple payments since the .45 is on backorder. After I burn thru some of it I'll post and let everyone know how it worked out.