Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 112

Thread: Minimum cartridge for elk

  1. #1
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Minimum cartridge for elk

    I know we've kicked this idea around a few times in other threads. The forum elk hunt, and a few other things have got me thinking. Specifically, I need to bring a back up rifle. I have my 6.5-284. I think it should be adequate, if it must be pressed into service.
    But, it's not exactly a mountain rifle. 26" barrel, plus brake. HEAVY accustock, with adj. comb. It weighs a bit over 11lbs.
    So, there are two ways I can go. Buy or build the .338 I've always wanted. Or, get a light rifle, in a minimum cartridge, that could also double as a hunting rifle for my wife. My wife is somewhat recoil sensitive. She does great with my heavy barreled .243, but I don't think her comfort threshold is much above that.

    So, what do you think? 7-08? 260? 308? Another, lighter 6.5-284? .280? Other ideas?
    What's the minimum cartridge that you would feel comfortable taking moderate distance, well aimed shots at elk with?
    Of course, they would be powered with premium handloads.

    I know people who've used .243, and 25-06, but I'm not comfortable with those.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,291

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    I'd get comfortable with that 25-06 option with some premium bullets

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ernie Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    4,931

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    I have used a cartridge with the performance level of a 7-08 and have taken 2 bulls and a good number of cows with it.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ernie Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    4,931

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    With your wife being a consideration getting a light-weight rig with a muzzle brake-Make SURE you both have hearing protection when shooting that critter.
    This will allow you to go above the 243 Win in caliber.
    Another option-It may or may not be a good one for you and your wife.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"

  5. #5
    Senior Member wildgene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cody, WY
    Posts
    863

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    ...7-08, .280 w/ the same bullet will do the same as a 7mm RM minus 100yds., you might squeeze a little more out of 'em w/ a high BC bullet, but not really enough under 400yds to amount to much. Any well-placed shot @ 300yds. should work just fine. A .338 WM is a great elk rifle, but performance comes w/ a price, mainly in recoil, but you can generally add a longer heavier rifle to that. I prefer the .325 WSM, since it doesn't give up much to the .338 inside 500yds., & does it w/ a shorter barrel, less felt recoil, less powder. I'd look @ rifles first, figure out what features you want/ need / require, match it to a suitable cartridge. "Shoot as big as you can shoot well" is my starting point, my .300 WSM Tikka T3 Lite weighs in @ 7lbs. 1oz w/ a 4.5X14 Leupold VX-3, & is quite manageable for both recoil & packing, my .325 WSM & 7mm weigh about a pound more. Three pounds might not sound like that much more weight, but it's 3# for every step you take. Add the barrel/ brake & adj. comb getting hung up in every other tree or bush you pass & it'll wear you out fair quick...

    ...a Kimber Montana or Weatherby Ultralite in .338 isn't pleasant to shoot, a 9.5lb .308 gets heavy fast. Pick the best rifle/ caliber combo that fits your needs/ constraints, accept the consequences, & shoot the hellouttait before you take it hunting...

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ernie Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    4,931

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    And let me add, once you get your load chosen and scope zeroed-Get off of the bench and shoot from a variety of field positions.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Well , the 7mm-08 is an excellent choice , but just maybe the .260 Remington would be better. A bit faster than the 6.5x55 Swede , which when put in the hands of a good rifleman , will drop any elk , or caribou out to 400yds.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,563

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Well, I would say that your wife should pick out her own damned hunting rifle, and that part of your arsenal selection shouldn't factor into what YOU are taking as a SECONDARY rifle on an elk hunt. If she's really a hunter, she won't let you borrow anyway. Build yourself a .338 and sort out her gear as a separate issue.
    WWJMBD?

    Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

  9. #9
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    I have used a cartridge with the performance level of a 7-08 and have taken 2 bulls and a good number of cows with it.
    That's what I was looking for. Thanks Ernie! Looking at that class of cartridges, using a 140 gr bullet as the common denominator, the 7-08 edges the 260 buy ~150 fps or so (my guess is too much capacity used up by the long 6.5 bullet). The 6.5-284 edges out the 7-08 by a bit. It would make sense to stick with one I already have all the supplies for. It adds a couple hundred bucks to the price tag to start with a new cartridge.

    I was also considering the brake option. I could maybe step up a good bit (7RM?) with a good brake.

    Don't worry about the practice part. We shot every weekend last summer, prepping for our Wyoming trip. Leading up to the hunt, we went to my buddies farm, and practiced from field positions out to 400 yards. Also, shooting up/down hill.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by BPsniper View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. The people I know who've used light calibers, were all CO residents. Elk hunting for them is no different than whitetail hunting for me. I've also heard a story about a 25-06 not working out too well, multiple shots, long tracking, elk ended up 2 miles from the initial shot.
    I'm thinking 308, 7-08, 6.5-284.
    Actually, I'm really thinking 338, deal with the wife rifle if/when I need to.

  11. #11
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by wildgene View Post
    ...7-08, .280 w/ the same bullet will do the same as a 7mm RM minus 100yds., you might squeeze a little more out of 'em w/ a high BC bullet, but not really enough under 400yds to amount to much. Any well-placed shot @ 300yds. should work just fine. A .338 WM is a great elk rifle, but performance comes w/ a price, mainly in recoil, but you can generally add a longer heavier rifle to that. I prefer the .325 WSM, since it doesn't give up much to the .338 inside 500yds., & does it w/ a shorter barrel, less felt recoil, less powder. I'd look @ rifles first, figure out what features you want/ need / require, match it to a suitable cartridge. "Shoot as big as you can shoot well" is my starting point, my .300 WSM Tikka T3 Lite weighs in @ 7lbs. 1oz w/ a 4.5X14 Leupold VX-3, & is quite manageable for both recoil & packing, my .325 WSM & 7mm weigh about a pound more. Three pounds might not sound like that much more weight, but it's 3# for every step you take. Add the barrel/ brake & adj. comb getting hung up in every other tree or bush you pass & it'll wear you out fair quick...

    ...a Kimber Montana or Weatherby Ultralite in .338 isn't pleasant to shoot, a 9.5lb .308 gets heavy fast. Pick the best rifle/ caliber combo that fits your needs/ constraints, accept the consequences, & shoot the hellouttait before you take it hunting...
    Good stuff, Gene. Thanks. Recoil isn't an issue for me, my main elk rifle is a 300RUM.
    I had thought about just picking up one of the scads of used 7RM's I see around, putting a brake on it.
    I may be overthinking this whole thing (I tend to to that some times). We had a talk last night. My wife isn't interested in hunting elk, currently. Her dad just about begged her to go bowhunting with him this year, I offered to buy the tag. She declined. We offered to take her on this hunt, no dice. She basically told us that she at least wants to get a few whitetail under her belt, before she even considers elk.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ernie Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    4,931

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    The 7mm SAUM is a great little cartridge that outperforms itself. Shorter than a 7mm WSM, with the same performance level especially with the lighter bullets under 150 grains when dealing with short actions.
    Still the 7-08 for a mountain rifle seems real comfortable to me.
    With the type of practicing you two do I would be comfortable with it. If you wanted more horsepower the 7SAUM or 300SAUM.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"

  13. #13
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Well, I would say that your wife should pick out her own damned hunting rifle, and that part of your arsenal selection shouldn't factor into what YOU are taking as a SECONDARY rifle on an elk hunt. If she's really a hunter, she won't let you borrow anyway. Build yourself a .338 and sort out her gear as a separate issue.
    I believe that's the answer.
    I might grab a 7mm for a back up.
    OR, which .338 to build?
    338WM? a true classic. Ammo everywhere. 340WBY? another classic. 338AX? I already have the brass...

    Whatever the cartridge choice may be, you can bet the rifle will have a barrel nut.

  14. #14
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop View Post
    The 7mm SAUM is a great little cartridge that outperforms itself. Shorter than a 7mm WSM, with the same performance level especially with the lighter bullets under 150 grains when dealing with short actions.
    Still the 7-08 for a mountain rifle seems real comfortable to me.
    With the type of practicing you two do I would be comfortable with it. If you wanted more horsepower the 7SAUM or 300SAUM.
    Interesting. I hadn't considered the 7SAUM. How hard is it to find brass for?
    I'm pretty sure I don't want another .30 cal, unless maybe it's a .308.
    I'd like to go either up or down from 300RUM, round out my collection a bit.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Ernie Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    4,931

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    I haven't had a hard time, but I have not looked recently.
    The SAUM case necked up to 338 would make a nice cartridge as well.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"

  16. #16
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    Posts
    7,740

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    Interesting. I hadn't considered the 7SAUM. How hard is it to find brass for?
    I'm pretty sure I don't want another .30 cal, unless maybe it's a .308.
    I'd like to go either up or down from 300RUM, round out my collection a bit.
    Just get one of those "Women's Rifles" everyone keeps telling me about. From what I hear they have been killing elk with regularity for nearly 90 years.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  17. #17
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Just get one of those "Women's Rifles" everyone keeps telling me about. From what I hear they have been killing elk with regularity for nearly 90 years.
    You're funny.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jermanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,845

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    This is a hella price on a new Weatherby Vanguard...
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/weat...-p-121966.html
    Quote Originally Posted by KENFU1911 View Post
    It's diameter is .277..........the number of the Beast.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Jermanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,845

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Then there was that 7mm STW for a pretty good price...
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/remi...-p-124129.html
    Quote Originally Posted by KENFU1911 View Post
    It's diameter is .277..........the number of the Beast.

  20. #20
    Senior Member knitepoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,029

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Joe, put some sturdy, streamlined, 180 class bullets in you RUM and go forth and slay Elk. That should work at any distance you have any business shooting at them. I'm talking Accu-Bonds, Scirocco, InterBond sturdy, You could even go with 165 Tipped Triple Shock X if you want faster and sturdier.

    Never killed an Elk, but I can't see one of the above mentioned bullets not being able to handle the job on one from your 300 RUM as long as the shooter does theirs.

    If you don't want the weight of the RUM (or just looking for an excuse for a new rifle) I'd go with a short action, minimum of .264" bullet moving at least of 2800 fps or so at the muzzle. For shorter ranges ( <300 yards) a 338 Fed might make a nice Elk gun
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

    It is the same when you are STUPID.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Jermanator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,845

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by knitepoet View Post
    Joe, put some sturdy, streamlined, 180 class bullets in you RUM and go forth and slay Elk. That should work at any distance you have any business shooting at them. I'm talking Accu-Bonds, Scirocco, InterBond sturdy, You could even go with 165 Tipped Triple Shock X if you want faster and sturdier.
    ...For shorter ranges ( <300 yards) a 338 Fed might make a nice Elk gun
    I believe that his 300 RUM is the primary rifle to begin with. He is looking for a backup. On the .338 Fed--- Depending on the timing of the seasons (I will be using it for fall bear if everything goes right) I know where there is one that is already dialed in and has some wicked accurate loads that you might be able to borrow. I hope to show you soon. I must have angered the shooting gods because I haven't been able to pull away for range time yet and a certain shrub is getting anxious.
    Quote Originally Posted by KENFU1911 View Post
    It's diameter is .277..........the number of the Beast.

  22. #22
    Senior Member knitepoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,029

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Sounds like a plan Jerm
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

    It is the same when you are STUPID.

  23. #23
    Senior Member wildgene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cody, WY
    Posts
    863

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    ...you could get one of these & some brass, & be ready to roll...

    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=035&tid=012

  24. #24
    Senior Member JerryBobCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Podunk, Co.
    Posts
    2,628

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    My personal minimum for elk is a .270 Winchester. With the right bullet, it will take elk to 300 yards or further.

    My personal favorite is something in the 338-06, 338x284 class. It doesn't have the hustle that the larger 33 caliber magnums have, but it doesn't have the recoil, either, and you don't need a heavy rifle to tame the recoil.

    I also think that we over-emphasize the notion of 400 yard shots. With the exception of a few members of this forum, that's a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG distance to shoot. If you're going to take a shot past 300 yards, you had better know the exact distance, how to read the wind, plus know the trajectory of the bullet. It also helps to practice, from field positions, at that distance with whatever rifle you choose.
    Jerry

    The age of reason...when excuses become reasons.

  25. #25
    Moderator Linefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    2,242

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    I use a .270 Win loaded with 160 grain Partitions. I've killed exactly one elk with it, and though it certainly wasn't the biggest elk on the mountain, I guarantee the same shot on the biggest one would have dropped it dead as a brick. I've also fired five of these into two bison. Followups were necessary for a quick, humane kill, but both dropped to the first shot, and given a bit more time, the story would have ended there. Four of the five shots were complete pass-throughs, and the one that wasn't traversed ~2/3rds of a lengthwise bison and stopped below the hide in the "armpit" on the far side.

    While I certainly wouldn't pick a .243 Win or 6mm Rem as my first choice, stoked with the proper projectile, I'd not feel terribly undergunned for your normal shot at normal elk. Caveat....if you're hunting really nasty terrain (where a 50 yard run means the beast winds up a thousand feet below you in the bottom of a steep canyon), or if you're on a "hunt of a lifetime", I'm with Jerry. .270 minimum, but you don't have to go bigger if you don't have the desire or resources.

    Good bullets and sticking them in the right place is the key. Though I use Partitions (they shoot very well in my rifle), IMO the premium elk bullet out there is a Swift A-Frame.

    Mike

  26. #26
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    Posts
    7,740

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Then there was that 7mm STW for a pretty good price...
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/remi...-p-124129.html
    Not only a great price, a great rifle in a fantastic long range cartridge. Should knock elk or anything else you wish down like lightning!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  27. #27
    Senior Member snake284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    Posts
    7,740

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by Linefinder View Post
    I use a .270 Win loaded with 160 grain Partitions. I've killed exactly one elk with it, and though it certainly wasn't the biggest elk on the mountain, I guarantee the same shot on the biggest one would have dropped it dead as a brick. I've also fired five of these into two bison. Followups were necessary for a quick, humane kill, but both dropped to the first shot, and given a bit more time, the story would have ended there. Four of the five shots were complete pass-throughs, and the one that wasn't traversed ~2/3rds of a lengthwise bison and stopped below the hide in the "armpit" on the far side.

    While I certainly wouldn't pick a .243 Win or 6mm Rem as my first choice, stoked with the proper projectile, I'd not feel terribly undergunned for your normal shot at normal elk. Caveat....if you're hunting really nasty terrain (where a 50 yard run means the beast winds up a thousand feet below you in the bottom of a steep canyon), or if you're on a "hunt of a lifetime", I'm with Jerry. .270 minimum, but you don't have to go bigger if you don't have the desire or resources.

    Good bullets and sticking them in the right place is the key. Though I use Partitions (they shoot very well in my rifle), IMO the premium elk bullet out there is a Swift A-Frame.

    Mike
    At risk of repercussion, I agree that a .270 is pretty well what I would say is minimum, except maybe a 6.5-06 with a 140-160 grain bullet. The 160 would take a bit tighter twist barrel though.
    Last edited by snake284; 04-17-2012 at 04:14 AM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

  28. #28
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Points well taken, Paul, Jerm, Jerry, Mike, Mike, Gene.

    To clarify. Jerm's right, my 300RUM is my elk rifle. I'm working up a load with 200gr Accubonds. 3000+fps is the goal. If they don't shoot, (they should, 200 gr partitions do very well) I'll go with 180 gr Accubonds or Scirocco's at 3250+.
    The thing is, I'm not gonna travel 2000 miles, and spend a few thousand dollars, and take one rifle. Not gonna happen. So, either I take my .450 Marlin Guide gun, or my 11+ pound 6.5-284 for backup, OR get another rifle. Other than those two, every other rifle I have are poodle calibers.

    I was thinking I could kill two birds with one stone, add another rifle that might be something my wife could handle. That's probably a pipe dream.

    I'll probably just buy or build something. There's a Steven's 200 in 7mmRM for sale locally for $270 I've been eyening.

    Either way, good discussion. Everyone pretty much universally agreed that a 6.5-7mm projectile, launched from a .308 to -06 platform, is the minimum for elk.

  29. #29
    Senior Member MileHighShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,744

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Bring the 450. It'll do nicely in close cover ;)

    I've carried a 270 in elk woods before, but I will be honest I just didn't feel as confident as carrying something a with a belt on it and .MAG on the case head. Personal opinion, and nothing more.

    The 7-08 would do fine to a certain distance. Nothing wrong with smaller calibers for elk, but you have to be DANG sure about your ability, your distance, and your shot. A 243 in the neck at 100 yards is just as good as a 300 mag at 350 yards in the shoulder, but frankly, I just don't have the time, patience, or opportunity to be that picky, knowing where I hunt. Its brown and legal, its going down, be darned if its quartering to, quartering away, or head on. I choose my cartridge choice on worst case scenario's, not best case, because best case is a very rare beast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

  30. #30
    Senior Member jbohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,792

    Re: Minimum cartridge for elk

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighShooter View Post
    Bring the 450. It'll do nicely in close cover ;)
    That is one thought, for sure. I've gotta wait for my scouts to come back with a scouting report, before I know if a close cover rifle is needed.
    It's currently iron sighted, and I'm inclined to leave it that way. Maybe a peep sight of some sort.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •