Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Carry....

Re: Summer Carry....

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    What he said.

However, I do carry the Glocks more in the summer since they are more rust resistant than the steel guns. Plus, I really care a lot less about the Glocks than I do my other guns. If I sweat all over them- whatever. It's a Glock. It can handle it.
    Enter the big reason I want another polymer carry pistol (Glock, Shield, whatever). I have to take very careful care of my 1911. It would be nice to have a gun I could lug for a several day trip and not have to worry about cleaning it out every night.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

It is not just the plastic, it is the rust proof tennifer finish on the regular steel parts too.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshooter3 View Post
    Enter the big reason I want another polymer carry pistol (Glock, Shield, whatever). I have to take very careful care of my 1911. It would be nice to have a gun I could lug for a several day trip and not have to worry about cleaning it out every night.
    My Springfield 1911 has Armory Kote on it, and I rarely have to worry about cleaning it.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Banned

In the winter, Floridians wear a jacket. In the summer (when it's hot) the jacket is discarded.
    No change in the threat level.

Quote Originally Posted by sakodude View Post
    Totes. I've been waiting for that gun to become available since SHOT show. I've looked around and evidently there's only ONE on gun broker. I don't even want to think about the backorder my LGS has on em.
    In space no one can hear you scream... but if you put a helicopter up there, some jerk would complain about the noise!

Quote Originally Posted by BPsniper View Post
    Question for all involved.......

Is the threat level less in summer than it is in winter?
    Obviously it doesn't. I dunno... I'm just thinking about the first rule of gunfighting.... that is, "have a gun."

Plus, it's an excuse to buy another toy. I may end up just getting a G27.
    In space no one can hear you scream... but if you put a helicopter up there, some jerk would complain about the noise!

I carry a Govt. size 1911 year-round, and will soon be adding an FNP45 to the available choices. I haven't bought an IWB holster for the FN yet, so if I want to carry it, I just need a bigger size shirt. I'm a fairly large person, so either way, I can conceal appropriately.
    When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard. - General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    My Springfield 1911 has Armory Kote on it, and I rarely have to worry about cleaning it.
    This is why mine is going to Robar once I have the disposable income.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

I don't compromise my security. I carry the same guns in summer as I do in the winter. The thought of compromising the handgun you carry seems counter productive to me. I mean, carrying a handgun is a compromise in the first place. I prefer not to travel further down the ladder than I already have.
    I follow this train of thought. I carry my Glock 30 365 days a year. Not that I don't have smaller pistols, though. I actually would like to get my hands on the new S&W Shield and try it out.
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

I never thought of my S&W 469 as a pocket pistol, but with baggy big pocket shorts as summer dress, it fits right nice in either pocket. I keep the handle pointed up or up and forward where I can drag it out quick. But I really want a real pocket pistol.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

I'm thinking of moving up tp 45 colt, I just need to fire a couple more rnds than the 6 I shot this AM.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    It is not just the plastic, it is the rust proof tennifer finish on the regular steel parts too.
    Not proof... Resistant. I have rust on my Glock 22.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Really ? because when they did the Glock tests, Harbor Patrol for NYCPD attached a Glock 19 to a marker buoy in Graves end bay for almost a month without it rusting, exposed to salt spray....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Interested in the gun. Would like to run a couple of 100 rounds through one. Haven't convinced myself it is worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgunshooter3 View Post
    This is why mine is going to Robar once I have the disposable income.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    Not proof... Resistant. I have rust on my Glock 22.
    I've seen a rusty glock as well.

What about beach or fishing clothes and how do you handle the weapon if you go in the water?

AD all i can say is preety much what others have said, i carry a g26 year round and i live in miami florida.

Small guy in the Poconos here. Cooler/cold weather is a Ruger P-85 or CZ-75, both in 9mm. Warmer weather, Grendel P-12 in .380 or the CZ-50, unless I'm open carrying...then the P-85 is by my side.
    Both the Grendal and the 50 serve as back ups year round. Can't stand the punishment the Grendel gives the thumb, but after 20 plus years, it has earned the right to remain with me.

Matt

ETA: it's 34 and snow on the ground this AM...Ruger today.
    Last edited by roadking; 04-24-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Support your local Scouts!

I also carry the same thing summer and winter. A PM9. I don't feel undergunned. I can center mass a paper plate to 15 yards with no difficulty. The polygonal rifling gains back the 50fps lost on a 3'' barrel compared to a 4'''barrel.

Only thing I feel that I'm giving up is capacity. As I've said before, I plan on using a firearm to get out of the area, not stay and try to take anyone out. I think that can be accomplished with 12 rounds.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Question for all involved.......

Is the threat level less in summer than it is in winter?
    If anything, I would say it is greater. Especially living in Florida as I do, tourism usually brings a slight jump in crime (tourists being the intended victims).

I want to have the ability to offer any BG the same 11 rounds of .45ACP that I would give to any of his brethren year-round!
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

Quote Originally Posted by ADRidge View Post
    Well it's that time of year again where a cover garment and blue jeans get traded in for a T-shirt and cargo shorts. I'm still IWB carrying the Glock 23 for now, but once it gets up around 105+, I'm fairly sure I'll be ready for a pocket gun. I'm preparing myself to deal with all the compromises inherent in going to a pocket pistol... decreased capacity, possibly a decrease in caliber, maybe some difficulty in grabbing the thing.

So I"m kind of wondering what you folks carry in the summer months and how? I've got a Ruger LC9, but I'm not even sure I really like the thing. I may end up using it for trade fodder. It's a little big for pocket carry, the trigger is a bit long, the stippling on the grip is really aggressive for range time, I could go on and on.

I really like the size of the Sig P238, but I'm not keen on stepping down that far and cutting the weight of my bullet almost in half.

Anyway, what kind of compromises are you folks making?
    Well i carry gun when i am on hunting ,other wise i am an fearless guy . i have an regular 7 bullets rifle . it is quite smart , smooth , light and simple to use. i generally take it out in summer only.

Quote Originally Posted by krialsharma View Post
    Well i carry gun when i am on hunting ,other wise i am an fearless guy . i have an regular 7 bullets rifle . it is quite smart , smooth , light and simple to use. i generally take it out in summer only.
    Welcome to the forum. I'm curious, are you allowed to carry concealed firearms for self protection in India?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

I wonder about that too, did they keep British rules on handguns......

I'm not a fearlful guy, but I wear a seatbelt, have fire extinguishers and a first aid kit. I also carry a gun.

I was fearless at one time, I walked through the valley of death with only a 5 shot alu framed .38 spl.

Not any more, I'll stay home.

I always liked Clint Smith's view on the subject: "Why should I be afraid? I carry a gun!"
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by LMLarsen View Post
    I always liked Clint Smith's view on the subject: "Why should I be afraid? I carry a gun!"
    Well, yeah; but, they had AK's.

Senior Member Slanteyedshootist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I was fearless at one time, I walked through the valley of death with only a 5 shot alu framed .38 spl.

Not any more, I'll stay home.
    Just be sure you're armed in case zombie jugs try a home invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Slanteyedshootist View Post
    Just be sure you're armed in case zombie jugs try a home invasion.
    I would be more worried about a home invasion by the Rovio Angry birds.......

Modified G20 almost always. Hangs in a blackhawk-Serpa ccw at 4 oclock with a button up shirt hanging over it. When t shirt is wanted I switch to my PPKS tucked in the front. Personally, I don't get over neurotic about a bit of imprint. I do have a decent carry-shirt that I use under a sports jacket, but the PPKS is too loose and the G20 too big, so then it's time for the G26.

Nice to have options!