Thread: Need suggestions for compact hunting binoculars

Need suggestions for compact hunting binoculars

I need a new set of compact, lightweight binoculars for hunting that won't break the bank - any suggestions?

Banned

Re: Need suggestions for compact hunting binoculars

I'm completely satisfied with an 8x40 Steiners that I bought years ago.

Jim

I've tried a boatload of compacts and heve never found a pair that makes me happy except my small Steiners and even they are a compromise that are not optimal in low light situations. Bushnell makes a few models in 8x40 and 10x40 in the $100 range and they are waterproof and I remember Dan saying they are a good value and sturdy.

Next in the price scale are the Nikon Monarchs in the $299 range in 10x40 and they are well worth the money with clarity and brightness that rivals brands/models at twice the price. Note the lower level Nikons are about $100 less but last I checked they are NOT waterproof!
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 04-29-2012 at 10:23 PM.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

...funny thing about binos, if they're a PITA, it don't matter how good they are, they don't do you a bit of good unless you pack 'em. I'd rather live w/ a few minutes less light, or a little smaller field of vision & actually have 'em w/ me instead of sitting on the dashboard...

...these are a very good compact for the price...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-...inoculars.html

I'm hearing Steiner in all three suggestions so far - my initial impression was that Steiners would be way above what I want to pay but some of their models are under $200, which is where I wanted to stay. I'll check them out. Thanks for the good ideas, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by wildgene View Post
    ...funny thing about binos, if they're a PITA, it don't matter how good they are, they don't do you a bit of good unless you pack 'em. I'd rather live w/ a few minutes less light, or a little smaller field of vision & actually have 'em w/ me instead of sitting on the dashboard...

...these are a very good compact for the price...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-...inoculars.html
    I have those and here is my gripe with them. The field of view is SMALL and at 10x magnification any movement in your part will send the subject off the field of view and even if it's in the FOV the bounciness of the small light bino is annoying. I also find trying to locate something with them a bit of a challenge at times because you lack a lot of points of reference you get with a larger FOV. If I see a flash of a whitetail by the time I find what I'm looking for it is GONE. They are useless on my boat and I take them out hunting only if I'm on a treestand and can stabilize my arms by leaning against something.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I have those and here is my gripe with them. The field of view is SMALL and at 10x magnification any movement in your part will send the subject off the field of view and even if it's in the FOV the bounciness of the small light bino is annoying. I also find trying to locate something with them a bit of a challenge at times because you lack a lot of points of reference you get with a larger FOV. If I see a flash of a whitetail by the time I find what I'm looking for it is GONE. They are useless on my boat and I take them out hunting only if I'm on a treestand and can stabilize my arms by leaning against something.
    That has also been my experience with 10X binocs in the field, Wambli. I'd prefer 8X or maybe even 6X if the optics are good enough. Does anybody have any experience with the Leupold Yosemite line?

Quote Originally Posted by BPsniper View Post
    8x Steiners

Are there better binos out there? Yeah. But, not for the price. I have several pair. They are great for the money. If I need more power........that's where you spend the money. On a spotting scope.
    Thanks for the help, BPsniper - Steiners are now at the top of the list.

X2 for BPsniper, I own 8x40 rubber armored Stiners. I don't like the compact binos. My brothrt tried to take my stiners and give me his compact Leupolds, NO DEAL! I wear a shoulder harness with my Stieners and won't go in the field without them.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter

I have the Steiner 10x50 Military & Marine binoculars and have had excellent service with them. They are not lightweight, but the power and clarity make up for the added weight, IMHO. The last couple years antelope hunting in Wyoming, I spent a lot of time looking over speed goats with them and the optics are great. The 50mm objectives allow for sufficient brightness at dawn and dusk that cannot be matched by smaller objectives.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

Banned

Agreed Wambli,
    Anything above 7 or 8 power is too hard to hold steady in hunting conditions.
    My choice for light gathering would be a good 7x50 but they're too bulky to fit under my hunting parka.
    Jim

Don't care for compact binoculars, as said FOV is way too small...though I have several pairs - they get left in the truck.
    The ones I carry are a pair of 8X Leupolds....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I have a 30 year old pair of Minolta 7x-15x50mm with 'multi-coated' lenses. I don't use the variable power much, but it does occasionally come in handy when trying to stay within the Texas 13" rule for whitetails.

Consider The Burriss compact. Excellent in all respects and priced right.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.