Thread: Another Alphabet Soup agency drops the ball!

Another Alphabet Soup agency drops the ball!

Hmmmmm- - - - -DOJ, GSA, SS, now it's the DEA's turn in the barrel! The breaking news on Fox is about a kid who was picked up in a drug sting, interrogated, not charged with anything, told he could go home- - - -AND THEN PLACED IN A HOLDING CELL FOR FIVE DAYS! No food, no water, no toilet, nothing! The dummies just forgot about him! I smell a big juicy lawsuit coming!
    Jerry
    IF THE LOCAL 7-11 IS OWNED BY MOHAMED THE MUSLIM, WHY CAN I BUY PORK RINDS, SLIM JIMS AND BEER THERE?

Re: Another Alphabet Soup agency drops the ball!

Hundreds, perhaps thousands of employees at any enterprise are bound to make mistakes, thing here is that with this folks, mistakes can be quite costly and thus provide "drama" but at the end of the day they are just human beings, some trying to do their best, some just trying to earn a living.

When a LE Agency takes custody of a living creature, they are holding that life in their hands, they alone have to see to the needs of any prisoner and give said prisoner the necessaries for life, there is no excuse possible, if said prisoner dies due to lack of food & water, it is prosecutable criminal neglect.
    If a LE agency can't properly care for a prisoner, they should hand over said prisoner to a LE agency that can.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Quote Originally Posted by bruchi View Post
    Hundreds, perhaps thousands of employees at any enterprise are bound to make mistakes, thing here is that with this folks, mistakes can be quite costly and thus provide "drama" but at the end of the day they are just human beings, some trying to do their best, some just trying to earn a living.
    You're kidding, right? I'm sure you would feel exactly the same if it were your or a loved one who suffered through this 'mistake'.
    Jerry

The age of reason...when excuses become reasons.

News article. He was held for four days, had to drink his own urine. He spend three days in intensive care for failing kidneys (and the gov't, er, we, will pick up that bill.) Oh, and he ate meth that was in the cell. And tried to commit suicide.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...153200359.html
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Quote Originally Posted by bruchi View Post
    Thats about the dumbest thing I have heard all day. Or maybe not. Its just a human life after all. I mean, they were just trying to earn a living.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post

So, run along and gargle antifreeze or something.

Personal waffle chef to Neduardo at the 2014 SE Shoot

Where the heck was this holding cell at that NOONE went by there for four days??? Do they have a dungeon under the building???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Lots of charges at the Federal level there......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBobCo View Post
    You're kidding, right? I'm sure you would feel exactly the same if it were your or a loved one who suffered through this 'mistake'.
    Well, I have to apologize, I did not read the entire thing and missed the 4-5 days part and he having to drink his own urine, reading that now all I can say is that those that dropped that ball should see the inside of a prison cell for a very long time.

The reason for my knee jerk reply is being so tired on the standard pleasure too many folks have when ANY excuse to complain against government entities appears in their crosshairs, in particular the alphabet agencies and so on and more so when they have a huge dislike of the guy that resides in the White House.

The "war on drugs" at it's finest!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho

The DEA... an organization whose time has come, to go away.

It has nothing to do with the agency, whether City, State, or Federal, there are minimum standards of care in relation to prisoners, professional standards as strict as in medical care, if a prisoner is a diabetic, they can die, regardless of what crime that prisoner is guilty of, there is a substantial duty, since said prisoner due to being either in a holding cell or incarcerated no longer has the ability to care for their own needs, obtaining food and water and medications.

BTW if the holding cell has no water, then it is the duty of whomever has charge of said prisoner to provide the bare minimum of food and water, even access to a rest room in a proper and timely manner.

Holding cell or not, it is criminal neglect, plain and simple, as when I served with EMS, I had on occasion, badly injured prisoners, and the LEOs sometimes interfered with patient care, it is difficult to assess a patient, and impossible to intubate or start a line, push meds, when a patient is handcuffed.
    Sometimes I would have to remind them of the law in regards to patient care, and also to reassure them that My safety was more important to Me, while I was not going to let a patient die, I would not hesitate to defend Myself should the need arise.......
    Last edited by DoctorWho; 05-05-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    Where the heck was this holding cell at that NOONE went by there for four days??? Do they have a dungeon under the building???
    This. The cell he was locked in had no windows. He was tearing pieces of clothing and pushing them under the door in an attempt to catch some ones attention. A holding cell that doesn't have windows or supervision?

This was a guy that wasn't arrested or charged. Why is a guy that isn't arrested put into a cell?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57426812-504083/daniel-chong-university-of-california-student-left-in-a-holding-cell-for-4-days-files-$20m-claim-against-dea/?tag=re1.channel
    Last edited by CaliFFL; 05-05-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    It has nothing to do with the agency, whether City, State, or Federal, there are minimum standards
    Sure it does. This is a reflection of the insane war on drugs and the arrogance of the federal agencies created to enforce it.

I'm reasonably sure that this isn't the sort of thing anybody should go to jail for...but I'm POSITIVE that everybody involved directly needs to be fired. NOT suspended, certainly not suspended with pay as is often the case, and in no way shape or form should this be one of the 'wristslap' punishments (letter of reprimand, etc.) that are often doled out. Heads need to roll, and those 'heads' need to stay rolled...as in no further fully pensioned, early retuirement employment opportunities.
    Last edited by coolgunguy; 05-05-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
    The "war on drugs" at it's finest!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    You have the rest of your life to deal with your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it.

Sounds like the guy was locked in an interrogation / interview room, not a holding cell........

From the moment a LEO handcuffs someone, until the moment that person is walking on the streets again, said LEOs and their respective agency is responsible for the welfare of said prisoner.........

Professional conduct and standard of care applies to any Law Enforcement Agency......
    Last edited by DoctorWho; 05-05-2012 at 08:07 PM.

I find it kind of odd at this point that none of the agents involved have been charged with something. Clear violation of the Eighth Amendment against cruel and unusual punishment. And the Fifth Amendment (nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law). Guess the federal lawyers are too busy preparing the defense against the lawsuit to be bothered with it. That it was accidental has very little bearing on it.

Looks like we'll be out a sackful of money, and the agents will get 'retraining'. (sarcasm)Might I suggest the retraining employ the use of shock collars?
    Sure. I've seen people like you before. But I had to pay admission.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    I find it kind of odd at this point that none of the agents involved have been charged with something. Clear violation of the Eighth Amendment against cruel and unusual punishment. And the Fifth Amendment (nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law). Guess the federal lawyers are too busy preparing the defense against the lawsuit to be bothered with it. That it was accidental has very little bearing on it.

Looks like we'll be out a sackful of money, and the agents will get 'retraining'. (sarcasm)Might I suggest the retraining employ the use of shock collars?

And that's sort of what I was getting at too, Celebrities that screw up get to go to rehab, politicians that screw up get to re-invent themselves every so often (or not at all, depending on whether or not they get a media 'pass') and these folks are more likely than not NOT going to suffer any consequences, save for some sort of meaningless reprimand. Meanwhile John Q., in a similar situation, (has to be 'similar, 'cause 'civilians' can't legally detain somebody, etc. etc.) would be bent over the nearest waist-high object waiting for the electric cattle prod. Oh yeah, John Q. gets to foot the bill for the entire thing as well. Win Win.