Thread: Pentax Scopes??

Pentax Scopes??

Does anyone have any experience with Pentax rifle scopes? A LGS has a Pentax, Pioneer II, 4.5 X 14 on close-out for $99. I've used a lot of Pentax camera lenses and bodies through the years but have no experience with their scopes.

Hawk

Re: Pentax Scopes??

They're pretty good scopes. For a hundred bucks, you can't go wrong.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

I have two purchased within the last few years, both 3-9x40 with a ranging reticle. My only complaint would be a rather critical eye relief, as in short. One is on a 270 that I load light for the wife so no real issue there. The other I have on my 7mm WSM and while not exactly a brute with regard to recoil, it will bite you if not paying attention.
    I will at some point replace it with a Nikon (my prefered brand ) and use the Pentax on something more suitable.

Sako

Thanks for the input. I think I'll swing by tomorrow night and pick it up. I'll put it on a 25-06 for now but may swap it out later. The tight eye relief might be a problem but, I'll keep an "eye" on it. (couldn't resist)

Hawk

Leupold is king of eye relief in my opinion. I have a VX-3L 4.5-14x56 and it has a good 3 3/4 inches eye relief at 14 power. At 4.5 it has a bit more, maybe 4.5 inches. But on the rifle it's on recoil is no issue. On my Nikons Eye relief is satisfactory at all power settings. I have a Vortex 4-12. It's a very clear scope, but at 12 power the eye relief is only about 3 inches, which is an issue on an 8x57. I've never looked through a Pentax, though I would think they have to be at least decent because Pentax makes a good camera.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

It's my understanding that the Pentax Pioneer II is the same scope as the Burris Fullfield II. I own and love several Burris scopes (FFII, Signature Select,Euro Diamond) IMHO nowadays they are the best bang for your buck. The FFII I own is the 4.5-14x42. Which is I believe is the same model you're asking about. I do not have any issues with eye relief. It has been on top of several rifles and now sits on top of my .30-06 loaner gun. my only gripe with this scope is that the objective bell is rather large. It is the equivalent of a 50mm bell but only has a 42mm lens. As far as optical clarity it is really good and for 99 bucks it can't be beat.

Well, good, bad or whatever, I bought it. I figured I couldn't get hurt too much for $99. The eye relief doesn't worry me too much since it goes on the 25-06. What worries me is the size of the objective lens. I wanted to put it on a Rugr 77R and am worried it will be too big and will have to buy taller rings. That could get expensive.

Hawk

Hawk,

Is it a brand new Ruger77 ?. If it is, then call Ruger CS and ask them to replace one of the supplied ring mount(shorter of the two) for the next size up. They will replace it free of charge as long as it has not been used and you return the short mount to them. I believe you're going to need a size 5 and a 6 to mount that scope. That's what I ended up doing to my New Ruger Hawkeye.

No. I bought it in '76. It has definitely been used.

Hawk