Thread: removing primer pocket crimp...

removing primer pocket crimp...

I have some 223 brass that buddy sent me. It has crimped primer pockets. Only thing i have on hand for removing said crimp is a primer pocket reamer.

Is it safe for me to assume that tool will work just fine ro remove the crimp? Ive tried it and it seems to be cool, but i dont want to do a couple hundred only to find out thats no bueno.

What say ye?
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Re: removing primer pocket crimp...

if your reamer has a chamfer for the pocket edge, then you can use it. i used a mouth chamfer tool to do the same thing, but it takes time.

i eventually got Dillons swager tool and it does a nice job. may want to look into one since there are alot of USGI brass out there.

fyi, RCBS makes a tool/die setup to use on your press. iirc, it can be tricky tho since the swaging tool/ram can bend easily and it may or maynot work on some presses due to clearance issues. i got one for my bro and he uses it and said it worked great.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

The hand held one works fine. I have done a lot of cases with that thing, tedious as all hell but it works.

I have used the RCBS swager unit with no issues at all. It comes with a swaging plug for both small and large rifle sizes and I've used it on .308 and .223 G.I. brass. It's about $40, but I like it.
    Please read the reviews on Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235...swager-combo-2
    Last edited by shooter; 05-04-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

It will work, but it's really sloooooooow work on a bunch of cases. I got the Dillon tool to do that crimp removal. You can do a lot of cases in a little time with one. Has anvils for large and small primers, too.
    Politics: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I realized that it already had.

a word of caution, military brass may have thicker walls, resulting in a different capacity than civilian brass. This can lead to higher pressures for the same loads.
    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Slow ? Maybe with the hand cranked apparatus its *supposed* to go on. I have drill, a vise, and some tape and i aint askeered to combine them into something more efficient ....

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post
    a word of caution, military brass may have thicker walls, resulting in a different capacity than civilian brass. This can lead to higher pressures for the same loads.
    Ill doue check that. Thanms for the remknder. The good thing is that i am currently using a starting load anyway. I should be good to go.

I use a variable-speed cordless drill motor and the primer pocket reamer that came with my Lyman case trimmer. It cuts the crimp out and leaves a slight chamfer to help the primer start into the pocket. Just be careful and don't overdo the chamfer. It's pretty simple to get a routine going where I can do 10 cases a minute of so.
    Jerry
    Attention drivers with smart phones:
    Keep your eyes on the road and your head out of your apps!

I have an RCBS crimp remover you can have. I'll bring to Jerry's for the SE shoot, it's your's I don't use it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I have an RCBS crimp remover you can have. I'll bring to Jerry's for the SE shoot, it's your's I don't use it!!
    Bring it on up.

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    Bring it on up.
    I'll bring my brass, send it home with you. Send it back when you're done, mmm kay?

I have some 223 brass that buddy sent me. It has crimped primer pockets. Only thing i have on hand for removing said crimp is a primer pocket reamer.

Is it safe for me to assume that tool will work just fine ro remove the crimp? Ive tried it and it seems to be cool, but i dont want to do a couple hundred only to find out thats no bueno.

What say ye?
    A good buddy would have run them through his crimp swager before he sent them, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    A good buddy would have run them through his crimp swager before he sent them, huh?
    Yeah. But i cant complain about free. I just now started working them up.

Yeah. But i cant complain about free. I just now started working them up.
    Good thing. You better have some good loads worked up by the end of the month! I wanna see what that puppy will do!
    You need some 55gr Vmaxes to try? I have a pile.

Just loaded up 50. 30 ish 55grain Vmax, and the rest 55 grain Zmax. Bass Pro had them on sale for 75 per 500. I hope they shoot as good as the regular Vmax. As I have a lot of them. I THINK they are the same profile,(hard to see with my crappy eyes) but I know the Zmax have a cannelure where the Vmax didnt.
    Also, I am not using the same brass. I KNOW what the Vmax will do with 322 and Winchester brass. Hopefully these will work too. They will work good enough though, as I wont worry as much about losing brass to the fire ants.

Oh yeah. A cordless drill makes short work of crimp removal.

I have been using the Dillon equipment for a number of years and am pleased with same.

I have used this on 308, 30-06, 223, rifle brass.

I have recently used it on S&B 38spl brass. I am not sure if the brass has crimped primer pockets or simply not uniform in size. Either way after running the brass through the Dillon swagger I had had no problems with crushed or loose primers.

It is not cheap but I doubt you could wear it out in you or your children's lifetime.

That being said there are several other methods that will do the job at a lower cost.

Depends how much brass you, or perhaps a pool of shooting buddies, have to process.
    Last edited by 41magnut; 05-06-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Just loaded up 50. 30 ish 55grain Vmax, and the rest 55 grain Zmax. Bass Pro had them on sale for 75 per 500. I hope they shoot as good as the regular Vmax. As I have a lot of them. I THINK they are the same profile,(hard to see with my crappy eyes) but I know the Zmax have a cannelure where the Vmax didnt.
    Also, I am not using the same brass. I KNOW what the Vmax will do with 322 and Winchester brass. Hopefully these will work too. They will work good enough though, as I wont worry as much about losing brass to the fire ants.

Oh yeah. A cordless drill makes short work of crimp removal.
    The Zmax is exactly the same as the Vmax except for the color of the tip. $58/500 @ Midsouth shooters. oops!

Also, don't forget, that you can get Hornady soft point 55 gr. for $46/500 and Midsouth Varmint Nightmare soft point for $40/500.
    Last edited by jwv2001; 05-06-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    .....if evil men were not now and then slain it would not be a good world for weaponless dreamers. --Kipling

The Lyman primer pocket reamer tool works fine for removing the crimp from military 5.56x45 NATO brass.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/643...mer-tool-small

The one I have is close to 20 years old and has a wood handle but I think the new ones should work just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by jwv2001 View Post
    The Zmax is exactly the same as the Vmax except for the color of the tip. $58/500 @ Midsouth shooters. oops!

Also, don't forget, that you can get Hornady soft point 55 gr. for $46/500 and Midsouth Varmint Nightmare soft point for $40/500.

Grrrrrrrrrr. Could have saved close to 20 bucks. Oh well, they are bought and paid for. And actually got at a good price for around here. My luck is when I go to order stuff they are always out. Lesson learned, I suppose. I DID however TRY to check online prices before I bought them. But my smart phone was not so smart inside BP. BP eats cell signal.