Thread: So where is the predicted bloodbath in Iraq?

So where is the predicted bloodbath in Iraq?

Many folks (myself included) predicted a wholesale bloodbath in Iraq following our withdrawal, well it ain't happened. Sure, some bombings, but not nearly the wholesale chaos/civil war that seemed a real possibility. So, so far so good more or less. I hope it holds to everyday run-of-the-mill level of violence (for that part of the world) and doesn't escalate.
    Time will tell.

Maybe they want a stabilized country with a future, maybe one of the warring factions just can't get a one up on the others (Curds/Shiites and Sunnis) right now the way power was divided up and elections determined, I dunno.
    Last edited by Big Chief; 05-04-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: So where is the predicted bloodbath in Iraq?

I'm cautiously optimistic. Or, maybe, just not pessimistic. Iraqis have traditionally been a bit less religion-crazed than many of the other Muslim-dominated countries. Their economy is picking up, and their government seems to be moderately sane (which is a lot to ask for in the Middle East). The Iraqi army is also one of the better trained and competent of the region (not counting of course Israel).

Maybe, Big, as you said, the Iraqis want a stable country and a decent life to live rather than running around killing each other. At least, most of them it appears. And compared with their neighbors, the Iraqis also seem to have a somewhat open society, the businesses, everyday people, press freedoms and individual liberties lacking elsewhere by comparison.

We can only hope. Right now, at least, the center appears to be holding. Ya never know. Could happen.
    -----------------------------------------------
    "Why isn't a Corn Maze called a Maize Maze?" - Tricoastal Tracy

I hope the different factions can learn to play nice. But they are easily offended. And Iran is stirring the pot on the sly. Just have to wait and see if they make a go of it, and tell Iran to go pound sand.
    Politics: Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I realized that it already had.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    I hope the different factions can learn to play nice. But they are easily offended. And Iran is stirring the pot on the sly. Just have to wait and see if they make a go of it, and tell Iran to go pound sand.
    Saadam had run a lot of Shiite radicals into Iran. Now they are coming back, after learning even more radical teachings while in Iran.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson