Thread: You are kidding - these guns can't shot - or can they?

You are kidding - these guns can't shot - or can they?

post removed
    Last edited by beartracker; 06-14-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Re: You are kidding - these guns can't shot - or can they?

Mike, I'm ashamed of you - you stole that guy's gun! [Good shooting, though]

Why two keys..................in case /when one breaks...............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Senior Member Slanteyedshootist's Avatar

Congratulations on the new gun. I think.

Well even a blind squrrel finds a nut every once and awhile........
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

No. Even a bad company can get one right.... every once in awhile.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Not a price and it shoots. I ain't going to say nothing bad about you, I bought a Hi-Point one time just to see how it works.
    Randy

Rank does not concur privileges. It imposes responsibility. Author unknown

Knew that was going to happen...I had a PT series in .45 ACP for quite awhile...there were around 5K rounds through it before I sold it to a friend in need. Regardless of the lineage it was a shooter - accurate and dependable...not one malfunction in all those rounds. Actually, I think the bull got it right with this line of pistols....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I shot one like that awhile back, in .45ACP. Once I figured out the crunchy/spongey/creepy trigger, it was a very good shooter. Felt great, pointed naturally, looked cool, but I still don't own one.

However, for $200 and I get to shoot it first, I'm in.

I was always very happy with my Taurus guns... until they broke.

I hope this is a good one, and you have no issues with it. Actually, I hope Taurus turns around and takes their innovation and executes well with perfect quality control. But until they do...
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I have two taurus pistols and they shoot just fine
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    I was always very happy with my Taurus guns... until they broke.

I hope this is a good one, and you have no issues with it. Actually, I hope Taurus turns around and takes their innovation and executes well with perfect quality control. But until they do...
    DITTO!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I have two taurus pistols and they shoot just fine
    Don't tell me............... one is a .327 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by beartracker View Post
    Well if it breaks I will tell you guys first, but for 200.00 and shoot like this one I am not going to worry about that until it happens if it does, and until then I will have some fun with this one.
    Man, that is a great price these days and you got to test fire it first, can't beat that with a stick. I personally would have passed on the deal, just because of my prejudices/experiences with Taurus . I sincerely hope it turns out to be a longtime "Keeper" fer ya. I mean that.

Banned

Their autos seem to cause much less grief than their revolvers.

Taurus is like going on a blind date and hoping for a Sophia Loren , then getting a Phyllis Diller

OK, my analogy may be a little outdated, but back in the day..........................

I'd say it is out dated, but so are you and me Big Chief
    I used to love those skits/movies where her (Diller) and Bob hope would go at it and he would try and get away......fast

I also hope Taurus got it right with this gun, after all, the technology is mature for polymer guns by now, and it is copied too, My problems were with Taurus revolvers, not their autoloading pistols.........

My advice is: unlock it, throw away the keys.......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    Don't tell me............... one is a .327 Magnum
    9mm and 10mm short

Don't worry, it is not going to ever be locked.
    The taurus lock works as it should.

Not bad Bear, not bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good deal.
    "It is what it is"

I have 4 Taurus handguns and have no issues with any of them. I would not keep a handgun that did not operate well.

My gun vault is the "Brad & Angelina" household of gun vaults. Taurus handguns set right next to my S&W's, Rugers and Colts. A true hodgepodge of lineages.

Good shooting, BTW!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

At that price, no one could pass it up, in My case, I do not buy foofy brands, I like stuff that is tried and true, bomb-proof in a sense, hence why sometimes I prefer to buy a used service weapon over a newer foofy one......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

This reminds me of Mercury Outboard Motors. There's a joke about them down here. Why do you need two of em on that small boat? One to go out and one to get you back in!!! LOL! Mercury had such a bad reputation around these parts you could barely give one away. A guy actually gave my dad one once. It never ran. Anyway, then Mercury got sold to another parent company and they put their heads together and figured out the key problems with them. I remember my dad saying the problem was they turned too high RPM and didn't hold up. But I knew this was a crock because they didn't turn that much more RPM more than anything else in stock configuration. They were a little faster, but I don't believe they were shaking themselves apart. There were other reasons for their lack of reliability.

The new owners identified the few problems with their product and improved on it. This is where the Mariner outboard came from. It is called a Salt Water Mercury. However, it didn't take Mercury long before they incorporated the changes in the Mercury itself.

The original Mercury had several weak spots. For one, they needed to improve and beef up the water pump design. Johnsons and Evinrudes would almost pump straight mud and the pump would still work fine, while if a Merc got any debris in it the pump would probably be toast. That's not a big problem on a lake or a deeper body of fresh water where you don't drag the lower unit in the mud and shell, but in a shallow salty bay it becomes a big factor in reliability. Secondly, they needed to improve the reliability of both the carburation and ignition. Even though when they were running right, they would out perform about any OMC product, they weren't reliable, not even in fresh water. The basic design of the engine was really sound, in fact they were very tough. The boat racing industry used them because they could turn up the RPM and hold together. They just weren't designed for sustained salt water use. The corrosive properties of salt water can take a toal on every part of an outboard motor if it isn't designed to prevent it.

OMC who made Johnson-Evinrude in the day, made their motors with this in mind. They were dependable if nothing else. They may not win at the races, but it was almost a sure thing that they would get you back to the dock every time. Nowadays you see Mercury's all over the place around here. They are now reliable and smooth running and start on the first try. But you still hear some people making jokes about them and bad mouthing them. Old opinions die hard.

I'm not saying Taurus is there yet, but just that they may follow or be following the same course as Mercury Outboards did. If they're smart they will be taking care of business and identifying and improving their product's every perceived weakness.

You know, thinking about it, you could apply this same story to Savage Arms too.
    Last edited by snake284; 05-05-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

To re-cap, I never saw personally problems with the Taurus version of the Beretta 92 for example, however, the revolvers I did have were made of a very soft alloy, and would wear out quickly, also the cylinder stop was made of a bit of bent flat stock instead of a solid machined part.......

Smile Re: You are kidding - these guns can't shot - or can they?

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    This reminds me of Mercury Outboard Motors. There's a joke about them down here. Why do you need two of em on that small boat? One to go out and one to get you back in!!! LOL! Mercury had such a bad reputation around these parts you could barely give one away. A guy actually gave my dad one once. It never ran. Anyway, then Mercury got sold to another parent company and they put their heads together and figured out the key problems with them. I remember my dad saying the problem was they turned too high RPM and didn't hold up. But I knew this was a crock because they didn't turn that much more RPM more than anything else in stock configuration. They were a little faster, but I don't believe they were shaking themselves apart. There were other reasons for their lack of reliability.

The new owners identified the few problems with their product and improved on it. This is where the Mariner outboard came from. It is called a Salt Water Mercury. However, it didn't take Mercury long before they incorporated the changes in the Mercury itself.

The original Mercury had several weak spots. For one, they needed to improve and beef up the water pump design. Johnsons and Evinrudes would almost pump straight mud and the pump would still work fine, while if a Merc got any debris in it the pump would probably be toast. That's not a big problem on a lake or a deeper body of fresh water where you don't drag the lower unit in the mud and shell, but in a shallow salty bay it becomes a big factor in reliability. Secondly, they needed to improve the reliability of both the carburation and ignition. Even though when they were running right, they would out perform about any OMC product, they weren't reliable, not even in fresh water. The basic design of the engine was really sound, in fact they were very tough. The boat racing industry used them because they could turn up the RPM and hold together. They just weren't designed for sustained salt water use. The corrosive properties of salt water can take a toal on every part of an outboard motor if it isn't designed to prevent it.

OMC who made Johnson-Evinrude in the day, made their motors with this in mind. They were dependable if nothing else. They may not win at the races, but it was almost a sure thing that they would get you back to the dock every time. Nowadays you see Mercury's all over the place around here. They are now reliable and smooth running and start on the first try. But you still hear some people making jokes about them and bad mouthing them. Old opinions die hard.

I'm not saying Taurus is there yet, but just that they may follow or be following the same course as Mercury Outboards did. If they're smart they will be taking care of business and identifying and improving their product's every perceived weakness.

You know, thinking about it, you could apply this same story to Savage Arms too.
    A marriage made in Heaven.............Mercury Motors to get us out in the water and Taurus for anchors when we get there.............