Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former G&A editor

Former G&A editor

Found this on another site.

By David Edwards
    Friday, May 4, 2012 9:41 EDT

The former editor of Guns & Ammo magazine was accused of murdering a friend with a gun and ammo in Golden Valley, Arizona on Wednesday.
    Mohave County sheriff’s charged 53-year-old Richard Erick Venola with second-degree murder for the killing 39-year-old James Patrick O’Neill, who was found dead at the scene.
    Sheriff department spokeswoman Trish Carter told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Venola shot O’Neill in the chest with a “high-caliber” rifle and at least three weapons were removed from the scene. O’Neill was visiting the former Guns & Ammo editor’s house at the time.
    Detective Larry Matthews wrote in his report that Venola seemed to be intoxicated by the time he talked to officers. Neighbors told deputies that the the suspect was having “heavy words” with O’Neill.
    “Mr. Venola came over to the neighbors carrying a rifle and stated he just killed a man,” according to the report. “Mr. Venola acknowledged he killed the man, but didn’t say why.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/0...izona-slaying/
    Barry

Re: Former G&A editor

Your link did not work, but, a google search did produce several others with the same info.
    We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Well that's not good.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    You have the rest of your life to deal with your problems. How long you live depends on how well you do it.

Perhaps he was not affiliated with G&A.......

BTW,, The former editor of Guns & Ammo, is incorrect, it should read: A former editor for G&A magazine....
    Last edited by DoctorWho; 05-05-2012 at 04:06 AM.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

We have all seen how initial media reports of a shooting can be horribly wrong.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Wow, what a shame!

I really liked his writing. He even wrote an article about picking up his kids from his ex-wife and taking them out plinking. (Related?)

I think a lot of us recognize him as one of the guys doing the torture tests on G&A TV:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/11/1...?pid=128#image
    That's all I got.

Paul

He may have violated Rule #1. Or not. Still, at least he didn't use a handgun so the local news won't be able to call for stricter handgun laws.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

What a horrible mess, it only serves to get Me to be more careful about gun safety....
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

The article said:
    "The former editor of Guns & Ammo magazine was accused of murdering a friend with a gun and ammo in Golden Valley, Arizona on Wednesday."

Really? A gun AND ammo? Thats a hack writer if I have ever seen one.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

Wow, just wow... Will reserve opinion until all facts are out but being accused of murder does not bode well for him.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Banned

Hmmm , this is not good. Seemed like a nice guy. He's made appearences on a few gun-related shows on History/Military/Discovery channels. Always enjoyed his articles. Was reading his article on the back page of the new issue a bit earlier.

Maybe he was having a medical problem.

The last sentence in his June 2012 article "Zombie Apocalypse" was "Writing this has been work...it feels like something is eating my brain."

Tragic, if true. But be wary of the gun control crowd. When they see his affiliation with a renowned gun publication,it won't matter that a handgun was not involved. They will milk this any way they can.
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post

The last sentence in his June 2012 article "Zombie Apocalypse" was "Writing this has been work...it feels like something is eating my brain."
    Perhaps he does have a medical condition ( brain tumor ) affecting his judgement etc....... I sure will not judge him in any way....

Pray for him......

Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post

I just read the article because of this post instead of waiting until I came to it working through the magazine in
    article order.
    That last sentence was meant to be humor same as he found some fun in the whole zombie craze on going at this time.
    I mean---zombie jugs, zombie ammo, zombie guns, zombie tgts ----- I just mean zombie craze......

Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post
    The article said:
    "The former editor of Guns & Ammo magazine was accused of murdering a friend with a gun and ammo in Golden Valley, Arizona on Wednesday."

Relax CeePaJe, I thought it was funny. Newspapers headlines are usually full of bad puns.
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.

Administrator

Please withhold judgment until more information is released about this.
    Richard is a close friend of many of the people who work at Guns & Ammo and other Intermedia magazines, including me, and we are all stunned.
    To clarify, he was the editor of G&A from 2007 to 2009 and since then has been a featured writer for G&A and some of the other company titles.

Please keep us posted on any updates....

Administrator

Will do.

I'm curious to hear more about this
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

The article said:

Could have been a tactical club.....
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Quote Originally Posted by conchokid View Post
    Will do.
    Good, I expect we'll get better info from you than surfing the web.

Well except for some liberal sites all giddy about a gun writer getting arrested and all the I told you so's in those sites no updates out there that I could find.
    One comment was just precious and I'm paraphrasing but it basically said that if you have a gun "collection" there is something mentally wrong with you and it talked about the inevitable progression from gun owner to murderer...
    Oh boy...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

HEy any updates on this? I can't find anything online.

I would like to know too.

There not being any updates is what I consider a good thing. They are investigating the case, and are not leaking information to the news sources. Sounds like a good PD that wants to make sure everything is right in the investigation, and they have all the facts, before they make a statement. And that's as it should be.
    Ever notice that in every Science Fiction movie about a deadly plague breakout there is a government doctor saying that they have it under control?

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    There not being any updates is what I consider a good thing. They are investigating the case, and are not leaking information to the news sources. Sounds like a good PD that wants to make everything is right in the investigation, and they have all the facts, before they make a statement. And that's as it should be.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by tennmike View Post
    There not being any updates is what I consider a good thing. They are investigating the case, and are not leaking information to the news sources. Sounds like a good PD that wants to make sure everything is right in the investigation, and they have all the facts, before they make a statement. And that's as it should be.
    I agree. Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    HEy any updates on this? I can't find anything online.
    What I can find...nothing on the court calander...but the paper says Mohave County grand jury indicted him last week...and he is expected to be arraigned on the charges May 21....till then he is still in the County jail on $100,000 bond............. http://www.mohavedailynews.com/artic...d143481324.txt ......I will keep an eye on what happens next.........Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....

Thanks for the update Ken
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.