Thread: Food for Thought

Food for Thought

Some time ago I decided to have my PDS (Personal Defense System ) with me at all times where I could do so legally.

My concealment garments have been simple and, as best as I can determine, effective. I have yet to be chewed up by a police dog, find myself staring down the bore of a duty weapon face down on the pavement, or have someone running out of an establishment screaming "GUN GUN GUN"

Shirts designed to be worn with the tail out i.e. Hawaiian shirts (without the flash of neon colors) or Cabana casual shirts. $11.00 on sale @ J C Penny. I have tried buying a size larger than necessary to make the tail longer, but found the look to be too disheveled to suit my taste.

When temps are moderate, a sport coat or fleece pull over or jacket slightly over sized serves quite nicely. I have recently found long sleeve shirts with the tail cut straight so it can be worn with the tail out and not look sloppy. One of these is en route so we will see how it looks.

Am I missing something?

I have heard this type of dress described as "shoot me first" attire. I agree with this statement when a photographer's or some of the tactical vest are concerned. General run of the mill garments that cover the piece seem to serve nicely.

I have asked the Matriarch and our Princess if they can tell I have my PDS on my hip. Both have said since they know what is there, they notice something is there, but they can not determine what is there. Bottom line - 98% of the folks go around in their own little world and are unaware of anything beyond their cell phone keyboard. Any one who might notice something probably isn't concerned.

Oh, my PDS of choice is a compact size handgun (similar to a G19) in a belt slide holster, not a pocket pistol.
    Last edited by 41magnut; 05-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Re: Food for Thought

I made that same choice several years ago myself,

Dickies work shirts work well as they are square cut and can be worn untucked and just naturally go with jeans.

Most Polo shirts work well too but you might have to buy them in tall sizes.

In moderate to hot weather I wear a denim vest that looks like a jean jacket with the sleeves cut off but then again I also ride a motorcycle so that look seems about right.

When it gets real hot (like it tends to do here in southern Arizona)and I decide to wear shorts then its either a polo type shirt or a Hawaiian.

Mostly I carry a SR9c OWB at about 4:00 and have not been made yet,as far as I know.
    USMC 80-84

Magnut, I made the same decision years ago. Winter is not a problem, as I can effectively conceal my 1911 quite well under a coat.

Summer concealment is attained by a Duluth Trading Longtail button-up shirt over a t-shirt; the t-shirt keeps my pistol from rubbing, and the overshirt covers everything nicely, with no printing while carrying in an IWB holster.

I see no need to spend megabucks on specialized "concealed carry clothing" when there are easily affordable options already out there.
    NRA Endowment Member

I don't think you're missing anything. Simple clothes, bought with a bit of forethought, is the name of the game.
    I think the biggest thing is not to look out of the ordinary. Sounds like you're right on.

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    I think the biggest thing is not to look out of the ordinary.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

I think the biggest thing is not to look out of the ordinary.
    That's easy for you, but some of have been blessed with roguish good looks and can't help but attract the attention of others.

I tend to dress like Magnut's advocating. I've found that patters, especially plaids, help break up the outline of a firearm if it does print a little.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    That's easy for you, but some of have been blessed with roguish good looks and can't help but attract the attention of others.

I tend to dress like Magnut's advocating. I've found that patters, especially plaids, help break up the outline of a firearm if it does print a little.
    I have been told about the plaids hiding the print/outline of the f/a. Can't argue against that and will consider a plaid shirt in the future. I prefer long sleeve shirts for daily wear so am pleased to find the shirts I mentioned. I will also look at the Dickie's work shirts. Wranglers are my off work garment of choice and fortunately they go with just 'bout everything.

The bottom line of my posting is that I feel too many people over engineer the art of CCW.

I've been buying my "concealed carry" clothes at Tractor Supply for a few years now...no need to spend a ton of money in order to dress around your firearm...I think the "niche" for the high end carry clothes, are those folks for whom "carrying" is still kind of a novelty...
    Last edited by Jayhawker; 05-07-2012 at 01:47 AM.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    Is that with or without the beard?

Simple is good.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Is that with or without the beard?
    Either.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Duluth Trading sells long tail T-shirts. I wear them because it prevents people from getting too excited by the exposure of my ample, manly rump. I am a contractor, not some piece of meat showing off my wares! These shirts seem to shield my butt from sunburn. Not only that, but they use a thicker material than most T-shirts-- they last longer and are more durable...
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...-t-shirts.aspx
    Last edited by Jermanator; 05-07-2012 at 04:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KENFU1911 View Post
    It's diameter is .277..........the number of the Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermanator View Post
    Duluth Trading sells long tail T-shirts. I wear them because it prevents people from getting too excited by the exposure of my ample, manly rump. I am a contractor, not some piece of meat showing off my wares! These shirts seem to shield my butt from sunburn. Not only that, but they use a thicker material than most T-shirts-- they last longer and are more durable...
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...-t-shirts.aspx
    I like it long too!!! WooHoo!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Undercover / plain clothes cops have been doing just that for ages, do what work best for you.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

I've been carrying a lot lately in a fanny pack. Yeah, not fashionable. And I'm sure tons of people know I'm packing when I do... But so far I haven't had any issues at all. When I don't feel like being that obvious I have an .22 mag NAA mini-revolver in my pocket unless I am going somewhere that carry isn't permitted (51% establishments mostly). I just try to avoid anywhere that posted with a legally enforceable 30.06 sign.