Thread: S&W M&P 15 sport(mini report)

S&W M&P 15 sport(mini report)

[IMG][/IMG]

Did not make it to the actual range as I had hoped but was able to get out in the woods behind my brothers place for a function check.
    We set up an impromptu target at about 35 yards (dense woods ) and ran 100 rounds of really old Ten-X 55gr fmj ammo without a hitch.
    Shooting off hand with un-familiar sights we managed to shoot the 2" centers out of half a dozen targets. Not impressive by some standards but for a first run with a new platform, I'm happy. Resting against a tree cut those down to about 1".
    I feel confident that with some load work, a solid bench and an optical sight of some sort( to relieve the burden on these old eyes ) I can shrink those groups considerably.
    As for optics, I am considering the Nikon P-223 3x32 useing the Nikon m-223 AR mount. Anyone used these?
    Who makes a good quality 10rnd magazine? It would seem rather cumbersome to try and use the 30rnd mag it came with from a bench.
    What bullet weight would optimize the 1in8 twist of this barrel?
    Only 100 rounds and I am addicted to this thing. This could be bad

Sako

Re: S&W M&P 15 sport(mini report)

You joined the crowd

I still don't have an AR but my son lets me use his....LOL
    congratulations 20 rounders work pretty good from the bench

get the 20 round Pmags. They work fine from the bench, and are cheaper than the 10 rounders.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

They are fun!! I have a 1-4X Nikon 223 on my Bushmaster, perfect for the kind of informal plinking I do with it. I used the Burris PEPR mount instead, it was about $10 less and it has Weaver rails on top of the mount for a flashlight or laser sight.
    Got the scope and mount on E bay.
    IMG]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqYOKpcE4vZ!uLtQBOSbWdsqi!~~60_35.JPG[/IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burris-41034...item35bb9cf0e2

Welcome to the dark side!

I have several 20-rd PMags and they all have issues with chambering the last 2 rounds in my ARs...they won't even get stripped from the mag. I really like the Thermold 20-rounders. They are solid, lightweight, and work in all of my ARs flawlessly (http://www.cdnninvestments.com/zzzar220thmi.html). At $4/ea, you can't go wrong. CDNN usually has deals on shipping on weekends so you can sign up for their mailing list to get the notice. As some point, these were on sale for $3/ea too.

I have 2 Nikon M223 1-4x on M223 factory mount. I do like them, but sometimes wished the reticle were illuminated. I've been contemplating switching to the Fullfield Tac 30, but keep going back and forth so I'm keeping the M223 for now.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Nice gun! Congrats
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Banned

Nice , a co-worker (former Marine) who has been shooting with me ordered one and might get it today. I know S&W was in cahoots with Stag for some of their early AR/M&P parts. I think Stag got the raw forgings from S&W and machined receivers for them , or something like that.

Most 10rd mags I've see are based on a 20rd size body. If they were shorter , they'd be a pain to get in.

I still prefer to use 20rd mags at the range. Got a bunch of Vietnam-era USGI Colt mags. They still work perfectly.

Just got an email from CDNN. Their current specials: http://www.cdnninvestments.com/specials.html

If you need 2 of the mags listed there in the specials, you can pick up 3 or 4 of the Thermold 20 rounders and get everything shipped to you for free.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Thanks all for the suggestions. Looks like 20 rounders may be the way to go. Considered the P.E.P.R mount but really don't like how they look with the 1913 rail on top. The clean line of the Nikon mount are what caught my eye.

Sako

Quote Originally Posted by sakodude View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Looks like 20 rounders may be the way to go. Considered the P.E.P.R mount but really don't like how they look with the 1913 rail on top. The clean line of the Nikon mount are what caught my eye.

Sako
    I believe the P.E.P.R mount includes in the box 2 types of top, the railed and the smooth. You may want to double check with whoever you're buying it from (or Burris themselves), but here's what I found: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=18&t=521878

Al

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I believe the P.E.P.R mount includes in the box 2 types of top, the railed and the smooth. You may want to double check with whoever you're buying it from (or Burris themselves), but here's what I found: http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=18&t=521878

Al
    Thanks Al, thats good to know. I was only going by what was pictured when I searched at midway and cabelas.
    Edit to add, I just looked at Cabelas, Midway, and Burris and found no mention of having both top sets. Noticed the link was over a year old, could be a discontinued feature. I will keep looking.

Sako
    Last edited by sakodude; 05-12-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post

Al
    Yep. Both of mine came with both smooth and railed tops. One thing about the PEPR (if it matters), they aren't lightweight!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson