Thread: Walther P22 Pros Cons?

Walther P22 Pros Cons?

Probably shouldn't ask you to talk me out of it, so I'll just ask for the good and bad.
    Simply, I want a pocket .22 semi. I have revolvers, MKII etc. in .22, but nothing "pocket sized", and being thin, smaller is nice for summer carry.
    I have shot it before and kinda liked it. Anything better? Ruger SR22P? Even open to oddball items

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!

Re: Walther P22 Pros Cons?

I like mine. Its pop can accurate, and thats about it. Some can be picky with ammo but mines not. They are a hoot, but the price has reallu crept up to the point where they are too expensive for what they are, IMHO.
    That don't confront me, as long as I get my money by next Friday.

use your googlefu and readup on the various reviews.

but in a nutshell.

some people have had good luck with them, some not. there have been issues with slide cracking and i havent heard/read about any fix or if it was a batch issue.

the one i have was a jambomatic for a while, but it appears to have worked the problem. could have been ammo or NIB related issues.

depending on what you want and why you want it there are alot of options and of course the item you left out $$$$. it always comes down to $$$.

IE:

Beretta 87 - do you want quality? $$$ comes with it.
    Beretta made some small 22s. you will have to settle for used most likely.
    Walther PP, PPK, PPK/s, THP. these are really nifty pistols. If you can find one AND afford one.
    S&W #? they made a 5 round pocktpistol. i forget the model #.
    Sig Mosquito. could be good/bad also. DA trigger is way too heavy for a 22 or pistol in general.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Presently, I can get either the Walther for $290 OTD or the Ruger for $350 OTD. Not so much a dollar issue as wanting personal experiences.
    In warm weather, I either carry a Grendel P12 or CZ-50. Mainly looking for a pocket .22 to add to my summer carry options.
    Just going with what is locally available for now and testing the waters. I'll check out the Beretta and see if there is one around.
    Thanks.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    Presently, I can get either the Walther for $290 OTD or the Ruger for $350 OTD. Not so much a dollar issue as wanting personal experiences.
    In warm weather, I either carry a Grendel P12 or CZ-50. Mainly looking for a pocket .22 to add to my summer carry options.
    Just going with what is locally available for now and testing the waters. I'll check out the Beretta and see if there is one around.
    Thanks.
    Matt
    I've owned both (and still presently own the Ruger SR22 pistol). Go with the Ruger. I liked my P22 a lot, but I now a more accurate pistol of the same type that is easier to take down, about the same trigger but slightly more accurate, and not at all finicky about ammo. It'll eat anything from target loads to hunting loads without a hitch.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Well, I wouldn't call it a pocket pistol. Mine is reliable and MO coke can accurate. I don't carry it much, I got it for a silencer, which makes it quiet but also obscures the front sight.

I would bet that the Ruger is just a Walther re-named. They seem to be VERY similar.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

They're kinda bulky to be a pocket pistol. And why go with a .22? You can get a .380 or 9mm in a smaller package with better performance.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns

Think I agree with breamfisher; I have the PPKS and carry it often. The factory grips left a lot to be desired but 2 hrs in the shop with a piece of Limoncillo fixed that!
    In reply to Xerxes' demand to lay down his weapons, Leonidas replied;
    "Molon Labe"..... "Come and take them!"

Some would argue that a centerfire round is less prone to misfire than a rimfire. Many .32's and .380's out there that are a lot smaller for pocket carry.

Although I'm surprised there isn't more Tomcat sized pocket auto's in .22 out there. Would think KelTec would be all over that
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I have a .380 and .32 in what I consider a "pocket pistol", as stated in #4...just wanting to add a similar package in .22 is all, and a reliable one to boot.
    Matt

All of those I've seen and tested over here couldn't be considered as a reliable weapon for personal defense/carry. Usual problems were: Picky regarding ammo; random but multiple failures to fire, extract, etc. due to assorted issues such as misaligned magazine lips, etc.; firing pin issues; mainspring issues.
    Seems like you have to be a tad lucky to get one that works properly with most ammo excluding target and subsonic rounds.

Better choices in compact centerfire pistols for such duty.

Though the P 22 can work well, the ammo in the mag looks like a jumbled mess; makes me wounder how it can feed.

Then the other issue for me is it can be a real pain to re-assemble one of those puppies.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

I don't know of any "pocket-sized" semi-autos in .22lr--just about all the .22lr semi's appear to be about the same size as the P22 & SR22. For carry purposes, I can't see any advantage having a .22lr firearm. I do understand the reason you are inquiring about one but as the guys above have said, a small .380 or a small 9mm would serve you better & can be concealed easily with Summer clothes and on a slim human frame.

My P22 has been a good reliable gun. My main purpose for it is training because it feels kind of like my PPS but cost a lot less to feed. It's also a good plinker and good teaching gun for SD (NOT for target shooting). All in all it was a good investment though I would not really consider it a pocket carry gun.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by roadking View Post
    I'll just ask for the good and bad.

Matt
    From what I have read it seems to be a little of both.

I just went through this very same thing..I did my researched watched utube video's and read a ton of reviews on. The four guns I had narrowed it down to. I knew I wanted a .22 so I was looking for first pick was a Buck Mark Std, Then the Sig Sauer Mosqito, Walther P22, or Ruger SR22. For some reason the Buck Mark stainless that I wanted is on order. So I still wanted something now. The Sig is smaller than the Walther and the Ruger, and yes the the Walther and the Ruger look a lot a like but can clearly feel the difference hold them in your hand. When I started doing my research I started to notice that there seemed be a lot of people were having issues with the Sig and the Walther lots of failure's, but I honestly think most of them were feeding them the wrong ammo. So I ended up with the Ruger SR22 and could not be any happier I am in love with It and think I made the right choice. First of all the Ruger came out of the box with two grips, two mags, and two additional floor plates for the mags to make it a little longer. It is very acurate for not being a target gun. I do not carry this gun, but only cause I am not allowed in the state of Illinois but if I could I would.

I say carry what feels comfortable to you, the guys are right, there are larger cal guns you could carry but you could be deadly armed with a kitchen knife if your good at using it. It is a fact that more people are killed by .22 lr than any other caliber. Also, Mob hitman used .22lR cause it didn't make such a mess like tha larger cals do
    Last edited by jen22; 06-07-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Pro:

It is a fun little pistol
    It is a great training aid, if you intend to use a compact pistol for self defense

Con:

Finicky about ammo - mine demands high velocity ammo
    Steep learning curve to become accurate with (but that's what makes it a good trainer for compacts)
    Costs more than it's worth (in my opinion)
    Safety is very confusing to old people (seems backwards)

Conclusion:

I like mine, but I'm never likely to carry it for self defense. It's a toy, that shoots rim-fire ammo - get a small 9mm and adapt to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jen22 View Post
    It is a fact that more people are killed by .22 lr than any other caliber. Also, Mob hitman used .22lR cause it didn't make such a mess like tha larger cals do
    The point in SD is not to kill someone eventually (or even to kill them), but to stop the threat as quickly as possible. A .22 will stop/kill someone, but how quickly?

Mob hitmen and Mussad use the .22 for headshots at very close range. I don't want a BG at very close range. The closer the BG is to you, the more you need to stop him fast......
    Last edited by jbp-ohio; 06-07-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I used to carry the p-22 as a pocket pistol until I got better pocket carry guns. It fits well in the front pocket as long as it is the short barrel version.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by jen22 View Post
    It is a fact that more people are killed by .22 lr than any other caliber. Also, Mob hitman used .22lR cause it didn't make such a mess like tha larger cals do
    More people are killed by automobiles than with guns, but that doesn't mean you should use an automobile for self defense. The reason Mossad and mob hitmen use them is because, yes, they are close up and don't want to make more noise. A "mess" doesn't figure into it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06