Thread: Best cheap Ar-15

Best cheap Ar-15

whats the best but cheapest are 15 I can find for under a grand ? using it for hog hunting and yote hunting and zombies just in case

Re: Best cheap Ar-15

Look at the S&W M&P15 Sport. It gets great reviews for such an inexpensive (just over $600) AR. I couldn't resist the temptation when I saw one at the LGS. I got the rifle, two Magpul PMAGs (the rifle comes with one PMAG stock), a Konus T1 Micro knockoff, and riser for $800 out the door. Haven't got a chance to take it to the range yet.

Not sure I'd hunt hog with a .223 though but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullgator View Post
    I'm on the fence about this. Obviously, a grown up hog is not going to be stopped by a .22 bullet unless it hits the brain, spinal cord, or can make it through to the heart-lung system. But, a .223 can be fired accurately enough to do that, especially from a rested position, and I have a good track record of making one shot kills, so I intend to try it. Most folks want a semi-auto rifle for hog hunting because they want to make multiple kills and aren't that concerned about wounding. I understand the need to eliminate this scourge and don't look down on folks that take this approach. It just isn't my way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bullgator View Post
    Look at the S&W M&P15 Sport. It gets great reviews for such an inexpensive (just over $600) AR. I couldn't resist the temptation when I saw one at the LGS. I got the rifle, two Magpul PMAGs (the rifle comes with one PMAG stock), a Konus T1 Micro knockoff, and riser for $800 out the door. Haven't got a chance to take it to the range yet.

A friend just bought a S&W Sport for $612. Very nicely made carbine.

And I agree about it being a bit light for a big hog.

Bisley, try the Speer 70 grain. It being a semi spitzer will stabilize well and especially in your 1-8 twist barrel. They penetrate well. They don't have a radically high BC, but they are deadly out to 200-300 yards. There's also a lot of true Spitzers with higher BCs out there that are 65-70 grain that will stabilize well in your rifle. But like you said, a brain or spine shot is where it's at on a hog and it's not difficult to do with a good accurate .223. Just put it in his ear. He'll go down regardless of size.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Bisley, try the Speer 70 grain. It being a semi spitzer will stabilize well and especially in your 1-8 twist barrel. They penetrate well. They don't have a radically high BC, but they are deadly out to 200-300 yards. There's also a lot of true Spitzers with higher BCs out there that are 65-70 grain that will stabilize well in your rifle. But like you said, a brain or spine shot is where it's at on a hog and it's not difficult to do with a good accurate .223. Just put it in his ear. He'll go down regardless of size.
    I'm first going to see what kind of terminal results I get with the Hornady Match hollow points. They are not really designed for game, but I don't know how much difference that is really going to make with a .22 caliber. At these velocities, I assume it will tumble when encountering something solid. No matter what bullet it is, it has to be delivered to the right spot, on larger animals.

I could be convinced otherwise about bullet selection, but unless that happens, I'll try to find out for myself.

Often see the Busshmaster ORC (Optics Ready Carbine) for sale under $700......

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mattpusa View Post
    whats the best but cheapest are 15 I can find for under a grand ? using it for hog hunting and yote hunting and zombies just in case

The best AR for hunting for under a grand is the DPMS Oracle 7.62. But it is an AR-10 in .308/ 7.62 Nato:
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-ORACLE-ATACS_ep_98-1.html
    (MSRP is $1099, but you can get it retail for $950)

If you MUST have a .223/ 5.56, then go for the Bushmaster that jpb posted.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

DPMS Oracle also comes in a AR15 configuration...with about a $650.00 price point... Mine is a solid performer..
    There is also the DPMS Sportical - no dust cover or Forward Assist...

The Stag Arms Model 3 is an excellent buy in the $700.00 neck of the woods...

You will need to add the cost of sights or optics to the overall cost of the rifle...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    DPMS Oracle also comes in a AR15 configuration...with about a $650.00 price point... Mine is a solid performer..
    There is also the DPMS Sportical - no dust cover or Forward Assist...

The Stag Arms Model 3 is an excellent buy in the $700.00 neck of the woods...

You will need to add the cost of sights or optics to the overall cost of the rifle...
    Or brass deflector. Needed if you shoot correct handed (aka left handed)....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I 2nd the DPMS sportical I bought one a year ago for mainly coyote / plinking and am very satisfied with it.

I really want something with a dust cover, it can get pretty nasty here in louisiana. what about the spike st-15 m4 carbine? and what does it mean when they say carbine???

I don't know what your best choice may wind up being but you could look for something in the AR15 platform other than 223.You could get one in 6.5 that may make a better hog gun

I really want something with a dust cover, it can get pretty nasty here in louisiana. what about the spike st-15 m4 carbine? and what does it mean when they say carbine???
    Spikes makes/assembles GREAT stuff. Can't really be beat for the money.

Bushmaster or Stag Arms. Spike's Tactical doesn't make anything - they just buy parts and assemble them in a small warehouse in central FL. They also put a really obnoxious label on their stuff...

Carbine just refers to a lighter weight model typically with a 16" barrel.

someone told me that one of the bushmaster carbines which around 750 is an all plastic reciever

someone told me that one of the bushmaster carbines which around 750 is an all plastic reciever
    That is the Carbon-15. I've seen those for $599.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

It appears that you might want to do a little research...go to the various manufactures websites and examine their offeriings...see what trips your trigger.
    Don't get too wrapped up in brands...remember, your could disassemble a DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster, Stag, etc etc....throw the parts in a big pile, stir the pile with a canoe paddle,
    and still reassemble a reliable rifle....there just ISN'T that much difference.....really....

However, avoid anything marked "Hess"

This is my Spikes tactical M-4 LE carbine. Granted, it has been modified a bit but the stock rifle is a great platform to start with. They offer features that other companies charge extra for. If you can find one i would highly recommend you get it.You just cant beat it for the money and i promise you wont regret it. As far as the "Carbine" question, all that means is that it has a shorter barrel (16 inch) and a short gas system(M-4 Style). The other models are either "rifles" which feature longer barrels and gas systems and then there is also mid length models that have 16inch barrels but medium length gas systems. But for what you want it, the carbine should serve you well. Now to address the ammo part, take a look at this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZPGSiDs5_k&feature=plcp ) it goes to show that with the right ammo the .556 can be devastating. Im sure if you put one of these right in a boars ear it will do the job. There are other great offerings like 75gr. hornady superformance that comes in HP and also flextip bullets. very nasty stuff. Hope this helps

Last edited by glockman0422; 06-09-2012 at 01:21 AM.

The base gun for this carbine was a DPMS Oracle...as with glockman...added pieces parts to come up with what I wanted for a truck gun...

whats the best but cheapest
    I love that phrase.

Del-Ton Mid-Length Carbine kit, $638 with some minor upgrades (stock, trigger, grip.)
    ProMag Red Dot Sight mount, $77 at MidwayUSA
    Bushnell Red Dot, $85 at MidwayUSA
    DPMS Fixed Rear Sight, $70 at MidwayUSA
    VTAC Padded Sling, $41 at MidwayUSA
    Lower: $100 or less.

Total, without mags: $1011.

The light added a bit more, but you may not need it.
    Unless we each conform, unless we obey orders, unless we follow our leaders blindly, there is no possible way we can remain free. - Maj. Frank Burns