Thread: Hunting in the carribbean

Hunting in the carribbean

My wife is wanting too go somewhere in the carribbean for vacation next year. Is anyone aware of any hunting opportunities in the carribbean

Moderator Note: Merged the two threads on the same subject - Wanbli Ska
    Last edited by Wambli Ska; 07-03-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Re: Hunting in the carribbean

There may be some small deer or of course there's probably some wild hogs in the Carribean. But you will probably have a problem with permits for guns and such. Ask Wambli or bruchi. They're from Puerto Rico. They may have some knowledge on opportunities.

My wife is from the Philippines. There is one island there that I know of with opportunities to hunt and that is Mindoro. They have a wild buffalo and some other large animals there. Most everywhere else anything that is edible is almost extinct.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Hunting in carribbean

Are there anyplaces in carribbean that has any hunting?

Re: Hunting in carribbean

I know that I responded to this, but it's gone.

Never mind, it came back. ZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by snake284; 07-04-2012 at 07:06 AM.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Plenty of hunting in the caribbean... It's called fishing. Dominca has nothing, Cuba is closed, the rest of the islands are small. There might be some pig hunting, but why go there instead of here? It's too hot for anything substantial to live in the wild.

IMHO

D
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Wife's wanting too go too the Caribbean or bahamas and thought might be able too do some kind of hunting a couple of days I know Bahamas have wing shooting a hog hunt would be good

You can hunt pigs, wild goats, duck and doves in PR, also varmints as monkeys and iguanas, there is hunting in some of the other nearly smaller islands as Culebra and Mona Island, Culebra has "Flamingo" one of the world's greatest beaches! There are some deer in this islands but it is ILEGAL to hunt them, now feral cats and iguanas in the smaller islands are considered varmints and pretty much there is open season on them there.

Do not even contemplate a visit to "Isla de Ratones" nothing there but "ratones" which means "mice" in Spanish and the island is a heaven not for mice but for GIANT HUNGRY RATS that come to feed at night, couple of guys made the mistake of going there on a wooden boat, engine died on them and they had to spend all night atop the boat fighting hundreds of rats with the oars and yes they got bitten plenty.

Now it is all seasonal but you are right on schedule, think hunting season here opens on Labor Day and there are seasons for gun and for bow and arrow, a "provisional" permit is required for non locals and a hunting class which I was told one taken in the US suffices.

The local permits and all info are issued by "Recursos Naturales" (local Natural Resources office) please double check EVERYTHING with them, I don't hunt so this is all "hearsay" from LOCAL buddies that do.

I warn you you to gather all your patience first in order to deal with them!

They tend to never answer their phones so I am including their address, maybe they will reply to a letter...

Write to:

Departamento de Recursos Naturales y Ambientales
    P. O. Box 366147 San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936

Tel: 787-999-2200, extensions 2100, 2115 and 2117
    Last edited by bruchi; 07-03-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruchi View Post
    You can hunt pigs, wild goats, duck and doves in PR, also varmints as monkeys and iguanas, there is hunting in some of the other nearly smaller islands as Culebra and Mona Island, Culebra has "Flamingo" one of the world's greatest beaches! There are some deer in this islands but it is ILEGAL to hunt them, now feral cats and iguanas in the smaller islands are considered varmints and pretty much there is open season on them there.

Do not even contemplate a visit to "Isla de Ratones" nothing there but "ratones" which means "mice" in Spanish and the island is a heaven not for mice but for GIANT HUNGRY RATS that come to feed at night, couple of guys made the mistake of going there on a wooden boat, engine died on them and they had to spend all night atop the boat fighting hundreds of rats with the oars and yes they got bitten plenty.

Now it is all seasonal but you are right on schedule, think hunting season here opens on Labor Day and there are seasons for gun and for bow and arrow, a "provisional" permit is required for non locals and a hunting class which I was told one taken in the US suffices.

The local permits and all info are issued by "Recursos Naturales" (local Natural Resources office) please double check EVERYTHING with them, I don't hunt so this is all "hearsay" from LOCAL buddies that do.

I warn you you to gather all your patience first in order to deal with them!

They tend to never answer their phones so I am including their address, maybe they will reply to a letter...

Write to:

Departamento de Recursos Naturales y Ambientales
    P. O. Box 366147 San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936

Tel: 787-999-2200, extensions 2100, 2115 and 2117
    MONKEYS!!! When the hell did we get MONKEYS!!!!!

When I was growing up there the only hunting was for wild pigs and goats in Mona Island. Wow things have changed a lot! Iguanas were fair game for a kid with a handmade bow and arrows and ALL birds were on my personal open season when I got my first Crossman pellet gun but that was about it!!!

Can you eat a Flamingo???
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post

It tastes like spotted owl ;)
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

MONKEYS!!! [I][B]When the hell did we get MONKEYS!!!!!
    Think they escaped from some "scientific facility" and did a lot of what monkeys do in the wild... Buddies that have hunted them tell they are crafty fellows and hard to nab.

Quote Originally Posted by bruchi View Post
    Think they escaped from some "scientific facility" and did a lot of what monkeys do in the wild... Buddies that have hunted them tell they are crafty fellows and hard to nab.
    That is so freakin cool!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by bullsi1911 View Post
    It tastes like spotted owl ;)
    Dang that's gonna need a lot of hot sauce

MONKEYS!!! When the hell did we get MONKEYS!!!!!

When I was growing up there the only hunting was for wild pigs and goats in Mona Island. Wow things have changed a lot! Iguanas were fair game for a kid with a handmade bow and arrows and ALL birds were on my personal open season when I got my first Crossman pellet gun but that was about it!!!

Have you ever heard of oyster dressing? Our standing joke here refers to eating Cormorant (Water Turkeys). Water Turkey and Oyster Dressing,

I think Flamingo would be close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanS View Post
    Plenty of hunting in the caribbean... It's called fishing. Dominca has nothing, Cuba is closed, the rest of the islands are small. There might be some pig hunting, but why go there instead of here? It's too hot for anything substantial to live in the wild.

IMHO

D

And you would be wrong, I do lots of hunting when I get to the Dominican Republic, I believe there is still a moratorium on hunting there, but it does not apply to Me as I have one of the few permanent hunting licenses....... there are Guinea hens, doves, quail, ducks and domesticated animals gone feral.... pigs, goats, chickens ducks etc........
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Substantial.... Buffalo, elk, deer, bear. Pigs are about the largest game. There are no water buffalo, hippos, giraffe, kudu, etc

D
    I'm an east block weapons kinda guy... AK's SKS, Makarov's Tokarevs ... and American guns too.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings?

Banned

For hunting, you should be dare enough to face wilderness and wild animals. You have to be very smart while going for it and it is good if you are equipped with nice and sophisticated weapons for it. Caribbean is a great place for hunting expeditions.

Quote Originally Posted by forsyther View Post
    For hunting, you should be dare enough to face wilderness and wild animals. You have to be very smart while going for it and it is good if you are equipped with nice and sophisticated weapons for it. Caribbean is a great place for hunting expeditions.
    Dude, seriously? Well, at least it isn't spam...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
    Dude, seriously? Well, at least it isn't spam...
    Yeah he's taking the shotgun approach.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY

Smile Re: Hunting in carribbean

Dude, what are you smoking? Let it go man! We, most all of us here, either hunt big dangerous game or would give our left testicle for the opportunity.

Last edited by snake284; 07-16-2012 at 01:45 AM.

Are you struggling with English as a second language? That's an open and honest question.