Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Custom Rifles

Banned

Best Custom Rifles

I am seriously contemplating getting a custom rifle made for me one day. Who are some of the best custom rifle makers you guys know of that i can look up and checkout on the internet? A couple of makers that i've looked at so far are AHR (American Hunting Rifles) and Kilimanjaro Rifles. I like whati've seen a lot better from Kilimanjaro rifles but they are a lot more expensive too. When and if i get a custom rifle i won't mind spending a few thousand dollars(maybe up to around $7,000.00) on a great rifle but i doubt i would ever go over that amount unless i became a millionaire or something. if i were a millionaire i would get the ''Doctari'' rifle from Kilimanjaro most likely in .505 Gibbs. any assistance would be very much appreciated.

P.S. the Granite Mountain Actions have gotten my interest up about them as well. i'm thinking it would be pretty nice to have a rifle built around that action.

Re: Best Custom Rifles

Well, before we get too far into this, could you tell us a little bit about the purpose of the rifle? Will it be for hunting, competition or just an all-around rifle?

There are some great makers out there, but some concentrate on hunting rifles, and other more on competition rifles. The fun part of custom rifle building is putting together the specifications , which may even include specific components.

I see you are already thinking about action, that is a great start.

Banned

just an all around rifle. it will be mostly just for shooting but would want it to be a good rifle to take hunting whenever i may feel like it also. i'm saving to get a new rifle here in the next few months so it would be quite a while before i would get the all out custom rifle but i am quite positive i will get one and at least want to know some good places to be considering until then. i may be wrong but i'm also thinking this would be a good investment and would have a good value in the future and that's one of the reasons i would put so much money in on it.

Fair enough, let's stay away from the high precision gunsmiths.

You might want to look at

Rifles, Inc. www.riflesinc.com

Jarrett Rifles www.jarrettrifles.com

Shilen Rifles www.shilen.com

Sisk Rifles www.siskguns.com

Borden Rifles www.bordenrifles.com

Hill Country Rifles www.hillcountryrifles.com

MG Arms Inc (local to me) www.mgarmsinc.com

There are many places to look at, the above are just a few that I know about. There are shops that specialize in certain types, as I said earlier, like ARs, or tactical, or comp, but the list above has shops that can do what you listed.

I think Teach is the best custom rifle builder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post

There are many places to look at, the above are just a few that I know about. There are shops that specialize in certain types, as I said earlier, like ARs, or tactical, or comp, but the list above has shops that can do what you listed.
    thanks a lot! you've given me quite a few places to checkout and i will check them all. one thing i probably should've said earlier but really didn't was that i do not want any ARs, tactical, competition or anything like that. i'm really wanting a bolt action with some beautiful wood.

Right. I didn't list those places. Only ones that will do what you were thinking about.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pez_Fartola View Post
    I like whati've seen a lot better from Kilimanjaro rifles but they are a lot more expensive too.
    I like their stuff. Beautiful Rifles!

Banned

I would stear clear of Hill Country Rifles. For the minor things they do to a factory rifle, they charge WAY too much.

Here's another to consider Empire Rifles.
    http://www.empirerifles.com/Main.htm

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre2250 View Post
    Here's another to consider Empire Rifles.http://www.empirerifles.com/Main.htm
    I concur.

Here are a couple more:

H-S Precision www.hsprecision.com

Cooper Firearms www.cooperfirearms.com

Robinson Custom Guns www.robinsoncustomguns.com

Occoquan Custom Guns www.occoquancustomguns.com

What about that Lazzoroni dude who used to come on here and say his custom rifles had "Killing Power".................

I think his name is John Lazzeroni. His site is www.lazzeroni.com All the rifles he sells are chambered in his wildcat cartridges.

For example:

6.53 (.257) Scramjet®
    7.21 (.284) Firebird®
    7.82 (.308) Warbird®
    8.59 (.338) Titan®
    9.53 (.375) Saturn
    10.57 (.416) Meteor®
    12.04 (.475) Bibamufu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    What about that Lazzoroni dude who used to come on here and say his custom rifles had "Killing Power".................
    They only worked on Greater Sonoran Wombats.................Ken
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    He makes fantastically *functional* rifles, but I don't know if I'd consider them a "work of art" which seems to be more of the direction this guy is leaning toward.

Luis

Don't discount the work of a good local gunsmith. The 'smith department at the LGS/national parts maker & seller I worked for had an extremely talented artisan who could take your choice of action (mil-surp or commercial), barrel, semi-custom stock or wood blank, and your preferences and measurements and "grow" you a rifle that would be a literal once-in-a-lifetime acquisition! You may have to do some local research to find someone nearby, but the Williams Gun Sight Company still retains this guy and his work is on a par with any custom outfit I've ever seen.

Check this gallery, and try not to drool onto your keyboard... http://www.williamsgunsight.com/guns...omgunslink.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post

I've gotten to handle rifles by several of these makers and fired a few of them. Rifles Inc - Great workmanship and good shooters, their ultralight in .300 Win Mag is punishing. Jarrett Rifles - Extremely high quality and some very innovative ideas, I don't much care for their stock finishes (too glossy). Sisk Rifles - I've handled 2 rifles made by Sisk and I was not impressed; rough metal finishes, bad glass bedding, etc. MG Arms - They seem like good, basic rifles. Workmanship seemed good.

Quote Originally Posted by robert38-55 View Post
    I think Teach is the best custom rifle builder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You beat Me to it, I have seen and shot Jerry's work, and for My money, he can produce what I want and need.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    You beat Me to it, I have seen and shot Jerry's work, and for My money, he can produce what I want and need.
    I'll add Calebib to that list as well. Haven't touched his stuff but it looks nice and six-gun and a couple other guys have been well pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez_Fartola View Post
    I am seriously contemplating getting a custom rifle made for me one day. Who are some of the best custom rifle makers you guys know of that i can look up and checkout on the internet? A couple of makers that i've looked at so far are AHR (American Hunting Rifles) and Kilimanjaro Rifles. I like whati've seen a lot better from Kilimanjaro rifles but they are a lot more expensive too. When and if i get a custom rifle i won't mind spending a few thousand dollars(maybe up to around $7,000.00) on a great rifle but i doubt i would ever go over that amount unless i became a millionaire or something. if i were a millionaire i would get the ''Doctari'' rifle from Kilimanjaro most likely in .505 Gibbs. any assistance would be very much appreciated.

P.S. the Granite Mountain Actions have gotten my interest up about them as well. i'm thinking it would be pretty nice to have a rifle built around that action.
    Man if you want to spend $7,000 on a rifle, you are WAY out of my league. I have had two built and am having another one built as we speak. I spent about $1,000 on a 98 Mauser Action putting a Shaw barrel on it and the chamber reamed to .280 Remington, put it in a Bell&Carlson stock, added a Timney Trigger with two position safety, having the bold bent, Receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts, an FN Style bolt shroud installed, and adding Redfield style mounts with a Leupold VX-1 3-9X40 scope and the barreled action blued. But I did a lot of this back in the late 80s and early 90s and it was a bit cheaper than now. I had the Timney trigger and safety added and everything blued in late 2006.

Next, I had a Howa 22-250 I bought in a pawn shop rebarreled to a .250 Savage with a Krieger Cut Rifle barrel and bedded into the Howa Synthetic stock and the Howa trigger worked over and adjusted down to about 1.5 Pounds. The blueing was fine and the Howa Stock was a bit better than Remington or Savage synthetics are. It's more rigid and it bedded in real nice. Adding a Leupold Vari X-2 3-9x40 in Leupold Redfield style bases and rings, I have about $1,400 in it and it shoots like a dream at .5 MOA with my old tired eyes behind the trigger.

The rifle I'm having built right now is a Yugo 24/47 Large Ring 98 style Mauser. I'm having a Shilen 26 inch 1 in 10 twist rate, SS .257 cal. barrel installed and the chamber reamed to .257 Roberts A/I with a Winchester Model 70 style 3 position swing safety added, with a Timney Sporter trigger, the bolt bent of course in order to clear the scope, receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts, a set of Leupold Redfield style base mounts and 30mm rings, and a Leupold VX-3L 30mm tube 4.5-14x56mm Objective lense scope with side parallex adjustment knob mounted. Also my smith is making a hinged floor plate out of the standard military blind floor plate. This all will be a bit more expensive at about $2,400. I am also putting it in a Boyd's Classic Walnut Stock and finishing it in tung oil myself. I first bought a Boyd's Pepper laminate classic stock for it and finished it in Poly Urethane but ended up putting another Yugo 24/47 action dropped in it (Right now it still has an 8x57 barrel screwed in it) that I have that I will have the bolt bent and receiver drilled and tapped and a Timney trigger installed with Beuler safety. I will have this barreled with a 26 inch Shilen SS 6mm varmint countour barrel with 1-10 twist rate with the chamber reamed to 6mm Remington. I will put the same Redfield style bases and rings (1" rings on this one) on it but with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm objective lense scope with side parallex adustment knob and with BDC Reticle on this one. I plan on spending about $1,500 on this build. Like I said, I already have the action sitting in a Boyd's Pepper Laminate Classic Stock.

I also have one more Yugo rifle for a doner action that I will re-barrel next year or whenever my gun fund recovers from this severe attack. I'm thinking of either making it a 6.5x57 or a 7x57. Haven't made my mind up yet. However, these are all what I call custom rifles and none of them approach $7,000 dollars including the scopes and mounts and they are all built to my specs. It is true that I am doing the stock work on these last ones built on the Yugo Actions, but that's only a small part of the cost. But it's much cheaper than $7,000. I know they turn out some beautiful work for those prices, but what I'm going to end up with will shoot as well because I have a very skilled smith and he will true everything up straight. I also can do some fairly nice stock work myself and will end up with some nice stock finishes. You can also find a Remington, Savage, Howa, Ruger, or whatever action out there and you won't have to modify them. No bending the bolt or adding a trigger and you may can use the factory stock if you bought a whole rifle in a pawn shop or an LGS used. Then all you need is having the barrel trued up to the action and screwed in and the chamber reamed. You can have a fine rifle for a lot less than $7,000. All you need to do is find a small town smith that does good work and doesn't think he's God's gift to the world.
    Last edited by snake284; 08-03-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Why mess with rifles that were merely inspired by the Mauser 98?

http://www.mauser.com/M-98.64.0.html?&L=1

Then there's the Dakota Arms 76 - basically a modernized, blueprinted pre-1964 Winchester Model 70.

http://www.dakotaarms.com/#!model-76
    WWJMBD?

Ok, so .277 is the number of The Beast. This makes The Beast. . .what. . .a chihuahua?

Quote Originally Posted by BPsniper View Post
    I'll add Calebib to that list as well. Haven't touched his stuff but it looks nice and six-gun and a couple other guys have been well pleased.
    Damn, I will have to start putting aside some dough......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996

Quote Originally Posted by BPsniper View Post
    I have no doubt that Calebib is an excellent rifle builder too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is"

At $7000 price point you might check out the guys at Gunwerks. www.gunwerks.com

The guy has a show on Sportsman's channel called Long Range Pursuit. That's all I know of them, but their stuff looks good so far. At $7000 you get a ready to shoot rifle package right out of the box with Noghtforce glass, custom scope turrets, the rifle, a case etc. Theyeven mke ammo for their guns featuring the Berger VLDs. It's expensive but it's a totl package deal.

Honestly at 7K you are really just starting to get into the REAL custom world, and the bottom end at that. By real custom I mean something that has to be commissioned first, like from Dwayne Weibe or the likes. While the companies that have been listed so far make GREAT rifles, a lot of them will be modified factory rifles, or basically copies of factory rifles and "improved". A Howa 1500 or Rem 700 can be "upgraded" to shoot as well, if not better then almost any single one of the previously listed rifles for fractions of the cost, you're paying for the engraved brand name. True customs, will be built from the ground up around YOU, your measurements, your wants, your needs and your intended uses. The stock will be made to fit YOU perfectly, to be an extension of your body. The rest, just like an off the shelf rifle for the most part with some minor exceptions on stock/pad length, and sized to fit most.

Take what Calebib said to heart, that man has handled guns worth more then some of us will ever make in a life time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Oh, almost forgot, those customs also usually have long waiting lists and it'll be a few years before you see your gun lol.

Also for high end "factory" rifles, also consider Dakota Arms, Nosler and NULA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snake284 View Post
    Man if you want to spend $7,000 on a rifle, you are WAY out of my league. I have had two built and am having another one built as we speak. I spent about $1,000 on a 98 Mauser Action putting a Shaw barrel on it and the chamber reamed to .280 Remington, put it in a Bell&Carlson stock, added a Timney Trigger with two position safety, having the bold bent, Receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts, an FN Style bolt shroud installed, and adding Redfield style mounts with a Leupold VX-1 3-9X40 scope and the barreled action blued. But I did a lot of this back in the late 80s and early 90s and it was a bit cheaper than now. I had the Timney trigger and safety added and everything blued in late 2006.

Next, I had a Howa 22-250 I bought in a pawn shop rebarreled to a .250 Savage with a Krieger Cut Rifle barrel and bedded into the Howa Synthetic stock and the Howa trigger worked over and adjusted down to about 1.5 Pounds. The blueing was fine and the Howa Stock was a bit better than Remington or Savage synthetics are. It's more rigid and it bedded in real nice. Adding a Leupold Vari X-2 3-9x40 in Leupold Redfield style bases and rings, I have about $1,400 in it and it shoots like a dream at .5 MOA with my old tired eyes behind the trigger.

The rifle I'm having built right now is a Yugo 24/47 Large Ring 98 style Mauser. I'm having a Shilen 26 inch 1 in 10 twist rate, SS .257 cal. barrel installed and the chamber reamed to .257 Roberts A/I with a Winchester Model 70 style 3 position swing safety added, with a Timney Sporter trigger, the bolt bent of course in order to clear the scope, receiver drilled and tapped for scope mounts, a set of Leupold Redfield style base mounts and 30mm rings, and a Leupold VX-3L 30mm tube 4.5-14x56mm Objective lense scope with side parallex adjustment knob mounted. Also my smith is making a hinged floor plate out of the standard military blind floor plate. This all will be a bit more expensive at about $2,400. I am also putting it in a Boyd's Classic Walnut Stock and finishing it in tung oil myself. I first bought a Boyd's Pepper laminate classic stock for it and finished it in Poly Urethane but ended up putting another Yugo 24/47 action dropped in it (Right now it still has an 8x57 barrel screwed in it) that I have that I will have the bolt bent and receiver drilled and tapped and a Timney trigger installed with Beuler safety. I will have this barreled with a 26 inch Shilen SS 6mm varmint countour barrel with 1-10 twist rate with the chamber reamed to 6mm Remington. I will put the same Redfield style bases and rings (1" rings on this one) on it but with a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm objective lense scope with side parallex adustment knob and with BDC Reticle on this one. I plan on spending about $1,500 on this build. Like I said, I already have the action sitting in a Boyd's Pepper Laminate Classic Stock.

I also have one more Yugo rifle for a doner action that I will re-barrel next year or whenever my gun fund recovers from this severe attack. I'm thinking of either making it a 6.5x57 or a 7x57. Haven't made my mind up yet. However, these are all what I call custom rifles and none of them approach $7,000 dollars including the scopes and mounts and they are all built to my specs. It is true that I am doing the stock work on these last ones built on the Yugo Actions, but that's only a small part of the cost. But it's much cheaper than $7,000. I know they turn out some beautiful work for those prices, but what I'm going to end up with will shoot as well because I have a very skilled smith and he will true everything up straight. I also can do some fairly nice stock work myself and will end up with some nice stock finishes. You can also find a Remington, Savage, Howa, Ruger, or whatever action out there and you won't have to modify them. No bending the bolt or adding a trigger and you may can use the factory stock if you bought a whole rifle in a pawn shop or an LGS used. Then all you need is having the barrel trued up to the action and screwed in and the chamber reamed. You can have a fine rifle for a lot less than $7,000. All you need to do is find a small town smith that does good work and doesn't think he's God's gift to the world.
    man, you have some nice rifle there and sounds like you really know what you're talking about to. maybe i'll just buy a rifle from you. LOL i'll be honest with you, i don't know a lot about what i'm doing right now because i'm new to custom rifles but i'm trying to learn. one thing i know though is in addition to being a great shooter i want a rifle that is practically a piece of art and i'm especially picky about wood. i want to be able to pick out my own wood blank for the stock and such. so far one of the only places i've seen where i can do that is Kilimanjaro rifles but they may be even to expensive for me at the moment and it might just be too expensive for me peroid to get something like that done but i'll try my best. i appreciate any knowledge you can pass on to me to help me get started in the custom gun world. take care.

Banned

thanks everyone for the info and the links to the websites. i've been checking all the websites out and trying to learn more about custom rifles and the different builders.

What about this guys:

http://www.gaprecision.net/