Thread: Springfield XD.45 vs XDM .45

Springfield XD.45 vs XDM .45

I'm looking at a Sprinfield XD?45. Was wanting some input on it versus the XDM .45. There's a considerable price difference, but is that big of a difference in home/personal defense? I'm looking at the 4" barrel. Any and all input is gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Re: Springfield XD.45 vs XDM .45

I have experience with the XD45 Service Model, the XD45 Compact, and the XDs. The original model feels just fine to me and I would not pay extra for the XDm. However, I have fairly large hands, so that may make a difference.

Only thing xdm has that the xd dosnt is the grip inserts but it just more to mess with and mess up ur shooting is what I think xd45 tactical is mine and no I didnt buy it cause it said tactical I'm not a mall ninja lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo1313 View Post
    Only thing xdm has that the xd dosnt is the grip inserts but it just more to mess with and mess up ur shooting is what I think xd45 tactical is mine and no I didnt buy it cause it said tactical I'm not a mall ninja lol
    Actually, quite a few things are different. See the following.

According to Dick Metcalf, the trigger is improved over the XD models. I know that my XDM trigger puts my Glock 17 trigger to shame! It is, according to Metcalf, a "significant performance enhancement" over the regular XD model.

Minimal Reset Trigger

"One of the most significant performance enhancements of the XDM is a redesigned trigger mechanism that has a much shorter reach and shorter reset distance. " ……….. Dick Metcalf

Read more: http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...#ixzz25DnKAU00
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!

I can attest to the trigger being better on the later XDm, but that not having it didn't hurt me with my XD.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Unless things have changed (haven't looked at new guns in a while) you can't get an XDM in 4". You got 3.8" or 4.5". I should have never sold my 4" in 40s&w, but I just fell out of love with the 40s&w round all together.

Off the top of my head, you got a better trigger with the M, larger capacity mags, match grade barrel, and the multiple grip inserts. Not sure how much the match grade barrel will help, as my XD was a tack driver of a gun.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpj View Post

There no mangos like Dans mangos.

Thanks, I am going to LGS today and see what they want for them. Buds has 1 for $490.

Probably too late, however, just check the trigger and see which is best.
    I'd go XDm if it was me.

It could be heavy with 17 rnds of .45 acp.
    Last edited by NN; 09-01-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

im going to shoot them both today, but the xd fits better to me than the xdm. LGS has xd .45 with accs for $499. not bad priced considering seen up to $599.