Thread: Another classic coming back to life... Mossberg 146B .22 S-L-LR Rifle

Another classic coming back to life... Mossberg 146B .22 S-L-LR Rifle

I used to collect Mossberg .22s from the 40-50s for a while and over the years I have gifted or sold most of them except this guy. I got it as a parts gun for free because it had no bolt and immediately took it all apart and put the parts away in case I ever needed them. The barreled action and stock were just too nice to dispose off but I figured getting another bolt for it would be next to impossible so they went into the "project pile" sometime about 25 years ago.

In comes eBay. I bumped into the old rimfire a few days ago and on a whim I looked on eBay and guess what?!?!?! A Mossberg 146B bolt was up for sale!!! It took a little doing since someone else was bidding on it but when I want someting bad enough a few dollars won't slow me down. It came in the mail today and I found the box with all the rest of the parts. I forgot EVERYTHING in these old .22s was handfit so I had to do some gunsmithing to get the safety to work with the new bolt but it is now assembled and function tested and will be test fired soon.

I've had this rifle for over 25 years and these old Mossbergs (Specially the old tube fed ones) were EXTREMELY accurate guns and they feed/fire Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles. You load this thing up with Shorts and you can pretty much shoot all afternoon. Funny how after carting it around through probably 10 moves it is finally becoming a done project

I know it needs a good cleaning but I was so excited I HAD TO post a picture!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Re: Another classic coming back to life... Mossberg 146B .22 S-L-LR Rifle

Love my Mossy bolt .22. Peep sights and seperate magazines for the shorts and longs/LRs. It's currently in the gun cabinet, and pretty sure it's the same as yours pictured (haven't used it in a while). Now I gotta pull it out and throw some lead downrange with it!

Matt
    Support your local Scouts!

That's a wonderful project gun and looks great after all those moves and all those years. Puts some groups up when you finally get to shoot it.

You're a man after my own heart, Wambli. I buy stuff that get shelved for a long time and one day, years later put it to good use (bought duck waders a good 7 years before I actually duck hunted just because it was a good deal).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Looks good E.
    Wife and I both have 151Mb's and they are FUN to shoot, accurate too
    Ya do STUPID stuff, ya win STUPID prizes

Oh, THAT is cool.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Nice rifle. Old Mossbergs are great .22 guns; I use a former military trainer 44US with the early Lyman rear sight in the local shooting club 50-yard prone competitions.
    Friend of mine got this 346B that is pretty accurate, but he hasn't been able to properly handle it for small-game hunting so it's currently stored in my gun depot for a little stock work and cleaning......seems like it will probably stay there indefinitely (Hope so!).

Those old Mossbergs are great shooters and highly underated. I have a model 340B I purchased when I still lived in Wisconsin, and it is an very accurate rifle. It has a rear peep and hooded fornt sight that switchs from post to ghost ring. It's dead on at 50 yards with the ring.

Best $60 bucks I ever spent!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    Those old Mossbergs are great shooters and highly underated. I have a model 340B I purchased when I still lived in Wisconsin, and it is an very accurate rifle. It has a rear peep and hooded fornt sight that switchs from post to ghost ring. It's dead on at 50 yards with the ring.

that is georgus (sorry gorge)
    Celebrate life, moment by moment. I plan to enjoy what time I have left, and that means MORE GUNS!

I have a 320B. It is a single shot. Only .22 I've ever seen that is most accurate with CCI Stingers... (I think it is the 24'' barrel)
    Last edited by jbp-ohio; 09-28-2012 at 06:14 AM.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

I love those old Mossberg rifles, I have a Chuckster in .22wmr that is a tack driver!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

My first gun, a birthday present age 9, was a Mossberg 152. It's a 22lr semiauto carbine, fed from a 7-round magazine. It had a fold-down front stock so you could pretend you had a machine gun or whatever. And a nice peep sight that was pretty accurate, I seem to remember -- I could dot the "i" on Budweiser cans. What fun.

So when my neighbor pals were aching for a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun, I had a REAL rifle sitting in my bedroom closet, a brick of .22 ammo nearby. And yeah, I had the BB gun, too. A lucky kid, gun-owning parents. Hey, we're from Kentucky, after all.

My little Mossberg still sits in a case in my bedroom closet, clean and well cared for. I haven't shot it for a couple years but last time it did fine.
    -----------------------------------------------
    ďA 9 mm may expand but a .45 will never shrink."

I need to strip the paint off of mine (thought it was a great idea when I did it at 16) and see what kind of shape it is in.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post

Now I know why they call it a peep sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All Jokes asided good looking rifle!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is"

Good looking project ya got there Wambli Ska, And all you other guys have good looking Mossbergs too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Wambli,,, I just noticed a feature on your rifle, that my first shotgun a .410 bolt, Revelation, from the old Western Auto used to sale.I got my .410 for Christmas in 1968. The safety man the safety!!!!!!!!!!!! My .410 bolt had that very same style of safety on it!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am wondering if Mossberg made the .410 for the Western Auto chain?
    "It is what it is"

Lot's of classic Mossberg .22 owners here! I'm really looking forwrad to shooting this gun. Over 1/4 of a century without making noise is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by robert38-55 View Post
    Good looking project ya got there Wambli Ska, And all you other guys have good looking Mossbergs too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Wambli,,, I just noticed a feature on your rifle, that my first shotgun a .410 bolt, Revelation, from the old Western Auto used to sale.I got my .410 for Christmas in 1968. The safety man the safety!!!!!!!!!!!! My .410 bolt had that very same style of safety on it!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am wondering if Mossberg made the .410 for the Western Auto chain?
    Probably! IIRC Gunparts has a list that'll show you who the OM was.

That's a really neat rifle. Glad you got her back together!
    I'm gonna start gathering up old .22's for my nieces and nephews, I'll be on the lookout for old Mossbergs.
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by jbohio View Post
    That's a really neat rifle. Glad you got her back together!
    I'm gonna start gathering up old .22's for my nieces and nephews, I'll be on the lookout for old Mossbergs.
    It's really neat bringing an old .22s back to useful life. My son's first rifle was an old falling block Stevens that some lady traded into my buddy's gun shop. She told my friend that it was her husbands first gun when he was a kid and her kids didn't want it after he passed away so she wanted it to go to another boy that would enjoy it. My buddy called me right away to tell me about the gun which I picked up the same day (my son was 5 at the time and ready for a rifle). When I took it apart for cleaning I found out he had carved his name and the year he bought the gun (1925) on the wood under the barrel. Needless to say that made it extra special for my son.

Great story! I've been sorely tempted here lately by several old pump action 22's, they're super cool.
    I dabbled with old 22's several years ago, I painstakingly restored an old Mossberg 352 that was my grandpa's, and then my uncle's first rifle.
    Grandma gave me all of grandpa's guns, which kinda ticked off my 3 uncles, and 10 cousins.
    I ended up giving it to my brother, who made an offhand remark about rather having a 10/22......
    Quote Originally Posted by breamfisher View Post
    It might not be more accurate, but why introduce accuracy to a discussion about inaccuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    It's really neat bringing an old .22s back to useful life. My son's first rifle was an old falling block Stevens that some lady traded into my buddy's gun shop. She told my friend that it was her husbands first gun when he was a kid and her kids didn't want it after he passed away so she wanted it to go to another boy that would enjoy it. My buddy called me right away to tell me about the gun which I picked up the same day (my son was 5 at the time and ready for a rifle). When I took it apart for cleaning I found out he had carved his name and the year he bought the gun (1925) on the wood under the barrel. Needless to say that made it extra special for my son.
    You have a really cool project going. I love old .22's and even still have the one I learned to shoot with over 45 years ago which is an old Winchester mod 69. I have a collection of old .22's including one made by Daisy that was not produced for very long. They are not worth much but they are pretty cool none the less!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    You have a really cool project going. I love old .22's and even still have the one I learned to shoot with over 45 years ago which is an old Winchester mod 69. I have a collection of old .22's including one made by Daisy that was not produced for very long. They are not worth much but they are pretty cool none the less!
    You'd be surprised. You used to be able to get these old Mossbergs for a song a few years back. Now trying to find any of them for less than $200 is a challenge with some models bringing SUBSTANTIALLY more than that!!!

You'd be surprised. You used to be able to get these old Mossbergs for a song a few years back. Now trying to find any of them for less than $200 is a challenge with some models bringing SUBSTANTIALLY more than that!!!
    That's why I should have bought that 341 at Gander last year for $75......

Ya got that right Wambli Ska... heck if one can get some of these old classic for 200.00 or so I say buy it!!!!!!!!!!!! These old gun ain't going to be around long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is"

Quote Originally Posted by jbp-ohio View Post
    that's why i should have bought that 341 at gander last year for $75......

yes you should have!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robert38-55 View Post
    Ya got that right Wambli Ska... heck if one can get some of these old classic for 200.00 or so I say buy it!!!!!!!!!!!! These old gun ain't going to be around long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Absolutely! Funny I just "found" two more .22s in my gun room. It's taking a lot longer to sort out this mess than I expected...