Thread: need help identifying my 7mm mauser

need help identifying my 7mm mauser

i just purchased a 7x57 Spanish Mauser. Fabrica de armas oviedo is the maker and underneath the name is stamped 1931.there are no other real markings on the rifle aside from another stamp that says A 1963 and the serial number underneath,also the barrel is only 18-20inches long. i can find absolutely nothing online about this rifle. i really want this gun to be my hunting rifle because it is shorter than alot of rifles and packs a punch but it has no way to mount a scope and the iron sights are horrible.

does anyone kno if you can get these rifles drilled for a scope or anything? also does anyone kno the range and accuracy of this weapon with the shorter barrel?

if anyone can help with any info on this rifle thanks.367.jpg368.jpg371.jpg372.jpg

Re: need help identifying my 7mm mauser

Welcome aboard.
    This message has been deleted

Plenty of info if you Google 7 x 57 Spanish Mauser. Yours looks like a 98 style as opposed to the 95 small ring versions. If the rifle is in good shape, it should be good to go. Range is anything you would ordinarily encounter in a hunting situation. For the price of scoping it, you probably could go a way into buying a cheaper bolt gun, like the Marlin or cheaper Savage Axis.

Lots of the 7mm were converted to 7.62 x 51 back in the 1960s so make sure yours hasn't been converted. If it's original 7mm, it's probably worth a bit more. My favorite round, by the way.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

It look's like a '93 Mauser. If the front of the bolt is flat on the bottom, it's a '93.

Drill and tap, alter bolt handle and new safety would cost more than gun is worth.
    Last edited by Big Al1; 09-27-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Al, you may be right. If it cocks on closing, it is definitely a 95 Mauser.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
    Plenty of info if you Google 7 x 57 Spanish Mauser. Yours looks like a 98 style as opposed to the 95 small ring versions.

WHAT???

Either yer eyes or mind is going.

A '98 large ring has a noticeable step like my DWM/Brazillian (7x57).

and 1929 CZ/Persian (8x57).

Here's a good pic showing the difference between a large ring ('98) and small ring ('93-'95)

Wiki has a fairly good article on Mausers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser#Spanish_M93
    Last edited by mkk41; 09-27-2012 at 11:39 PM.

No step-down in the receiver ring- - -small gas shield at the back of the bolt, and I'm sure it will cock on closing- - - -yes, it's a small-ring. Check the bore size to see if it's a rebarreled 1916 Guardia Civil model with the 7.62 CETME chambering. If so, a .308 cartridge will fit and fire OK, but the pressure rating is too low to be safe with full-pressure .308 ammo. The 7X57 chambering is OK. If it's in relatively original condition, no scope mount holes or stock butchering done, leave it that way and buy an inexpensive modern rifle to use with a scope.

I've got several small-ring receivers that I use for low-pressure rounds like 7.62X39 youth rifles, and I might chop one up to build my next .257 Scooter project, but I'm not in favor of destroying an original-condition military Mauser rifle in fairly good condition to make a sporter. There are still plenty of junkers out there to modify without ruining another classic military surplus rifle.
    Jerry
    IF THE LOCAL 7-11 IS OWNED BY MOHAMED THE MUSLIM, WHY CAN I BUY PORK RINDS, SLIM JIMS AND BEER THERE?

Quote Originally Posted by chrislaurel View Post
    i just purchased a 7x57 Spanish Mauser. Fabrica de armas oviedo is the maker and underneath the name is stamped 1931.there are no other real markings on the rifle aside from another stamp that says A 1963 and the serial number underneath,also the barrel is only 18-20inches long. i can find absolutely nothing online about this rifle. i really want this gun to be my hunting rifle because it is shorter than alot of rifles and packs a punch but it has no way to mount a scope and the iron sights are horrible.

does anyone kno if you can get these rifles drilled for a scope or anything? also does anyone kno the range and accuracy of this weapon with the shorter barrel?

if anyone can help with any info on this rifle thanks.367.jpg368.jpg371.jpg372.jpg
    That's some nice wood for a mil surp. I would think any gun smith worth his salt could drill and tap that baby. The top of the receiver is the same as my Yugos and all 98s. The internals are different, but the top isn't.

Now the bolt is bent, but it will need to be rebent for a scope. It's not bent close enough to the bolt body to facilitate scope mounting. In other words the bolt handle is bent too far from the body and will hit the scope unless you mount the scope really high, which is not ideal and I don't know if you could get rings that high. A good smith can bend that bolt right next to the body and almost straight down. My three sporterized Mausers are all bent by the same smith, who does a very professional job of it.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

Here's a pic of one of my bolts. It's a little far away to see real clear but you can see that the bolt extends almost straight down and the stock has a cut out for the bolt handle so it will sit really close to the inside of the stock. This bend is right where it is welded to the bolt body. That's the classic method of bending.

Here's another one of my sporterized Mausers, a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Not its bolt also. It doesn't stick out to the side much at all. The same guy bent this one.

And here's another one of the .257 AI, from the top. See how the bolt is bent?

Last edited by snake284-1; 09-28-2012 at 12:39 PM.

So you can see that whether you have it bent or have a good smith cut the original bolt handle off and weld on an aftermarket bolt handle, you need a skilled smith to do it right.

To clarify, the bolt on Snake's Mauser isn't so much "bent" as it is "cut off and a new one of the right shape welded on." The modification was much more popular back when the market was glutted with mil-surp rifles shortly after WWII, and most working guys had their own - or access to - a basic machine shop. Lots of old warhorses were hacked up, with varying degrees of skill and results, to get more "sporty".

If it's original, do nothing that can't be easily reversed IMO. Some sight makers offer replacement rear sights, fitting in the original military rear sight mount, that give you more usable adjustment (especially windage) than the original battle sight. Others (B-Square, notably) have scope mounts that mount a pistol or extended-eye-relief ("Scout") scopes directly over where the rear sight sits; results on these may vary with the quality of the mount and the attention to detail while mounting.

I don't think his gun is all original.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Sorry, my computer crapped out before I read everything up the page. I must say that I agree with Teach and Al as I always do concerning Mausers. Leave it alone. I was thinking it was a junker from what you said. But it's evidently a nice collector. If you want one to butcher (Notice I said butcher and not BUBBA) get a Yugo. You can still get a Yugo Barreled action relatively cheap and it's a 98 large ring, only a smidgien shorter, but handles all the 308-7mm Mauser class cartridges fine. Plus being a 98 large ring design, it will handle higher pressure rounds fine. Of course, if you just want a good hunting rifle, you can buy a Savage off Gun Broker a lot cheaper than what it's going to cost to do all the mods to make that a good scoped rifle. Plus, you'll still have a low pressure action that can't reach its potential.

I bought a Savage 110 7 Mag off Gun Broker for $205 + $35 Shipping +20 to my FFL guy, then added a Rifle Basix trigger because it was a pre accutrigger Savage, for $90. So I"ve got $350 total in a good shooting scoped rifle. Of course you're gambling the barrel isn't shot out when you do this, especially with something like a 7 mag, but it wasn't, so I came out way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrunner428 View Post
    To clarify, the bolt on Snake's Mauser isn't so much "bent" as it is "cut off and a new one of the right shape welded on." The modification was much more popular back when the market was glutted with mil-surp rifles shortly after WWII, and most working guys had their own - or access to - a basic machine shop. Lots of old warhorses were hacked up, with varying degrees of skill and results, to get more "sporty".

If it's original, do nothing that can't be easily reversed IMO. Some sight makers offer replacement rear sights, fitting in the original military rear sight mount, that give you more usable adjustment (especially windage) than the original battle sight. Others (B-Square, notably) have scope mounts that mount a pistol or extended-eye-relief ("Scout") scopes directly over where the rear sight sits; results on these may vary with the quality of the mount and the attention to detail while mounting.
    Actually Gunrunner, that is the original bolt handle. However you may be right. Looking closer at my rifles, he may have cut them off at the bolt body and welded them closer. But I know that the way that one in his pic here is bent, it's going to hit the scope. That's what happened to my first project gun. The smith we used to do five Mausers (We bought 5 actions from Fed Ord back in the late 80s) wasn't yet experienced at bolt bending and bent them where they were about a quarter inch too far out at the bend.
    When I found Dwight(my gun smith I use exclusively now) he bent it right, however he does it and it functions flawlessly with a scope now. My old scope I had on that rifle, an old Redfield Widefield, almost had a hole worn in it from the bolt handle hitting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambli Ska View Post
    I don't think his gun is all original.
    Oops! Very Correcto here Bro Wambli! I didn't notice the sites. They are definitely NOT Al La Mauser. Look more like Ala Remington. Also, I thought that stock looked too nice to be original, of course it could be, since you never know what wood various countries had available for stocks. So it's already hacked, bubba'd whatever. OK back to plan A.....

If you do drill and tap it and use it to hunt, remember that it's an early design Mauser, not a 98, so don't use full house loads for whatever cartridge it is chambered in.
    Last edited by snake284-1; 09-28-2012 at 01:50 PM.

I jumped in with my "leave it original" without looking too close at the pics. The barrel is "original", as it has the stepped features common to a full-stock military rifle, but since it's already drilled and tapped for civilian sights, then all bets are off. The work could be done to get it scoped, but anything done will likely wind up costing more than a basic "bargain" rifle like a Remington 770, a Savage 200, or a Ruger American would out of the box.

I also missed seeing the stock and sight modifications in the first picture. It would be possible to restock it with an original piece of wood, but the sights would still be wrong. Go ahead and get the bolt re-bent and mount a scope if you choose, but the cost will probably exceed a bargain-rack new rifle unless you're able to do the work yourself.

I just bought a set of cast iron bolt-forging blocks on ebay from an 80-year-old gunsmith who is getting out of the business. The setup also includes a set of steel heat sinks for Mauser, Springfield, and 1917 Enfield bolts, and a bending handle to use to reshape the bolt contour while it's hot. All these parts are oldtime Brownell's stuff, made before the cheap imported parts flooded the market.
    Jerry
    IF THE LOCAL 7-11 IS OWNED BY MOHAMED THE MUSLIM, WHY CAN I BUY PORK RINDS, SLIM JIMS AND BEER THERE?

I jumped in with my "leave it original" without looking too close at the pics. The barrel is "original", as it has the stepped features common to a full-stock military rifle, but since it's already drilled and tapped for civilian sights, then all bets are off. The work could be done to get it scoped, but anything done will likely wind up costing more than a basic "bargain" rifle like a Remington 770, a Savage 200, or a Ruger American would out of the box.
    Yep I missed the stepped barrel too in the earlier pic.

One of my Yugos that is sportered still has the 8x57 original barrel on it. I'm loading it with BLC-2 and 250 grain Siera Match Kings right now. I have some Wolf Gold Ammo that's 196 grain bullets that shoot pretty fair in my Yugos though and as long as I have these, I can't drum up enough ambition to load anything heavier. Besides, it's definitely a hog killer with the 150s. It's the one in the dark laminate stock above. It shoots very well with those handloads with the original Mil Surp Barrel. I thought about having my smith turn the barrel to take out the steps but decided against it. The steps add character to it.

One thing I would mention as for being in favor of sporterizing it is a Mauser, about any Mauser just makes a sweet shooting rifle. I love the actions over any of the cheapies we've mentioned here. Being a 93, it's not up to 50,000-55,000 pounds pressure that a 98 would be, but it's a smooth shooter. Stay in the 45,000 PSI range and it will do about anything you need. They are just sexy.

Also, that's all you need to do to that rifle, bend the bolt and drill and tap. If you were from around here, you could get that done and put a Timney trigger and safety on it for under or right at $200. If you shot factory 7mm Mauser ammo and/or lower pressure hand loads (like the lowest listed load in about any loading book) you would be where you want to be.
    Last edited by snake284-1; 09-28-2012 at 09:29 PM.