Thread: M&P Series, Safety

M&P Series, Safety

New To Forum, Hello To All.

I've been looking at the M&P 40C for HD and Recreational Shooting. Nice firearm, and I realize there's built in trigger-group safety but I'm uncomfortable with a firearm without an "external safety". Just seems an additional risk in terms of carrying concealed, and otherwise.

Over Thinking It?
    Anyone else feel this way, or perhaps feel I should relax a bit?

Similar Firearm With External?
    Is there are similar firearm (C) "with external safety"?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Thanks- enjoying the forum.
    Last edited by qammo; 09-30-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Firearm Safety: Don't Wan't To Lose My Kids To Intruders That "Never" Come.

Re: M&P Series, Safety

Quote Originally Posted by qammo View Post
    ... but I'm uncomfortable with a firearm without an "external safety"...
    So you're uncomfortable with a revolver?

The modern striker fired semi-autos use the same principal as a double action revolver. I don't recall too many people saying revolvers need a safety
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Col. Jeff Cooper had a classic comment about trigger-mounted "safety" devices. He said it's like printing the combination to a safe of the front of the door. As long as the shooter can learn to keep his/her finger off the trigger when reholstering the gun, such appendages as kneecaps, toes, and other items of "personal equipment" will stay put. Lots of Glock users and others with similar guns walk with a limp. Yes, there are similar guns that also incorporate a more conventional safety system, but the most effective safety device is still carried between a shooter's ears.
    Jerry
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us!" Pogo

Interesting thoughts -;), and no I'm not a revolver fan.

Welcome to the Forum. I had similar reservations when the Glock first came out, but with the internal and trigger-lever safeties on both types of firearms, they're as safe as, if not safer than, a revolver.

The M&P can be had with a thumb safety like the 1911, if you so choose. The Wife and I have several pistols in the M&P family, both for carry and informal competition (pin shooting), and none have thumb safeties, which is weird since I learned to shoot on a 1911. Go figure. But we are perfectly comfortable with carrying them, and they have been just about the most accurate service-grade pistols I've ever shot.
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the welcome LMLarsen,

What M&P's have external? Is there a 40?

Looks like this is going to work for me. I'll have to check it out in the store- but with regards to safety, looks like the M&P 40C but with external safety, I imagine weight will be similar. Guess I'm a little old fashion -

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/p...shield-review/

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...eld/index.html
    Last edited by qammo; 09-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks for the welcome LMLarsen,

To the best of my knowledge, any M&P pistol can be had with a thumb safety, but I could be wrong. It's happened once or twice before.

Maybe call S&W customer service and ask?
    NRA Endowment Member

S&W M&P series pistols can be had with external safeties. Just ask your local gun store. They are a no-frills trigger blocking safety so they work well. Likewise, if you ever decide you don't want it in there, it can be removed with no fuss. It is not an integral part of the sear mechanism or anything, so its removal is cake.

-Jason
    "If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan on the economic philosophy of big government.

great- thanks.

I have 2 M&P40's both with external thumb safetys. You can buy the gun either way, with or without the thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemann View Post
    I have 2 M&P40's both with external thumb safetys. You can buy the gun either way, with or without the thumb safety.
    So I've learned. Do you know if the M&P40 C can be purchased with external safety? When I spoke with the salesman in the store he didn't mention that it could be, but instead emphasized the security of the built in safety. I have as an alternative taken a like to the MP40 Shield,http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...eld/index.html which in my opinion is the same gun but not compact, but is designed to be on the smaller size and it has the external safety. If I had my choice however, I'd like the 40C (Compact) "With" external safety if that's an option.

... if that's an option.
    "Optional Thumb Safety"
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...1_757781_image
    5th button down on the top right
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. It is only difficult for others.

It is the same when you are STUPID.

Anyone else feel this way, or perhaps feel I should relax a bit?
    I think you should relax a bit, but, that takes time.

Now that you confirmed the pistol you want exists, you should get it
    and in time you may find the need or desire for one without the external safety
    and by that time you will have relaxed or not and you won't get one without
    the external safety .

I went through the external safety issue with pistols, even to the point of not
    wanting it cocked and locked; particularly because my T/O weapon was a revolver
    and the USMC discouraged cocked and locked for those carrying a 1911 in garrison.

So, with CCW I started with a 1911 and the hammer down, then half cocked and
    now cocked and locked. But, also, I use another type with a 12 lb DA trigger pull
    with the external safety off and the hammer down requiring DA for the first rnd
    and do not worry about the safety being on.

Since then I have gone to internal safety only with other pistols.

My point is it is your decision and yours alone, which you properly made;
    good luck and good shooting with your choice and I hope you find the
    pistol soonest.
    Division one critter rescue team leader.

My 2 M&P40's are both 4.25" models. I have had 2 M&P40 sheilds on order for over 3 months now and they will both have the thumb safety. Man I hope the Sheilds come in soon, the wait is killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by NN View Post
    I think you should relax a bit, but, that takes time.

Now that you confirmed the pistol you want exists, you should get it
    and in time you may find the need or desire for one without the external safety
    and by that time you will have relaxed or not and you won't get one without
    the external safety .

I went through the external safety issue with pistols, even to the point of not
    wanting it cocked and locked; particularly because my T/O weapon was a revolver
    and the USMC discouraged cocked and locked for those carrying a 1911 in garrison.

So, with CCW I started with a 1911 and the hammer down, then half cocked and
    now cocked and locked. But, also, I use another type with a 12 lb DA trigger pull
    with the external safety off and the hammer down requiring DA for the first rnd
    and do not worry about the safety being on.

Since then I have gone to internal safety only with other pistols.

My point is it is your decision and yours alone, which you properly made;
    good luck and good shooting with your choice and I hope you find the
    pistol soonest.
    Thanks- appreciated your comments. Really did.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemann View Post
    My 2 M&P40's are both 4.25" models. I have had 2 M&P40 sheilds on order for over 3 months now and they will both have the thumb safety. Man I hope the Sheilds come in soon, the wait is killing me.
    I can only imagine! why so long? budsgunshop.com is great! and often times FREE SHIPPING!

In my humble opinion, you are indeed, over thinking this thing...HOWEVER,I've been carrying a long time and only you know what your particular comfort level is at this moment. As your proficiency builds, that comfort level will change. Most crucial thing to keep in mind....Keep yer finger off the danged trigger and all will be right with the world no matter what you carry....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

I agree with what has been said about the lever safety. Yes, you may be over thinking it, but that's not a bad thing when you first start out. If you practice properly and follow the cardinal rules of safety, you will soon come to understand that the external safety is unnecessary for striker fired pistols.

The only thing I would add is that, while the M&P is a fine pistol, and .40 S&W is a good self-defense round, it is not superior to 9mm or .45 ACP in most of the ways that matter, and there are many other quality compacts out there. In a compact pistol, I find the .45 ACP to be more pleasant to practice with, without giving up a thing in (terminal results) to a .40. The 9mm, with practice ammo, is very pleasant to shoot, and with 147 grain premium SD ammo, is the equal of a similarly loaded .40 S&W, or so close that it doesn't matter.

Welcome aboard! Happy to have you.

My first HG w/o a mechanical safety was the Ruger P-97 DC (still consider it one of the best firearms I have ever owned). Once I gave it some thought, considered the safety considerations of the double action revolver, in comparison, I never looked back.

My current favorite HG is an H&K USP-c. It has the H&K LEM trigger (DAO) and no mechanical safety. I have never have missed a safety

Trigger finger discipline is the paramount to using any HG. Be it a revolver, self loader, Double Action Only, with or w/o mechanical safety.

Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until on target and ready to fire. Especially when going back to the holster!
    Last edited by 41magnut; 10-06-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen