Thread: OK, how about a Savage .308 model 10..twist rate?

OK, how about a Savage .308 model 10..twist rate?

From what I can ascertain, most all Savage model 10s in .308 have a 1 in 10 twist rate? Correct or most likely?

So it should be good for most available common weight bullets? I have some 165 grain PSP-BT O/H privi partizan O/H. I think I'll use these for the Finnish MN since it is closer to .308 diameter than the Russian made MNs in 7.62X54r which I reload .3105/.310/.311 bullets for.

So for target shooting/paper targets what .308 bullet weight/style do y'all recommend to reload and shoot from a model 10 Savage? I'm limited to a 100 yard range.

Favorite .308 powder?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Re: OK, how about a Savage .308 model 10..twist rate?

Unless you have some weird after market barrel - it's a 1 in 10...it loves 165/168 class bullets

Standard for me are 165 Grain Hornady SSTs over 44 grains of Varget - Sub-MOA performance...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
    From what I can ascertain, most all Savage model 10s in .308 have a 1 in 10 twist rate? Correct or most likely?

So it should be good for most available common weight bullets? I have some 165 grain PSP-BT O/H privi partizan O/H. I think I'll use these for the Finnish MN since it is closer to .308 diameter than the Russian made MNs in 7.62X54r which I reload .3105/.310/.311 bullets for.

So for target shooting/paper targets what .308 bullet weight/style do y'all recommend to reload and shoot from a model 10 Savage? I'm limited to a 100 yard range.

Favorite .308 powder?
    I don't pretend to be a .308 expert. I had one for about 18 years before she got it in the divorce. Well all's well that ends well. Now one of my sons has bought it from my ex and he would have gotten it anyway. But back to the subject at hand, for target shooting, which for me was informal bench rest competition around here, I had the best luck with Sierra Match King 168 HPBT. At about 2700 FPS that Ruger Varminter would give me < .5 MOA. That won me more than a few bench rest meets and trophies here at my local gun club meets. For hunting I always used 150 grain flat base bullets. I think they were Sierra and some Remington, I only bought a coupel boxes of a hundred the whole time I had it. I did most of my shooting with it with the match bullets I mentioned.

That rifle was very accurate for that period Ruger. It bagged its share of deer and hogs. Wish i had another one like it. Oh wait, i do have one like it. It's called a Yugo Mauser in its original 8x57 chambering with 150 grain Hornady Interlock bullets with 55 grains of BLC-2 at about 2960 FPS. It kills about as good as the .308 did, but it's not quite as accurate with its approx. 65 year old Mil Surp Barrel. But it does ok for a pure hunting rifle.
    Last edited by snake284-1; 10-14-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

Banned

I'm pretty sure that 9 out of 10 serious .308 target shooters still use the 168gr Sierra HPBT Match King , but any quality 150-180gr bullet should do well. The 165gr Sierra SPBT Game King is pretty much the same , but a few bucks a box cheaper. I've been told that the boat-tail only comes into effect at longer ranges. I do know that plain flat base bulk-pack Remington PSP Core-Lokts still do very well at 100yds at half the price of Sierras.

I've had just as good results with Prvi Partizan and Sellier & Bellot as with Federal Gold Medal.

As for powder? Take yer pick , Varget , 4895 , W-748 , BL-C2 , Reloader 12 & 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
    Unless you have some weird after market barrel - it's a 1 in 10...it loves 165/168 class bullets

Standard for me are 165 Grain Hornady SSTs over 44 grains of Varget - Sub-MOA performance...
    Sounds good and I have plenty of Varget.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions

Thanks for all the good advice/suggestions.

I have .308 dies, will get some brass/bullets. Will US military brass work as well as commercial to use for reloads?

I don't think I've ever reloaded for .308, but bought dies years ago to reload for my Enfield Ishaphore, but never got around to it. I have a couple ammo cans full of 7.62 Surplus CAVIUM (?) for it. I knew sooner or later I would, I've sure reloaded cartridges which dance around .308 diameter both smaller and larger.

Well, maybe the .30 carbine using 110 grain .308 dia bullets, but not the same.

So I'm looking forward to being a .308 late bloomer...

Banned

USGI brass is excellent , but remember it's somewhat thicker so back off max loads at least 10% to start. And primers are crimped in , but not in M-852 match cases.

You'll also find two sets of data in some manuals. SAAMI-spec .308 Winchester loads (55,000cup/psi STD) , and 7.62 NATO service loads (50,000cup/psi MAX), mainly meant for the M-14.

Your 1:10 twist should stabilize bullets up and including 210 gr Berger Hybrids. It might even handle the 230 gr bullets. So, anything you can find will shoot, but for 100 yards, I would look to a flat base bullet if accuracy is what you are looking for. You do not need boat tail bullets for 100 or even up to 300 yards. Berger makes a great 150 FB bullet and it would be a pure joy to shoot. Sierra has a 125 SMK in flat base and that would be fun also.

Peg, I've known a couple of guys that were using 208 grain A-Maxs in their .308s....I ran some numbers and the pressures those loads were generating were kinda scary....do you know anything different?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

The 208gr a-max is a great bullet with a high BC value. It is really designed for the very long distance. Of course, people are going to try to push it as fast as possible thinking their rifles are immune to the effects of overpressure. That bullet should come out of the muzzle of a 24 inch barrel around 2450-2500, max. You want faster, get a longer barrel or a lighter bullet.