Home Main Category Hunting

I Let Him Go

beartrackerbeartracker Senior MemberPosts: 3,116 Senior Member
Well, I let this one go and two other bucks, because I have already taken a buck the size of the one in the picture. I saw 7 does, three bucks. The three bucks were a five point, 6 point and what would have been an 8 point, but one side was gone and must have been broken off in a fight. You can take three bucks a year and three does a day in TN but I already had some meat in the freezer from the first day hunt in Mississippi and I want a big one. So outside of having fun and taking some cool pictures below, I came up empty of horns but was not empty of a good time.

file-105.jpg

file-106.jpg

file-104.jpg

file-103.jpg

file-120.jpg

file-107.jpg

file-116.jpg

file-113.jpg

file-111.jpg

file-123.jpg

file-122.jpg

file-119.jpg

Replies

• shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Great pix.... thanks for sharing. I sometimes enjoy photographing deer as well.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    What part of Tennessee are you hunting? In my area, it's 3 does a day, and 3 bucks all year. They're trying to cut down on a huge overpopulation in middle Tennessee by culling does in a big way.
    Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,058 Senior Member
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    What part of Tennessee are you hunting? In my area, it's 3 does a day, and 3 bucks all year. They're trying to cut down on a huge overpopulation in middle Tennessee by culling does in a big way.
    Jerry

Teach, I corrected it, and yes it is 3 bucks a year and 3 does a day. I was just south of Centerville, TN on a business trip and got to hunt two days in between meetings.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,896 Senior Member
    Nice pics.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Thanks, I had a good time.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Good news, you don't have to field dress a picture. Digital camera? Wait a minute, What if bullets could be digital How many shots in a 5g card? Bad shot? CTRL-ALT-DEL and shoot again. What a concept. :bang: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Good news, you don't have to field dress a picture. Digital camera? Wait a minute, What if bullets could be digital How many shots in a 5g card? Bad shot? CTRL-ALT-DEL and shoot again. What a concept. :bang: Later,

I wouldn't hit my head against that wall to many more times :buff2::tooth::jester:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,857 Senior Member
    Did you mess with them with some calling and rattling as long as you were not shooting? I never get to watch a buck, I have to shoot where I hunt.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Did you mess with them with some calling and rattling as long as you were not shooting? I never get to watch a buck, I have to shoot where I hunt.

When the doe took off I did a grunt call and held the buck for a moment just to see if he would pause. Was a lot of fun knowing I could get him to pause.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,218 Senior Member
    Cool pics! I love to mess with critters I'm not going to shoot. teasing squirrels with a cann, a grunt for deer. It's a lot of fun to observe their reactions.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,189 Senior Member
    Nice Pics!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    These photos give me an opportunity to point out a Whitetail Deer management trick that I've mentioned several times in the past. Easy and cheap to do, too!

See the small hardwood scrub areas? The next to the last photo is a good example. You can either bush hog or use a chainsaw and cut these small 1 to 3 inch scrub hardwoods down then fertilize with a high blend of commercial fertilizer, 13-13-13 or a custom blend of 17-17-17 is even better, in the very early spring through mid-summer. a rate of about 3-4 hundred pounds per acre will work fine. Also, any mature mast producing Oak Trees, especially those in the White Oak group that are in the area, fertilize these too at a rate of about one 8 ounce cup for every inch of diameter of the tree about 4-5 feet from the ground. Broadcast the fertilizer from the trunk out to as far as the limbs grow all around the tree. I promise you on a stack of bibles (:tooth:) the deer will come straight to these areas and browse the tender young fertilized scrub oak down to virtually nothing! And when the acorns start to drop they will pass up unfertilized oak mast and go straight to those that were fertilized. This is also an excellent way to get as much potassium as possible into the buck's systems for increased mass in the antlers. Not more points, now, but heavier mass and size and spread! Don't expect miracles in antler size increases in one year, but you'll notice it definately by the 2nd and 3rd year if you'll do this every year. (Normally I charge a pretty good fee for wildlife management advice like this, but since we're all "Buddies", don't worry about sending me big bucks....just send me a box of ammo for my '03 or my 98k's :rotflmao:)
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,387 Senior Member
    It's called "selective dragging", which is a lot easier with snow on the ground!!:jester:
    As usual, awesome photos!! You have a talent, sir!! Sometimes that's the best part of the hunt!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    It's called "selective dragging", which is a lot easier with snow on the ground!!:jester:
    As usual, awesome photos!! You have a talent, sir!! Sometimes that's the best part of the hunt!!

That's it no snow on the ground so I passed, to hard to drag :jester:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Great pics Mike. That's how we know we're getting older. It gets easier to let 'em walk.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Great pics Mike. That's how we know we're getting older. It gets easier to let 'em walk.

I hear ya
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I hear ya

Or as I like to say, I still like to hunt, I'm just not as mad at them as I used to be.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Note: Dragging deer by the antlers is easier than by the rear hooves. Just turn it around so you're not getting further from the truck. Old joke but still funny. :roll: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Great pics! Some times it's just as much fun just to look at them.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wonderful pics, beartracker. I never tire of seeing deer in the field, especially up close. Makes for a perfect success in my book, even if you didn't pull the trigger on him.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    I agree with you guys....
    elk14.jpg
    101_0645.jpg
    Thanks Six-Gun and love that herd of elk and that bull sarg1c
    Thanks Six-Gun and love that herd of elk and that bull sarg1c
    We have a nice herd started here in E. Kentucky. They really took off .. One day while riding and looking for them, we saw about 200 head.
    scan0028.jpg
    elk5-1.jpg
    This year they let out 800 various tags. and some nice elk taken by gun and bow...
    Here's a nice one taken by a guy I know in Greenup co. Nice elk ...

05.jpg
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Great pics!!!!!!