Home Main Category Hunting

Ok pressure is off, got my meat deer!

timctimc Senior MemberTexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
Well it wasn't the biggest deer I have seen out here this year but it is the best legal to shoot deer I have seen so far and with almost half the season over I wasn't taking any chances of my sausage supply drying up. I had this little spike walk out this morning right at 09:00 down the hill from me at about 175-180 yards. I dropped home with my model 700 .308 with a heart shot. Those 165 grain Sierra BTHP bullets leave nasty exit wounds. He is at the processor now becoming really good things to eat.

Now I won't mind seeing all these other deer that I can't shoot!
6D501049-CFE7-43FA-BAAF-8326C2BFA77D-3823-000008AFC969A952.jpg
timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
AKA: Former Founding Member

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,313 Senior Member
    Nice one, Tim! I'm in the blind right now trying to break my own dry spell.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,076 Senior Member
    Yummy!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Nice one, Tim! I'm in the blind right now trying to break my own dry spell.

Good luck brother!

I'm back at the ranch myself but not really hunting. Looking forward to the front tomorrow night; then I'll see if I can't find his grand daddy! Going to stay out a few more days. I don't have to be back home until Thursday.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    Excellent.

Now you can relax so that when his grandpappy shows up you dont have a :bang: moment. :wink:
    Looks yummy, bet he is tender.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Nice
    I like a couple of those.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    It's a good feeling to get the meat haul out of the way. Seems that 9 out of 10 times, that's my #1 concern going into the field, especially now that I don't live near the whitetail woods anymore. Congrats on getting this tasty spike to the processor to replenish your sausage stock.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member WC MinnesotaPosts: 269 Member
    Yes we filled our tags in Minnesota, and North Dakota for another year. I just got the first batch of pepper sticks back from the processer yesterday, and life is good. We shot 3 does and 3 bucks, with one buck sent off to the taxidermist.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It's a good feeling to get the meat haul out of the way. Seems that 9 out of 10 times, that's my #1 concern going into the field, especially now that I don't live near the whitetail woods anymore. Congrats on getting this tasty spike to the processor to replenish your sausage stock.[/QUOTE

This, We haven't spent a dime on store bought meat in weeks now. And the hunting has been much more relaxing. God bless us every one.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    timc wrote: »
    Good luck brother!

Well, I got a midsize buck this morning. I'll get pics and story up when I can
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Well, I got a midsize buck this morning. I'll get pics and story up when I can

Alright! Glade you scored one, I'll be looking for the thread.
    I'm still going to hang around out here for a few days and see what I can find.
    Looking forward to the cold front tonight, crazy Texas weather, 80 degrees right now and freezing by Tuesday morning. If his weather spell coming doesn't stir up the critters nothing will. I'm looking forward to shivering in the blind, sure beats wiping sweat out of your eyes!
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    It's a good feeling to get the meat haul out of the way. Seems that 9 out of 10 times, that's my #1 concern going into the field, especially now that I don't live near the whitetail woods anymore. Congrats on getting this tasty spike to the processor to replenish your sausage stock.

Thanks, I should get about 50 pounds of sausage out of it so not too bad.
    timc wrote: »
    Alright! Glade you scored one, I'll be looking for the thread.
    I'm still going to hang around out here for a few days and see what I can find.
    Looking forward to the cold front tonight, crazy Texas weather, 80 degrees right now and freezing by Tuesday morning. If his weather spell coming doesn't stir up the critters nothing will. I'm looking forward to shivering in the blind, sure beats wiping sweat out of your eyes!

Tell me about it! Hard to control your scent when just walking into the blind makes you sweat through your camo!
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,671 Senior Member
    Riflemann wrote: »
    Yes we filled our tags in Minnesota, and North Dakota for another year. I just got the first batch of pepper sticks back from the processer yesterday, and life is good. We shot 3 does and 3 bucks, with one buck sent off to the taxidermist.

Pictures of the buck going to the taxedermist please, or it did not happen.

Glad Bullsi and TimC are getting on some deer. Do you guys think your rut is on now? I really don't think the rut got going in MN until late November, it is supposed to be early Nov.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11