Home Main Category Hunting

Who does an After Action Review for hunting?

5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior MemberPosts: 3,923 Senior Member
Like with any field exercise I've been on.....there's a time to take stock on lessons learned.....re-equip with better kit, and apply all that for the next time 'round.
God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    Like with any field exercise I've been on.....there's a time to take stock on lessons learned.....re-equip with better kit, and apply all that for the next time 'round.

Always. I never think I am too old to learn. The old saying about hunting smarter applies when your body gets older.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Always. I never think I am too old to learn. The old saying about hunting smarter applies when your body gets older.

Ditto
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Absolutely, but I seldom do so conciously. I think it's an inherent process if there's a lick of care in your spirit. I never want to take the field again with a piece of equipment, strategy or technique that didn't make the cut the first time around. I will adjust as is necessary to take the lessons learned from a previous hunt to make future hunt better.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    Me.
    Do it after I shoot/practice/compete too
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Not to wax on it so much.....but I should learn to stay in top physical form for the type of hunting I do.....strenous at high altitude....I didn't have a problem this year......but I'm getting up there, and it's gonna bite me sometime. Equipment: need to replace things, even the basic stuff like a compass and maps.......rifle/scope/binos/rangefinder good.....little things like pack, knives, gloves, boots.....heck, the only thing constant is the darn elk!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,929 Senior Member
    Well, I don't do a 5 page report and PowerPoint with 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each of them was.

But yeah, I hash it out in my head.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Always, that's why my AR-10 has a new scope on it this week. I decided to dump the Burris eliminator. I have the leupold mark IV on it I was saving for my FD308 but since I don't have it yet...

I'll probably get a Leupold VX3 LR in 6.5-20x40mm for it since we have to measure horns before we shoot.
    AF9DA5E3-01CB-475C-AE94-D07A6834E089-4298-00000A384E025C67.jpg
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,855 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Well, I don't do a 5 page report and PowerPoint with 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back explaining what each of them was.

But yeah, I hash it out in my head.

Yep. Always trying to improve what I'm doing
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    timc, what was wrong with the Burris?
    If Tim wants to shoot beyond 600-650 yards the Gen 2 Eliminator can't do that.
    Plus, it doesn't have wind technology and he has to have his on 12x for it to work correctly.
    The E-3 is very capable and has so much capability than the E-2 does. 4-16X, use at any magnification, wind correction, AO, better glass, etc.....
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    If Tim wants to shoot beyond 600-650 yards the Gen 2 Eliminator can't do that.
    Plus, it doesn't have wind technology and he has to have his on 12x for it to work correctly.
    The E-3 is very capable and has so much capability than the E-2 does. 4-16X, use at any magnification, wind correction, AO, better glass, etc.....

So it was a simple matter of his needs exceeding the design parameters of the equipment. Not a technical problem or failure of the scope per se?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,060 Senior Member
    I suppose in my head.
    I don't know!
    I was just explaining the limits of the E-2.
    I want more than what the E-2 can deliver myself on most of my guns and I think Tim like stretching things from time to time:up:
    So it was a simple matter of his needs exceeding the design parameters of the equipment. Not a technical problem or failure of the scope per se?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I don't know!
    I was just explaining the limits of the E-2.
    I want more than what the E-2 can deliver myself on most of my guns and I think Tim like stretching things from time to time:up:

Sorry Dude, I got the impression you guys had discussed it or something. I only asked because I purchased a Burris, my first, earlier this year. I had technical difficulties which they were quick to address to my satisfaction. Just wondered if I should be concerned.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I've never really thought of it that way, but it's really hard not to learn something after a hunt, successful or not. I end up going over some of the things I did that I wish I had not done, and some that I didn't do that I wish I had, as well as think about new equipment it would be good to have as well as equipment I carried that did nothing but add weight. I think it's pretty much human nature.

I also sometimes discover new places to hunt. The elk I shot last year was the result of seeing a similar bull two years earlier while hunting deer. I simply drew a tag, and went back to the exact same spot two years later and there he was. Funny how things like that can work out some time.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I don't consciously do that, but I usually remember what worked and what didn't and try to have a better plan next time. It didn't work out this year...or maybe it did, since I have not shot a deer, yet. I intended to rig up a lifting device so I don't bust a gut loading a big deer, which I have done the previous two years. I didn't get it done, but that's working out so far, too, since I haven't shot anything.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Absolutely, but I seldom do so conciously. I think it:that:'s an inherent process if there's a lick of care in your spirit. I never want to take the field again with a piece of equipment, strategy or technique that didn't make the cut the first time around. I will adjust as is necessary to take the lessons learned from a previous hunt to make future hunt better.

:that:

I agree with everything said in all the posts above, but this post by Six Gun is more the way I do it or rather the way it happens with me. I don't sit down and think about all that happened and all the tactics I used and do a conscious critique, but it just happens in my mind as I review the days hunt. And you'd be surprised at the ideas I come up with, all of which aren't really good, but upon further reflection I usually can make improvements on the experience.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Which scope?
    Sorry Dude, I got the impression you guys had discussed it or something. I only asked because I purchased a Burris, my first, earlier this year. I had technical difficulties which they were quick to address to my satisfaction. Just wondered if I should be concerned.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    timc, what was wrong with the Burris?

Well it just wasn't as clear as I like a scope to be and at long range it just did not have the power to do what I needed. Other than that it does work like it is supposed to. i guess im just spoiled on Leupold. I'm going to sell it fairly cheap and just stick with what I like best.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    True, the E-2 did not have great glass, just adequate.
    If you ever have an opportunity check out the E-3 if the concept is still intriguing to you.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Which scope?

Fullfield Ballistic plex E1 Parralax adjustable 4.5X14 I haven't shot with it beyond 100 yards or so. But I've been reading all you guys talking about longer range shooting. So after the woods empty out I'm gonna try punching some paper out to 300 or so. Maybe a bit more.
    When you start stretching things out let us know-It is a lot of fun.
    Fullfield Ballistic plex E1 Parralax adjustable 4.5X14 I haven't shot with it beyond 100 yards or so. But I've been reading all you guys talking about longer range shooting. So after the woods empty out I'm gonna try punching some paper out to 300 or so. Maybe a bit more.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"