Home Main Category Hunting

Finally got one on the ground-

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,309 Senior Member
So, this was the last weekend I was going to be able to do a full hunt before buck season ended, and then we would be in the late 'spike/doe' season. So I was determined not to go home this week empty handed.

Every time I went this season, I was playing benevolent dictator and letting a lot of stuff live. Mostly because they were small, or that they were ones that we wanted to go ahead and breed this year. So, this time I made up my mind- if it was not one of the named bucks that we had 'pardons' on- it was going home in a cooler.

Yesterday, it was foggy- could not see 50 yards until late. A few does came into the shooting lanes, but they were tiny. Last night, I switched blinds, and NOTHING came in. So I checked the camera at my regular blind, and saw that there were a whole poo load of deer that came in. One was a shooter.

So this morning, I went back to MY blind. I got everything set up, and waited. It was really overcast and hazy, and even past sunrise it was hard to see with such little light. Suddenly, deer came out of everywhere. I had clean shots at up to 7 deer at a time. But with the dim light and patchy fog, I could not tell if there were any bucks in the groups. Finally, the light came up enough to ID a buck that we had labeled a shooter. He was a smallish 8 point, and was at a laser confirmed 130 yards. I had to wait for the does to clear a shot to him, and...

130 yards, uphill, slightly quartering away. The 155gr Hornady A-Max Match entered just ahead of the diaphragm, shredded the heard and lungs and blew out through the off side shoulder. The deer took 3 steps and went down in a cloud of dust (seriously- even though it is foggy, it is so dry that dust comes up from every step). Post mortem showed the bullet did an amazing amount of damage. Parts of either the bullet or bone blew throughout the body cavity and cut parts of the tenderloins and backstrap. The offside shoulder was destroyed- very little meat could be salvaged. I am reconsidering using this load again. Might go with something simpler.

But, I bloodied the AR-10 finally!

Oddly enough, within moments of my shot, my brother took a 7 point with HIS new AR-10.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    I love the A-Max.

Good job!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Good job man!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Nice hunt and story.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Nice. Good story too.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    Congratulations. Good to see the AR 10 finally get blooded.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Kaniksu Nat'l Forest, IDPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Nice one!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Eastern NebraskaPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Gotta be a good feeling to button up the eason with success! Great work!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Mine was smaller.

hitches up pants, adjusts package
  • bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    I'm glad you connected. That is a decent deer for late in the season.

I'm going back out this next weekend and try again, and I'll gladly shoot anything that I can convince myself of being 13" between the beams, or a cull buck - doesn't matter much to me at this point. I'll also be using my new AR-10, too - except mine is a 7mm-08.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Good for you.
    Always good to blood a new rig.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Really? I never would have guessed:jester:
    Zee wrote: »
    I love the A-Max.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • timctimc Senior Member TexasPosts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Lots of successful hunting stories this year, congrats on getting one on the ground.

I'm loving this cold front! Watched a couple of does eat corn this morning for about 30 minutes before they moved off. If I hadn't taken that spike Saturday one of those does would have hit the ground!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,309 Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! Usually by this pint in the season we have 3 deer or so in the freezer, and are just going out to read a book in the woods. It was starting to be a panic that I would not have jerky or dry sausage this year.

Tim- I walked the dog this morning and was thinking "THIS is what hunting season is supposed to feel like!"
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov