Home Main Category Hunting

For a moose....

Grizz1219Grizz1219 MemberSadly in MaPosts: 424 Member
Do you think a 250 grain bonded Shock wave out of my 50 cal. muzzle loader will do the trick for a Moose in Newfie??? The charge is equal to 3 50 grain pellets... Or do I need to go up to the 300 grain slug??

Replies

• wildgenewildgene Senior Member Cody, WYPosts: 1,036 Senior Member
    ...yup, if you shoot him down in the heart/ lungs, or shoulder/ neck. If you center punch him thru the ribs it's like shooting a 55gal. drum & will take a long time for him to bleed out. The heart/ lungs are down in the bottom 1/3 of the chest, just behind the "elbow", the spinal column is down in the bottom 1/3 of the neck...
  • Ranch13Ranch13 Senior Member Ft. Laramie WyPosts: 820 Senior Member
    Patched round ball and 100 grs of 2f black probably shoot thru him broadside at 100 yds or less, bleed him out and let alot of air into places that aren't supposed to have fresh air in them. 50's leave a big hole and work quite well.
  • Grizz1219Grizz1219 Member Sadly in MaPosts: 424 Member
    I really didn't want to change my set up I use on deer for the hunt... I figured the 250 grain bonded shock wave would do the trick nicely without having to go to the 300 grainers... Should do a nice job on a bull I'm thinking.. they aren't the Yukon sized, so it should work nicely.. Thanks!