Home Main Category Hunting

Rocket Deer!

snake284-1snake284-1 Senior MemberPosts: 2,500 Senior Member
Well, a cool front came in late yesterday afternoon when I went hunting and I didn't see anything. So I figured it might be good this morning so I got up early and went. I took my folding chair and a camo net to put over me and sat out in the sticks by a trail leading into an oak mott. I got there before day light and sat down. I didn't see anything til about 11 AM. And I'm looking to my left out in the open where I see deer moving toward my feeder when I saw movement to my far right at the opening to the trail. There he was going 90 to nothing flying by about 30 feet in front of me. I could have shot him even though he was in afterburner because when he got out in the open he was going straight away from me. But he wasn't a legal shooter. He wasn't wide enough. They have to be 13 inches between the main beams and this one was about 10. But he could flat out fly!!! As I said, when he cleared the brush line he had er in afterburner. That woke me up for sure, but after another 30 minutes I gave up and went home.

This was a little 8 pointer that will be a fine deer next year. He's probably a one year buck and will be much bigger in time. When I see deer like this, I'm almost happy we have this 13 inch law. The only thing frustrating is that there are some deer that don't grow their rack wide, but instead they grow them tall. There's another one I've seen around that is probably old enough but everything went up not out. That deer may never be legal.

There's another deer out there that has one big rack on the left side and if it matched on the right would be a real trophy, but he has one long unforked antler on the right side. He's legal but nobody wants to shoot him. I will though if I get another chance. He is legally a spike even though on the on side he's huge. I personally don't think he's genetically inferior, I think he must have damaged the right side when it formed. That or maybe he got some kind of bacterial infection on it.

On second thought, Maybe I won't shoot him. He may be the biggest deer out there next year.
I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

Replies

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Mike, I was reading your post and had a picture in my mind of you running frantically beside that buck trying to measure his spread with a ruler.:rotflmao: Hope you get him next year.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • Jim TomJim Tom Member South-East KentuckyPosts: 338 Member
    We don't have such restrictions on antler size most places in KY (where I hunt), but I'm starting to wish we did. WAY too many 1 year old bucks shot.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Mike, I was reading your post and had a picture in my mind of you running frantically beside that buck trying to measure his spread with a ruler..
    How else do you tell a 12.5 from a 13?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

If you turn the lights out it doesnt matter..............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Mike, I was reading your post and had a picture in my mind of you running frantically beside that buck trying to measure his spread with a ruler.:rotflmao: Hope you get him next year.[/QUOTE Craig you crack me up!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    NN wrote: »
    I'm no mathematician by a long stretch, but there's bound to be a scope made with a ruler and a computer with a program to convert it to actual inches. But the way I was told by a game warden is much more simple. You look at the ears in the alert position and if you can see daylight between the ears and the antlers he's supposedly legal. But this same game warden at Brazos Bend WMA was measuring a deer killed and it only made the minimum by about a quarter of an inch, said " Oh, I forgot to mention there's some deer here with shorter ears. A Duhh! But I bet he would have fined the guy if it would have been short.
    orchidman wrote: »
    If you turn the lights out it doesnt matter..............

In Texas the game wardens are known for their good flashlights and their micrometer eyes, :nono::punch::jester:
    But Craig, there's no way I was keepin up with THAT deer. He had it in afterburner, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    snake284-1 wrote: »
    In Texas the game wardens are known for their good flashlights and their micrometer eyes, :nono::punch::jester:

I'm certain he wasn't talking about deer, or hunting, or antlers.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    Rocket Deer, as sung as I would imagine the great Elton John could do it Justice...

Rocket Deer
    A take off of Elton Johns Rocket Man
    To the tune of Rocket Man
    I wonder if I sent Elton a copy if he'd sing it for me...

He ate the corn out from my deer feeder,
    Then he made a scrape and made a Rub,
    Peed on his rub and stump,
    Oooaooh Rocket Deer,

Don't think it's gonna be a very long time,
    till he finds a doe or two he likes,
    and has his way with three or four,
    Rocket Deer,

Well it might gonna be alright tonight,
    if he gets past my Game Kings Flight,
    Cause if he don't his days are up,
    Rocket Deer,

So you Gonna out run the ol' -06,
    But if my aim and scope is true,
    he won't make do,
    Rocket Deer!

You're fast but you won't last,
    Ol' 30-06 will do you in,
    And it won't be a very long time,
    til your in the chili, or the stew,
    Oh Rocket Deer,

When ya gonna stop a kiddin yoself,
    You know that sierra's comin your way fast,
    I'm a feared you done breathed your last,
    And it won't be a very very long long time,
    Til you're in the chili or stew,
    and it won't be a very long time,
    Rocket deer,
    I wanna hang your head on my wall.
    Oh, Rocket deer! It ain't a gonna be a long long time...
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    But Craig, there's no way I was keepin up with THAT deer. He had it in afterburner, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

JATO equipped skateboard. Bet cpj could cobble one up for ya.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    Judging by the speed he ran past you he must have known you didnt have the 270 with you...................otherwise he would probably have walked.......and stopped....grazed a bit, rolled around on the ground, sunbathed then walked a bit more..................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    And been in the stew by supper time.... :roll2::roll2::roll2:
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Rocket Deer, as sung as I would imagine the great Elton John could do it Justice...

Rocket Deer
    A take off of Elton Johns Rocket Man
    To the tune of Rocket Man
    I wonder if I sent Elton a copy if he'd sing it for me...

He ate the corn out from my deer feeder,
    Then he made a scrape and made a Rub,
    Peed on his rub and stump,
    Oooaooh Rocket Deer,

Don't think it's gonna be a very long time,
    till he finds a doe or two he likes,
    and has his way with three or four,
    Rocket Deer,

Well it might gonna be alright tonight,
    if he gets past my Game Kings Flight,
    Cause if he don't his days are up,
    Rocket Deer,

So you Gonna out run the ol' -06,
    But if my aim and scope is true,
    he won't make do,
    Rocket Deer!

You're fast but you won't last,
    Ol' 30-06 will do you in,
    And it won't be a very long time,
    til your in the chili, or the stew,
    Oh Rocket Deer,

When ya gonna stop a kiddin yoself,
    You know that sierra's comin your way fast,
    I'm a feared you done breathed your last,
    And it won't be a very very long long time,
    Til you're in the chili or stew,
    and it won't be a very long time,
    Rocket deer,
    I wanna hang your head on my wall.
    Oh, Rocket deer! It ain't a gonna be a long long time...

Uh, Snake? Do we have to take you to that calm place with the nice men in white coats again?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Uh, Snake? Do we have to take you to that calm place with the nice men in white coats again?

Oh NO!!! Not there AGAIN!!! Please, I'll be good, I promise. I don't like that man with that big needle!!!
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    Im glad we don't have that law here. Not being able to shoot lil poor bucks forces them into the gene pool and allows lil poor bucks to be born year after year.

As an aside, Ive only taken one shot on a deer that was moving away from me. I felt horrible. It took a long time for him to die. Anymore I won't do it less he is quartering away.

And one thing Ive never really understood is why some states will have size limitations but no regulations against hunting over feeders. Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with feeders. I just find it counter intuitive with the other laws they have about sporting.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
    Eturn wrote: »
    Im glad we don't have that law here. Not being able to shoot lil poor bucks forces them into the gene pool and allows lil poor bucks to be born year after year.

As an aside, Ive only taken one shot on a deer that was moving away from me. I felt horrible. It took a long time for him to die. Anymore I won't do it less he is quartering away.

And one thing Ive never really understood is why some states will have size limitations but no regulations against hunting over feeders. Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with feeders. I just find it counter intuitive with the other laws they have about sporting.

On the one going away you shot. Where did you aim/hit him at? I think you said you used a slug gun. We can use rifles here in most areas. If they're facing away from me I always aim for the neck. Which is easier to do with the increased precision of a rifle over a slug, in most cases.
    I don't know if you've ever taken one with a bow but barring the luxury of a heart shot, they will struggle a bit. Which is sad for sure. So I admire your ethics in not taking a shot you're not comfortable with.

Moving right along and regarding your collection of antlers, I always keep one pair for rattling. I've made all sorts of things but my favorite is a fireplace tool set. You can use spikes, tines, or forks for the handles on the poker, etc. But you need a fairly decent rack for the base and top. Just an idea.

Why would shooting them going straight away be any harder than anything else? Actually, going straight away from you is almost like a stationary target. I have shot them in the neck like this and never had one get away. They usually drop at or close to the spot where you shoot them.

Also, I think you have that wrong about forcing them into the gene pool. We can shoot spikes and we encourage it, but usually we like to shoot genetically inferior spikes, not just young deer. But, there is evidence from research that suggests that most deer will get big if only given a chance to get older. And if you come down here I can show you where this is true. In the past I would have shot just about every buck I've seen this year. All are of quality. But they have to make that magical 13 inches to be legal. That's inside the beams. Now THAT is a nice deer.
    Oh, and an also here, I saw one of Rocket Deer's relatives yesterday morning. Except I think he was LEGAL! I saw him over to my left and from that angle he looked legal. I have watched all manner of bucks playing in the opening behind my feeder where I saw him yesterday. They usually will walk down the dam and then back out into the clearing and go right past where I was sitting. I saw him walking down along the dam and behind the tree line where I lost site of him and so I just sat still thinking he would loop back around and show his face again. But he didn't. He must have just kept walking around the lake back into the far left tree line. I should have known that a decent buck isn't going to stay out in the open too long this time of year. When he walked out of my sight I should have gotten up and walked to the end of the brush line on my left that he walked behind and peaked around and IDed him as a shooter and gone ahead and shot him.

But you know what they say, "That if if's and buts was Candy and Nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmans".....

That thing about that damn Hindsight usually gets me every time,:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I've had the privilege of witnessing a space shuttle launch once.......stood there in awe looking like a slack-jawed idiot at the immense power of that experience............fast forward.....I walked up on a small group of elk, spooked them, and watched them go ballistic up a mountain cliff with that same expression on my face. You really don't see amazing until you see a rather larger version of a deer accomplish what would normally be considered impossible.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    On the one going away you shot. Where did you aim/hit him at? I think you said you used a slug gun. We can use rifles here in most areas. If they're facing away from me I always aim for the neck. Which is easier to do with the increased precision of a rifle over a slug, in most cases.
    I don't know if you've ever taken one with a bow but barring the luxury of a heart shot, they will struggle a bit. Which is sad for sure. So I admire your ethics in not taking a shot you're not comfortable with.

Moving right along and regarding your collection of antlers, I always keep one pair for rattling. I've made all sorts of things but my favorite is a fireplace tool set. You can use spikes, tines, or forks for the handles on the poker, etc. But you need a fairly decent rack for the base and top. Just an idea.

I was on the ground, and yeah at the time I was using a slug gun. There is a lot of stuff between the smart emd and the vitals to stop a slug. Call it buckfever, or call it inexperience (it was the second deer Id shot).

I kinda place those that intentionally gut shoot deer in the same category as those that take head shots. Yes they are animals. But intentionally gut shooting an animal like that irks me. Other than a gut shot animal tasting like crap, Ive found a lot of animals that were gutshot that from looking at their bodies when I found them, took a long time (read more than a week). Ive also found a good number of animals that lost a jaw, or snout because the hunter doesn't understand that deer almost constantly move their heads and their brain is actually pretty small.

Aiming for the spine? Yeah, if Im in the stand, and they are pretty close Ill aim just a hair forward of the withers if I think they won't give me the opportunity for a broadside before they wander off. I say just a hair up the withers cause that part of the neck doesn't move with the rest of the head, so I don't have to worry about missing because of the deer (and I don't have to worry about ruining a bunch of backstrap. They won't live longer than they would have if I took out a lung and cause I don't have to track after em I can just climb down and cut their neck, dead in seconds.

As far as bow? You're right, even with a good hit taking out both lungs but missing the heart they can live for several minutes. But there is a huge difference between several minutes and several weeks.

I do like your idea about fireplace pokers. I might have to use it.
    Also, I think you have that wrong about forcing them into the gene pool. We can shoot spikes and we encourage it, but usually we like to shoot genetically inferior spikes, not just young deer. But, there is evidence from research that suggests that most deer will get big if only given a chance to get older. And if you come down here I can show you where this is true. In the past I would have shot just about every buck I've seen this year. All are of quality. But they have to make that magical 13 inches to be legal. That's inside the beams. Now THAT is a nice deer.

As Im sure you know, there are a great many factors that go into making a good rack. And I agree with ya when ya say shooting genetically inferior spikes. Though even if I see an old grey spike I might not kill him. It really depends on what the rest of their body looks like, and the type of summer they had. Before we had land I kept pretty good records on the lease I was on. One year we had a bad summer and he was a spike, the next we had a good one and he was fourteen points typical with a twenty five inside spread. A guy on the adjoining lease killed him.

I do have a question about the magical 13 inches. What happens if you thought he was legal and he ended up being eleven or twelve? I ask cause from my experience, guys cant even tell the difference between six and eight inches.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
    Ouch! Evil woman! :rotflmao:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Ouch! Evil woman! :rotflmao:

It's only evil if the shoe fits.
    Now, I ain't sayin'
    I'm just sayin'
    You see me ROTFLMAO right? I ain't worried, I just saw the shot across the bow as it was intended. We had a good laugh about it in PM, it's all good.
    You see me ROTFLMAO right? I ain't worried, I just saw the shot across the bow as it was intended. We had a good laugh about it in PM, it's all good.

I will now respectfully bow out of any further discussion in regards to your um..your..um, well not corporals but the next level down, as it were, cough cough.
    Yall spend far too much time talking about eachother's,,,, well you know.

From now on Ill try to keep my humor a lil more high brow. ;)
    While you're coughing, turn your head while the nurse checks........lol!
    Yall spend far too much time talking about eachother's,,,, well you know.

From now on Ill try to keep my humor a lil more high brow. ;)

You're just jealous you have to import your firearms.... ;-)
    You're just jealous you have to import your firearms.... ;-)
    Why yes, yes, This is my rifle; this is my gun and all that, perfect...
    Edit: Of course she gets to pick her barrel length while we're stuck with as issued equipment.
    Length is not as important.....look at the damage a 152mm on a Sheridan tank does, and it's a stubby barrel....girth is important though, its why the M1 tank went from the 105mm to the 120mm.....and from a polite British gun to a grunting German gun....it's all in the oompf! Trying REAL hard to keep this clean......:tooth: