Home Main Category Personal Defense

Looking for a rifle/shotgun for home protection, don't know what to get.

jakelandis361jakelandis361 New MemberPosts: 4 New Member
As the title states, I'm looking for a good (but inexpensive) home protection firearm, a handgun is out of the question seeing as I'm only 18. I decided I would get a home defense weapon after the most recent shooting, the world is so messed up right now with people going crazy. I figured it was high time I got myself some protection. I'm looking for a Semi-Auto rifle, or a 12 Gauge Pump Action shotgun with a stock and pistol grip. I'm trying for under 250 if possible since I only make minimum wage....any suggestions?

Thanks- Jake

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,674 Senior Member
    Before we get int all that, tell us something about your experience with firearms...are you a novice? raised around firearms? tell us more please...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jakelandis361jakelandis361 New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm a recreational shooter, I've never owned my own gun although I have shot on numerous occasions. My dad has been an avid hunter for the past 20 years, be it with a .308, a muzzle loader, compound bow, crossbow, 12 Gauge, 10 Gauge. I suppose I could say I was raised around guns lol I'm also a pretty good shot with a .22!!! :)
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Get a Mossberg 500 series 12 guage pump. Best and least expensive home defence weapon available. :up: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,424 Senior Member
    A Maverick 88 Security will get you in under budget. Forget the pistol grip, you will lose accuracy. At short range a shotgun still needs aimed...

Maverick88Model-31046.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,205 Senior Member
    A used Remington model 870 can be had for under $250. There are tons of accessories and aftermarket parts for them and it can double as a hunting gun. You can get a lot of value from that one gun. That is exactly what I bought for all my nephews.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Thanks guys!!! What about in terms of like a .22 Semi-Auto Rifle??? Would that be good in terms of home defense?
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    While .22 rifles have been used to good effect in home defense situations, why risk using such a small caliber? Unless you can unload your 10/22 with all ten rounds going into the bad guy's face, go with something bigger.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Whatever you decide on, buy it quick, especially if you decide on a semi-automatic anything. The Age Of Neat Stuff is about to end.
    Thanks guys!!! What about in terms of like a .22 Semi-Auto Rifle??? Would that be good in terms of home defense?
    If that is all you got, it is whole lot better than nothing (but is great for tin cans, squirrels, and rabbits). A shotgun with slugs or buckshot is a superior tool for home defense. If you mean a 22 centerfire rifle like an AR15 (as opposed to a rimfire), they are great for HD but an inexpensive one will set you back at least $600.
    -Thomas Paine
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,005 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
    Hmmm.....I'm actually going to my local gun store tomorrow to check a few different options out. Mind if I write it down the things I look at and post them here so you guys can weigh in?? You all seem to be MUCH more graced with knowledge in this topic than I. I'd like to make sure I get the right thing, for the right price. :)
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 792 Senior Member
    Hmmm.....I'm actually going to my local gun store tomorrow to check a few different options out. Mind if I write it down the things I look at and post them here so you guys can weigh in?? You all seem to be MUCH more graced with knowledge in this topic than I. I'd like to make sure I get the right thing, for the right price. :)

My all means, do that. My opinion is a used Remington 870 Express.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,803 Senior Member
    The Mossberg/Mavericks are going to be your best bet for the money involved.

A Ruger 10/22 would not be a terrible choice if you're at the point of only being able to afford one gun for the foreseeable future, and need it to serve both your defense and recreational needs. Just be aware that it's not a great choice either, and that the 12 gauge is the king of close quarters.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jennifersmithjennifersmith New Member Posts: 3 New Member
    An 870 Remington pump action shotgun.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    another vote for the 870.
    with all the accessories available, you do anything you'd ever want to do with a firearm with it..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    A used Remington model 870 can be had for under $250. There are tons of accessories and aftermarket parts for them and it can double as a hunting gun. You can get a lot of value from that one gun. That is exactly what I bought for all my nephews.

+1 this. My Rem870 tactical pump can't be beat IMO, for HD and the occasional game of duck, duck goose.
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    rootbrain wrote: »
    +1 this. My Rem870 tactical pump can't be beat IMO, for HD and the occasional game of duck, duck goose.
    get a rifled barrel and have a decent 100yd deer gun..
    get a 26" vent rib barrel, and have a pretty darn versatile field gun.
    get the 28", put a mid-bead on it, POOF! Instant clay buster...
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    You might want to cruise some pawn shops for a pistol caliber carbine like a High-Point or a Kel-Tec....but the most bang for your buck is gonna be a 12 ga pump-action shotgun.....Rem 870 or Moss 500......you could go with a single-shot HR/NEF.....but that's a single shot. I'd say get the shotgun. :up:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Actually, with a 18 1/2 inch smoothbore rifle sighted barrel firing forsters rifled slugs, and a 28 inch full choke barrel, you have virtually everything covered.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • PopfishPopfish New Member Posts: 1 New Member
    As others suggested either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are probably your best bet within your budget.

This is a solid suggestion based on good knowledge!
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    A Maverick 88 Security will get you in under budget. Forget the pistol grip, you will lose accuracy. At short range a shotgun still needs aimed...

That depends on if he was referring to pistol grip only or a pistol grip with a stock like the AR style collapsible or one of the Remington style. The 500 I just ordered has a collapsible stock because other than my .22's every one of my rifles has a pistol grip. I find I am more accurate with it than a standard stock because it is what i am used to shooting and fits my shooting style. It also helps reduce recoil as instead of taking it all in the shoulder it divides it between the palm of my hand and shoulder.

Back to the main topic at hand: mossberg 500 or Remington 870 is your best bet. I prefer Mossberg just because it is what I am comfortable with. My first shotgun I bought myself was a Mossberg 500 so I gravitate toward them. Others prefer Remington. Can't really go wrong with either. I say 12ga now and buy a .22 down the road. I love my savage 64 and 64 TRR-SR. Cheaper than a 10/22 but not as customizable and no high cap mags but I don't need them for what I use my .22's for.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • Dellg3Dellg3 New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    Mossberg 3-1 , 2 barrels & pistol grip , $400 . Davidson's .
  • skwirrelskwirrel Member Posts: 180 Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Get a Mossberg 500 series 12 guage pump. Best and least expensive home defence weapon available. :up: Later,

+1
    Live long and prosper.
  • chadmcqchadmcq New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Mossberg 500 (I own) and remington 12g both great choices for home defense. I would avoid the AR for home defense if you live in a populated area. Drywall and plywood don't do much for a bullet at that speed. Make sure if you use an AR, use rounds with 2x expansion. Don't want to shoot the neighbors!!
    chadmcq wrote: »
    Mossberg 500 (I own) and remington 12g both great choices for home defense. I would avoid the AR for home defense if you live in a populated area. Drywall and plywood don't do much for a bullet at that speed. Don't want to shoot the neighbors!!
    Buckshot will do the same thing...
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot14.htm
    There is no magic shot or bullet that is effective on bad guys but will not penetrate walls. The sooner we put that myth to rest, the better.
    -Thomas Paine
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,143 Senior Member
    Find either the Remington or Mosssberg used then buy a used .22 marlin 60 for fun :cool2:
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I use #6 nickel Goose loads 3" for home defence with #4 buck & 00 buck and slugs as back up. The Goose loads will go through drywall but not as bad as Buck shot. Neighbors only on one side of condo. Even with body armour it would be like Mike Tyson slugging you in the chest. Mossberg rules! :guns: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • TurkeyOakTurkeyOak Member Posts: 32 Member
    I bought a Maverick 88 with 28" barrel for $169. I added an 18" for $90' then bought a telescoping AR-style pistol grip stock.
    $300 for clays and home defense.
    My boss got a Remington 870 20 ga. with 20" barrel rigged for home defense for $300.
    Mossberg 500 is $300.
    Any of these work and hit the price point.
  • TurkeyOakTurkeyOak Member Posts: 32 Member
    I just checked online for 18" barrels. People are out or selling at very proud prices. So, buy a shotgun with a shorter home defense barrel already and buy a longer barrel when the panic subsides.
  • armymedicarmymedic Member Posts: 36 Member
    Prob a good idea to get you 18.5" HD barreled shotgun now or any shotgun with a pistol grip, adjustable stock, muzzle break\breacher, or capicity over 5 shells. Before someone trys to ban "Assault Shotguns" I personally hope they label them as something really sinister like Terror Thunder Sticks or Handheld Artillery Devices
    There are only three solutions for terrorism, 2 in the chest and 1 in the head