Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

NRA surrenders?

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,297 Senior Member
What the hell? Our NRA, "America's foremost defender of Second Amendment rights" has decided to go silent and completely MIA:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/1218/No-NRA-tweets-or-comments-A-savvy-tactic-or-mistake
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-nras-facebook-page-disappeared-right-after-the-newtown-massacre-2012-12

This is dumb. VERY dumb. Not only are they giving the Democrats, Liberals, Govt Control Freaks and Media (but I repeat myself...) the whole stage to frame this conversation- but they are making it seem like they have a guilty conscience.

The NRA needs to be out with the message- freedom is not why this happened. But all they have done is completely given up the stage.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,086 Senior Member
    Whatever they're doing....they're screwing up big time...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    What the hell are they supposed to say.....
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    Now is the time for grieving, not following the politicians and gun control crowd to never let a tragedy go to waste. There will be plenty of time to react. Let the pathetic media and politicians belittle themselves, I prefer the NRA to take the high ground .
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,297 Senior Member
    Nomadac wrote: »
    Now is the time for grieving, not following the politicians and gun control crowd to never let a tragedy go to waste. There will be plenty of time to react. Let the pathetic media and politicians belittle themselves, I prefer the NRA to take the high ground .

The high ground is retreating and going into hiding like you did something wrong?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member

^This^

There is no point, yet, in the NRA playing their cards - no one is willing to listen, yet. This is a highly emotional time and people are not listening to logic. For all but the people closest to this, those emotions will gradually subside, and they will start to think about this reasonably, if they were ever capable of reasonable thought, in the first place. When the knee-jerk politicians get their ridiculous legislation drawn up, it can be systematically chewed to bits, with nothing but honest logic. Reasonable people will not be swayed as much by the media shrieking it's hateful message.
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,196 Senior Member
    I don't pretend to know what the 'right thing' is either, but I'm uncomfortable with their total silence. At least they could offer condolences...??? I agree that they appear to be hiding their heads in shame, even though they've done nothing wrong. It's uncomfortable being a lightning rod for national anger, however badly misplaced, I fully understand that; yet their almost macabre silence can't be serving them well either.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    This is what I wrote on the other thread...

"It is best for them to lay low for now. A happy sounding generic message came up on their Twitter feed a few hours after that Batman shooting earlier this year that made them look stupid and insensitive. Right now people are screaming that "babies blood is on their hands" and all kinds of crazy stuff. Nothing good is going to come from having a presence on social networking at this point in time anyway. I am shocked that we haven't had any nut-jobs (besides our own) on here yet"

Politicians are taking advantage of the situation to push their gun banning agenda and it looks shameful and pathetic to me. The NRA can wait this out and come forth with a measured and sober response when the time is more appropriate. These poor people haven't even all been buried yet. I feel it is inappropriate for them to speak out at this time. Not all press is good press and anything that they say right now will just be twisted around and used against us.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly.

There is not one single thing they (NRA) can say or do that will help them in this case. Those of us who are pro-gun will remain that way. Antis, likewise.

Those who are on the fence, however... These were kids for crying out loud. Now is not the time.

I would like to see the NRA put out a statement perhaps, saying their thoughts and prayers are with the families of the fallen. But that's it.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,223 Senior Member
    They released a statement saying they were waiting until the 'real' facts were known.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    I understand WHY they are doing it. It is just a bad idea to have the only voices out there being the leftists. We have the president using the Bully Pulpit to start the call, and then all the usual experts on every possible media outlet dancing in the blood of innocents to force through the agenda.

Sure, I can understand locking your facebook page to not have the trolls take over. But running away completely makes it seem like you have something to hide. DON'T let the other side frame the argument as being only about guns. This is when they need to earn their pay.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Sources close to the issue tell Fox News that the National Rifle Association -- which has remained silent since the shooting, chiefly to allow for a proper period for mourning -- will soon start to "push back" against the gun-control lobby.

"If we're going to have a conversation, then let's have a comprehensive conversation," said one industry source. "If we're going to talk about the Second Amendment, then let's also talk about the First Amendment, and Hollywood, and the video games that teach young kids how to shoot heads.

"If you really want to stop incidents like this," the source continued, "passing one more law is not going to do a damn thing. Columbine happened when? In 1999. Smack in the middle of the original assault-weapons ban."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/18/nra-to-push-back-soon-sources-say/#ixzz2FQwFI7JQ

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/18/nra-to-push-back-soon-sources-say/
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    The children haven't even been buried yet, but that has not stopped the ghoulish behavior of politicians, political pundits, and the incessant talking heads to go full court press on milking the situation for all it's worth. The time for the families and the nation to grieve over the tragedy is now; time enough to later enter into a meaningful conversation on this later. Knee jerk reactions and a rush to judgement is not the answer.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,810 Senior Member
    http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1778157

Press conference coming on Friday.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    Let to funerals get over with, and the media will start to settle down. I think it is GOOD for the NRA to lay low for now, let the law enforcement sort out the facts, than we can debate the facts that this kid had mental issues and it is sounding like his mother contributed to the problem. The NRA will speak when the time is right, otherwise they look bad in the public eye and that will do us gun owners no good. Take Care,----Riflemann
  • JamesAPrattIIIJamesAPrattIII Member Posts: 156 Member
    The NRA needs to get somebody out there ASAP and stand up to that lying Bastard Bloomberg and his pals. Things that need to be brought up:
    Bloomberg some years ago had a couple of private detectives go to other states and buy guns to show how easy it was. of course this violated the GCA 1968 but, nobody did anything about it. How about having a grand jury invetigation of this crime(s).
    There was a mass school stabing in China 20 children were wounded. Note China is a TOTOLITARIAN DICTATORSHIP. Since 1949 they have only killed 35 to 60 million of there own people. Some Obama types think Chinese leader Mao was a great leader!
    Note occations where lives were saved by guns like in them Portland mall and at pearl Mississippi
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The NRA will get around to making wimpy statements and making its usual tepid defense of our gun rights in its own time. Right now, even their pantywaist protests would be inappropriate. Also, at the appropriate time, more energetic organizations like GOA will man the front lines of the battle. Right now, shoveling sand against the tide will do no good.
    Jerry
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,086 Senior Member
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Riflemann wrote: »
    Let to funerals get over with, and the media will start to settle down. I think it is GOOD for the NRA to lay low for now, let the law enforcement sort out the facts, than we can debate the facts that this kid had mental issues and it is sounding like his mother contributed to the problem. The NRA will speak when the time is right, otherwise they look bad in the public eye and that will do us gun owners no good. Take Care,----Riflemann

I would think it was a good thing as well, IF people would not set thier minds with whatever 'facts' that the media feeds them now as being the truth. Stupid people will make up their minds now, and then there will be no talking them out of it.

If they were just there countering the Antis with "We don't know all the facts", "Stop dancing in the blood of innocents and let the families grieve." or just a simple "We can have a discussion on this later." It would at least be a countering voice to the strident calls to DO SOMETHING NOW! DEAR GOD, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!"

We let them have a 10 mile head start. They set the tone and the frame of the conversation. And the NRA let them.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,196 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    "If we're going to have a conversation, then let's have a comprehensive conversation," said one industry source. "If we're going to talk about the Second Amendment, then let's also talk about the First Amendment, and Hollywood, and the video games that teach young kids how to shoot heads.

"If you really want to stop incidents like this," the source continued, "passing one more law is not going to do a damn thing. Columbine happened when? In 1999. Smack in the middle of the original assault-weapons ban."

If memory serves, no assault weapons were used at Columbine; if I'm right then that quote makes no sense.
    Of course, my memory of that horrible incident is incomplete; IOW I could be wrong.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member
    TEC-9 was used. A submachine-gun-looking pistol with a 36-round mag.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    TEC-9 was used. A submachine-gun-looking pistol with a 36-round mag.

He's still right, there were no "assault weapons" used. Nor was there one used in CO or CT.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Y'all forgot your Sun Tzu "Art of War", haven't you!?
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Stupid people will make up their minds now, and then there will be no talking them out of it.

Those are simply the conditions that exist, right now. The election has proved that, and there is no sensible plan in place to counter those that want big government non-solutions to every problem. At this point, the inmates are running the asylum, and the only thing a thoughtful person can do, at the moment, is prepare for a time when these people have realized the folly of their childish attitudes. Everything they believe is built on lies, and it is easy enough to turn them around, with facts...if they are listening. But there is no chance of getting anyone to listen, while they are being assaulted with images of dead children and shrieking mothers. There is simply no logic that can penetrate that emotional chaos, and the media will not tell the truth about anything that can damage their agenda.

The problem is not now, nor has it ever been, having the winning argument - the trick is in getting to a place where there can be an honest evaluation of the problem, so the argument can be made. You cannot get people who refuse the facts to accept any solution that is based on those facts. The majority of voters have accepted a narrative that fits some hazy ideal that they have simply decided to believe, and they will not hear anything that weakens the narrative.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,521 Senior Member
    He's still right, there were no "assault weapons" used. Nor was there one used in CO or CT.
    Oh, I know. I was just mentioning what was the most "evil-looking" firearm.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Whatever they're doing....they're screwing up big time...
    :that::agree:
    "It is what it is":usa: