Home Main Category Hunting

Duck Season back in

NNNN Senior MemberNCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
It started last Sat and I managed to get out today and found a bunch of ducks that
just did not want to play and were flushing out of range.

My shooting was off a little when I did get close, because I was
dropping ducks and not killing them and they dove for Davie Jones's locker
or some where. I lost at lest 3 Ruddy Ducks and a Bluebill.
So I shot 10 to get 6, not good. Two of them may not have been hit, just flew into the water and dove. Probably hit.

I finally killed one, then 3 from the next flock, and then a single bluebill that came from somewhere unknown.

I then headed for home unless I found some on the way, I did and I did get close to their flight path when they flushed. I shot one that was clear of the others and was low to the water and it skipped 5 or 6 times before coming to rest.

5 Ruddy Ducks and a bluebill.

It could be a good season if it does not freeze up.

Replies

  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Well Ned, you're not having much luck with squirrels. But you're doing well with the ducks. Seems like they're jumping long on ya now though. If it keeps up. You might try my suggestion of a brush pile in the front of the boat. Good luck!
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,602 Senior Member
    I was out last wekend. The duck are comming south I got two Mallards adn missed a couple more. I'll be back out Saturday. I can't wait I love duck hunting!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,244 Senior Member
    Never been. Don't know how or where to go. But I'd love to...
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Sovereign SCPosts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Never been. Don't know how or where to go. But I'd love to...

    If I could go duck hunting as much as I'd like to go, I would be fine if all other hunting was outlawed. With the right people, I promise you, you won't find a better way to spend your time than duck hunting. (at least with clothes on)
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Never been. Don't know how or where to go. But I'd love to...

    Buffy, I lost access to a farm I hunted for years or I'd gladly invite you. But I know a guy that guides on the refuge and on private land. He's good and a nice guy too. If you have an interest PM me and I'll get you his info.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    Never been. Don't know how or where to go. But I'd love to...

    NZ.....First weekend in May. Just tell me your flight details, all the rest will be taken care of. Tell your dad its a sales trip.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Better day today, I did not lose any.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Quick hunt today 32 minutes, fired 4 shots; one clean miss and 5 ducks.

    I then found a fresh dead duck floating in the creek; did a quick
    autopsy and confirmed it was less than an hour dead and had been shot.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,403 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Quick hunt today 32 minutes, fired 4 shots; one clean miss and 5 ducks.

    I then found a fresh dead duck floating in the creek; did a quick
    autopsy and confirmed it was less than an hour dead and had been shot.

    Is it the one you think you missed?

    Have had that happen to me quite a few times with steel. Last one was on closing day this year. A mallard drake came screaming over the dekes with the afterburners lit up. Swung through him and was sure I had connected but he didnt deviate and continued flying. I lost sight of him due to the mangroves. 30 mins later I was moving to a different location and found a freshly killed drake floating in the harbour about a mile from where I had been. As there were no other hunters for a 6 mile radius and I hadnt heard any other shooters I am confident it was the same bird.

    Good to see you out and about Ned.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    No Alec, I had put up 3 ducks and shot 2 with the only shot I took at them and the one
    I did not shoot or shoot at went a different direction to where this one that was floating down
    wind .

    I had not gotten there until 1000, so this duck was shot by someone long gone for the day.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    It started last Sat and I managed to get out today and found a bunch of ducks that
    just did not want to play and were flushing out of range.

    My shooting was off a little when I did get close, because I was
    dropping ducks and not killing them and they dove for Davie Jones's locker
    or some where. I lost at lest 3 Ruddy Ducks and a Bluebill.
    So I shot 10 to get 6, not good. Two of them may not have been hit, just flew into the water and dove. Probably hit.

    I finally killed one, then 3 from the next flock, and then a single bluebill that came from somewhere unknown.

    I then headed for home unless I found some on the way, I did and I did get close to their flight path when they flushed. I shot one that was clear of the others and was low to the water and it skipped 5 or 6 times before coming to rest.

    5 Ruddy Ducks and a bluebill.

    It could be a good season if it does not freeze up.

    Ned, if you went to my deer lease you would poop your pants. Right across the road from the gate to where I hunt is a shallow lake with at least 60 million ducks and geese on it. Ok well that's a bit of an exaggeration, but there's probably 2 or 3 thousand out there. But the land owner doesn't let us shoot waterfowl outside of our part of the lease. They charge $17,500 for the rights to the waterfowl outside of our deer lease. If a goose or duck flies over us low enough and we have a shotgun in the deer blind we can shoot it. But outside the deer lease it's big time waterfowl hunting. There's Pin Tails, Mallards, Widgeons, Gray Ducks, and all kinds of Teal. Today when I stopped and got out of the car to open the gate, the sky was so full of ducks you couldn't see past them.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,602 Senior Member
    I'm heading out his weekend. I live in N.Cal and it's going to be raining and blowing! I can't wait!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Interesting day today, winds 24 kts with gusts to 38.
    It is an understatement to say paddling was difficult.
    At times it was all I could do to not be blown backward.
    Boat ran a little goosey in the wind, had to slow down as the bow
    was getting blown around when near plane.

    Oh yeah, the fishermen were elsewhere.

    Water was about 2.5 feet low as it was being blown to the other side of the main river and sound.


    Mike: We have a place like that in the next county----not as many ducks and
    different ones. Why pay big money to hunt bluebills and ringnecks when you
    can for free; just have to get up early and put out decoys.
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Interesting day today, winds 24 kts with gusts to 38.
    It is an understatement to say paddling was difficult.
    At times it was all I could do to not be blown backward.
    Boat ran a little goosey in the wind, had to slow down as the bow
    was getting blown around when near plane.

    Oh yeah, the fishermen were elsewhere.

    Water was about 2.5 feet low as it was being blown to the other side of the main river and sound.


    Mike: We have a place like that in the next county----not as many ducks and
    different ones. Why pay big money to hunt bluebills and ringnecks when you
    can for free; just have to get up early and put out decoys.

    Yeah I agree.

    What I would love to do though is since I primarily deer and hog hunt and fish, I don't have the time and energy to do the duck thing right. I do love it though so what I'm wanting to do is go on a paid hunt at one of these places like is on this ranch where I hunt deer. I would pay $300-$400 a year to hunt a couple of times where I could limit out on Puddle ducks and geese. At least I'd like to do that every two or three years. Like I say, I do love duck hunting. Nothing like watching a flock come into decoys. That gets my blood going as well as seeing a 12 point mega buck.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement