Home Main Category Hunting

Back at it with the 30-378 W

Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior MemberPosts: 8,218 Senior Member
This rifle is definitely for hunting so I put it here.
Zeroed and shot at 400, 500, and 600 last Saturday with my SIL's friends 30-378 Weatherby.
MV was lower than expected with the 180 AB's at 3160 fps. Oh Well!
Now to shooting, prone with bi-pod. Still throwing shots once it warmed up (like in three shots)
Started at 400 with 2-shots. Not pleased with the spread but the were hits. All 12" targets.
40012-15_zps4c0d8912.jpg

500 yards- 3-shots. Close to a double on the left side.
50012-15_zpsaf022565.jpg

At 600 yards I only got one shot on target and it was at 6 O'clock on the steel.

Seems like it is a 2-shot rifle. Do you know how much I dislike inconsistency??? :angry::nono:

Wondered if the stock might be touching the barrel, so checked. Forend has to much flex in it, so there were some tight spots-RATS!
Took some material out of the forend channel, so we have clearance.
Have to rezero again. First two shots at 100 touching-Yeah! Third shot-Ugh!
Going to 400. Target today looked like 400 on Saturday-Meh
Let the barrel completely cool. At least it was around freezing when I was shooting today so that made the wait shorter.
Went to 500. 2-shots basically touching, third shot off.
3shots50012-18_zps40e05a47.jpg

Okay, now go mess around and wait for this to cool down again.................................................
At 600 yards I only shot twice, but I least I was in the money this time.
Just getting some drops down, not worried about placement so much as grouping.
One on each side of the bolt.
Called the owner. Told him what was done, positive and negative.
Conditions were real good each day, with the wind picking up a tad from the left today at 5 & 6.
600yds12-18_zpsc7ec8ec6.jpg
Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 8,218 Senior Member
    Forgot to mention reason MV was low that we ran into pressure much earlier than expected, so I couldn't realistically shoot for groups with that much powder.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,944 Senior Member
    Awesome.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Never was just overly impressed with Weatherby, but sure wasn't anti Weatherby.
    I know not all are this way but it has soured me some.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,937 Senior Member
    Consistently inconsistent eh? Rather surprised you were running into pressure that early, 3150-ish is 300 Wby land, the 378 should be closer to 3400 should it not?
    Yes and yes.
    Consistently inconsistent eh? Rather surprised you were running into pressure that early, 3150-ish is 300 Wby land, the 378 should be closer to 3400 should it not?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Didn't pay attention to how little internal adjustment this scope has until last night. For that much money it is disappointing.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    What kind of pressure signs are you getting? If the primer is flowing back into the firing pin hole, you might need a bushing and a reduced pin diameter. Gre-Tan rifles modified the Scooter bolt that way and allowed me to work up a hotter load. It was actually holing primers about 200-300 FPS below the max load for the case head.
    Jerry
    Had really heavy bolt lift.
    Both Chuck and I were both surprised/frustrated by this.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Has the headspace been checked? That cartridge is so far overbore that even a little extra room for the case to get a running start at the boltface can be a problem.
    Jerry
    That is a gut feeling of mine, but i have not checked it yet.
    Teach wrote: »
    Has the headspace been checked? That cartridge is so far overbore that even a little extra room for the case to get a running start at the boltface can be a problem.
    Jerry
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    What powder is going in?
    Retumbo
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    If you check load manuals, you will see I am soooo far away from a max load with Retumbo:wink:
    I use Retumbo in my 7 Dakota and my 338 AX (Lapua Improved).
    I am loading up the fired rounds and this baby is going back to its owner.
    I have given this diva to much time and attention given its value and quality in the marketplace.

On a side note, there was a nice Weatherby Mark V that shot great for me but it had a heavier barrel: 416 Weatherby
    Shot nice consistent groups with I think it was a 350 grain Barnes X.
    I think it had a laminated wood stock or just regular wood-Can't remember now.
    Brake was still sucky, but it was better than no brake at all.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yea checking some data, 3160 is what you should be doing with Retumbo and 200gr NAB's...not 180's. Bummer. Seriously sounds like there is a problem with that rifle. Is it all factory? Any chance it was a custom barrel without the free bore?
    All factory:yawn:
    Yea checking some data, 3160 is what you should be doing with Retumbo and 200gr NAB's...not 180's. Bummer. Seriously sounds like there is a problem with that rifle. Is it all factory? Any chance it was a custom barrel without the free bore?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member

YES!!!

In fact, my plain 300 Wby will chrony 180s at 3200 and some change. What was your load?

I use RL 25 and both 180 Grain Sierra Game Kings and Hornady Interlocks with CCI Large Magnum Rifle Primers. There's no pressure signs to be had with this load, though I have do look up the exact powder charge. I'm thinking it's 82 grains.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    The law of diminishing returns seems to be coming into play here- - - - -burn powder by the cupful for a little, if any increase in velocity. My buddy who ran a mom & pop gunshop called those necked-down artillery rounds "cripple and kill" guns- - - - - -kills the game and cripples the shooter!
    Jerry
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Yeah Jerry, I agree the thing can kill on both ends, but this just ain't right! I think like you said, it doesn't have any Weatherby Free Bore.

Like I said, my plain ol' 300 WBY will top that. And it's reasonably accurate too. I can shoot 1.25-1.5 with it for 4 or 5 shots. When I have a new toy I always go for 5 shot groups just to wring it out. I know it will do a good bit better with only three shots.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
    Owner was very pleased with his rifle.
    His first shot hit exactly where he wanted it at 460 yards.
    Second shot had a form break and it went high.
    Third shot just left of his first shot.
    I now have his 33-378 Weatherby:bang:
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Hmmmm- - - - - -the guy must be a masochist! Does his girlfriend wear a leather bustier and carry a whip?

Masochist: "HIT ME!"

Sadist: "NO!"

:devil:
    Jerry
    This one will get the same trigger job and MAC brake. I will also have Chuck check the bedding and the barrel channel, and crown this time as well.
    This one has a couple of load already developed for it by the previous owner.
    Hoping there is not as much stress in this barrel as the 30-378
    This one has a Zeiss scope on it.
    He was a little shocked at my clarity/bluntness when he asked what I thought about his 30-378 set-up.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I'm paraphrasing, but would "It sucks like a Hoover upright" be pretty close to the right sentiment?
    Jerry
    Three things with this set-up.
    Inconsistent after 2 shots.
    Slow velocity for cartridge
    Scope does not have enough MOA for shots much beyond 750 yards.
    The inconsistency is the main issue for me.
    I can solve a scope issue and the MV is still doable at the distances he wants
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"