Home Main Category Hunting

Another successful hunt.

EturnEturn MemberPosts: 317 Member
First off, sorry that I haven't been around much recently. Life got really busy.

Anyway. Last week during the last few days of the second shotgun season I picked off a pretty big one.

I got into the stand a lil before sunup, and started hearing the dominant buck I'd been hunting grunting a hundred or so yards off. So I decided to have a conversation with him. We grunted back and forth for about two hours when a younger, but still large buck showed up to see what all the talking was about. Seeing as his neck was still swollen pretty good, and the stink that was coming off him, I figure they went into their second rut. Easy shot at about fifty yards with a field barrel. He went down instantly. But even dressed he was a pain to drag out. It wasn't until I got him hung that I found out just how heavy he was. He dressed at almost two seventy. He was so big that he made his eight point, twenty inch inside spread look small.

Anyone that knows me knows that I don't hunt horns. But If I kill something with horns Im at least going to use them. If I killed him just because of bad genetics Ill use them for knife handles or a shelf or something. But when they are decent Im going to do at least an antler mount.

Here is a better pic of his head before I skinned it and started prepping it for a mount.

He gave me a little more than a hundred and fifty pounds of meat, and another hide to tan. Though I sent it in to be soft tanned cause Im thinking of turning it into a jacket.
“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Replies

• RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member
    He was a bruiser. Nice mass to his rack too. If you make that jacket I'd like to see it.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    Will do.

I think he was bigger than that old dominant buck Id been hunting. Sure that old buck (from the camera) looked to be fourteen points, but doesn't look to be anywhere near as large and heavy as that younger buck was.

Oh yeah, from looking at his teeth, he looked to be four or four and a half years old.

We are now back into bow season. So as soon as I get some things done round the house Ill be back out.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,659 Senior Member
    Wow, nice deer, lift with your legs:jester:, that is a good start on filling the freezer.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Lift with my legs? Are you kidding me. He dressed at almost three times my body weight. Once I got him out of the woods I put him in a skidsteer.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Most excellent and a really nice buck to boot.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Thanks.

The interesting thing about him though, was the hair on his crown. Ya know how most whitetail bucks have that red tint to their crown? He didn't have that. His head, other than his ears, kinda reminded me of the color a muley has. So I took the hide from that part of his head, and am tanning it so I can use it instead of leather or felt on the antler mount.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member WyomingPosts: 8,566 Senior Member
    Looking forward to seeing that mount.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Panama City, Fl.Posts: 8,687 Senior Member
    Very nice!! Good job!! If I remember you are in either Iowa or Minnesota, the eastern counties are shotgun only, correct??!! Those nice antlers make for tough dragging, since they snag all the brush and such!!:jester: Snow makes for a lot easier dragging!!
    South eastern Iowa. Some of the counties down here do have a rifle season, but only during late doe.

When dragging I tie a harness round the shoulders up the back of the neck, and round the horns to keep em up off the ground while I drag.

And thanks. He topped off one of my freezers. If I am able to find two more decent deer I'll only have one freezer left, and after late doe Ill be heading down to my friend's place in Missouri to kill some pig. One or two of them and Ill be set on meat for the year.
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 520 Senior Member
    Wow, great looking deer. Congrats.

S/E Iowa, eh?.....How far from Danville/Burlington? Got some whacko relatives down that way.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    You go girl!

;-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    bklysen wrote: »
    Wow, great looking deer. Congrats.

S/E Iowa, eh?.....How far from Danville/Burlington? Got some whacko relatives down that way.

Im not too far from there.

And thanks again yall.
  • shootershooter Senior Member IllinoisPosts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Very nice buck! We're practically neighbors. Our new 1000 yard benchrest range is outside of Memphis, Mo. and I pass through Keokuk, IA en route. Nice country.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Corvallis, OregonPosts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Congratulations! You could turn the antlers into a coat rack for your new jacket.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Ive actually got a bunch of sheds Ive been looking to use for something. Thanks for the idea.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,401 Senior Member
    Excellent result. While I dont pass up an opportunity to take something with horns if it presents itself, I am first and foremost a meat hunter like yourself. I am happiest when my freezer is full ( which it is at the moment)

Look forward to seeing the jacket .....good luck for the bow hunting.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Manistee Natl ForestPosts: 18,280 Senior Member
    Definitely a bruiser....congratulations helluva buck
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Miami, FL almost in the USA ;)Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    :win:
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Hey E.....if it's no sweat on you....send me the tail and a patch of belly fur so I can tie some flies with 'm.....watcha say 'mmmmm? Trade ya some elk-meat for it!

P.S...... good shot!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Eturn wrote: »
    When dragging I tie a harness round the shoulders up the back of the neck, and round the horns to keep em up off the ground while I drag.

Yea, but how do you harness up the deer? Just kidding. Awesome deer!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine