Home Main Category Personal Defense

Feeding frenzy in full force.....

ChuckXXChuckXX BannedPosts: 103 Member
I guess I should not be surprised by the happenings of late but there is a full force feeding frenzy going on. Thousands upon thousands of new gun applications being processed all over the country. Where I live here in Omaha there was a "front page" story on how Douglas and Sarpy county are now working "overtime" just to process the thousands of gun applications they are receiving. Just as a small example I called Sig Sauer directly to order 4 15 round mags for my 2 Sigs and they guy that took the order said they are on backorder and I should have them in 2 or 3 months. I then called my favorite ammo supplier "Midway USA" and had same problems. I finally found a 3rd choice and took 850 rounds of what they had left. What scares me the most is pretty soon everybody and their monkeys uncle is going to be carrying a gun and I just wonder how much decent training they will have gotten. I think you all would agree that "gun experience" is priceless and there is a frenzy right now that is really scary.

Replies

• NaptymeNaptyme New Member Posts: 13 New Member
    I just got back from trying to find magazines for my M&P.40, heard some crazy stuff. In Jackson, MS they sold almost $10K(yesterday) in CCW Permits and a guy went into Bass Pro and bought every .223 bullet they had in stock (roughly $3k worth).

I am looking to buy a Kel Tec KSG and either a Steyr or MSAR STG, is there any place you could think of I could order those and a couple magazines?
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,663 Senior Member
    I think I snagged the last AR in my area (because it was a lefty), but the LGS I got it at also was selling out of frull size 9mm's too. He was out of Glocks, only had a couple XDM's, and getting low on M&P's...

If I hadn't got the AR, I was thinking of getting an M&P mself...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Sadly, none of the places around my area carry Left handed weapons which sucks for me
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,551 Senior Member
    Stopped by a couple LGS's this morning just out of curiosity. Both had a couple of AR's still on the rack, down from full racks 2 weeks ago. One was rationing ammo and somewhat picked over on handguns. The other was fairly well stocked, even had ample primers in stock. Looked at an XD/S .45acp and a Walther PPS in 9mm, both would make nice ccw options in the event we get anything to happen here in the land of Lincoln since the recent court ruling. We shall see.....

Sako
  • ChuckXXChuckXX Banned Posts: 103 Member
    Wambli; Atleast keep your favorite 2 weapons. I don't want you to be empty handed if the bad guys come for you. I always enjoy your posts. Its just quite crazy out there right now. Just shows you how "fragile" the world is.
    Speaking of Gunbroker , I just created an account there. Is it a pretty good site for ordering stuff? I ask because I just ordered some magazines
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Naptyme, welcome to our humble little corner of the World Wide Webz!

Gunbroker is nothing more than eBay for guns. Exactly the same "rules" apply - your buying experience is entirely dependent on the seller.

When bidding, check out the Seller's feedback, it's an excellent way to judge that seller's integrity and the level of satisfaction of prior customers. 100% satisfaction is extremely rare in any enterprise, but overwhelmingly positive ratings indicate a reliable and ethical seller. Even any negative comments can be informative, especially if the seller takes the time to reply to someone with a less-than-stellar review.

Also, the asking prices on the items listed are NOT always a good reference point for fair market value. Sellers can ask whatever their little heart desires for their merchandise, but nobody has to bid on something that's drastically overpriced. Unless you really really want to add that three-thousand-dollar Hi-Point to your home collection, of course...
  • BenwizardBenwizard New Member Posts: 4 New Member
    Silly me. The minute I was sure the Dictator-In-Chief was reelected I poured $18,000.00 into ammo. Having second thoughts (that I might not have spent enough) I looked for a few thou .223 more but I found there wasn't any. Virtually every site was sold out except for the more expensive brands and even that was getting scarce. This isn't fear of restrictions but the arming of America. Am I the only one who thinks so?
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    I went to the 4 gun shops in Fargo ND this morning, and not a one had any AR's on there shelves, and a large run on Ammo. This could be an interesting ride.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Sadly, all of my guns were lost in a tragic boating accident off the coast of South Dakota; all I have left to defend myself are a butter knife and a couple of chopsticks...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Sadly, all of my guns were lost in a tragic boating accident off the coast of South Dakota; all I have left to defend myself are a butter knife and a couple of chopsticks...
    Very well stated. I might borrow that explanation! Thanks.
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    Hey Naptyme,

If you are in the Jackson, MS area: At one time there was a store in Jackson called Mississippi Shooters Supply. I think it was on State St. Is it still there?
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    It's not just a run of guns and ammo. The NRA announced it was processing 8,000 new member a day since Newtown.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    Benwizard wrote: »
    This isn't fear of restrictions but the arming of America. Am I the only one who thinks so?

Nope. I was working in California gun sales from 1992-2005, and I've seen ban scare sales on both the local and federal levels. It is EXACTLY as Thomas Jefferson said - "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that is will not be needed until they try to take it". Wicked Witch Feinstein, Bubba Clinton, the Bat-Eared Boob, and the California, Illinois, and D.C. legislatures have probably all done more to wake people up over the last 25 years than ANYTHING the NRA could have done. I find it greatly amusing that since the original 1989 California ban, the AR-15 has gone from being a fringe rifle owned by survivalists and ex-military folks to "everybody's rifle". The ONLY reason there are so many of them out there now is that the liberal tools have publicly said we shouldn't be allowed to have them.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    The biggest LGS in Colorado Springs (2nd largest town in Colorado) is about 150 yards north of where I work. I drive past its parking lot at least twice a day and have been doing so for almost three years. It's a pretty big store, and the parking lot is huge.

Since Monday, every time I've driven past during the store's business hours, there's not a parking space to be had. I saw a police officer yesterday ticketing the folks who had parked on the street.

Nothing, not hunting season, not Christmas, not shortages, O's first election, rumors of shortages, rumors of bans/restrictions, has ever generated anything like what I've seen over the past four days. Something is different this time, for sure.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    @gunrunner Thanks for the welcome

@Ruger I never heard of the store you talked about but I rarely go south of the Ridgeland and Brandon areas
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Drove past my fav gunshop yesterday and the lot was hardly full. I wondered about that because even in good times there's a lot of business there. Walked in and they had about 1/3rd of their handgun racks still carrying anything. All their ARs were gone. Not a .223 cartridge in the house. The only AR styles they had were .22lr. No AKs or SKSs on the racks. The only bulk ammo they had was for 7.62X39. The phone was ringing constantly and every time it was answered it was an AR question. It's freaking wierd! Glad I bought 1000 rounds last month and my latest Upper last summer.

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »

beat me to it..
    previous post deleted..

too bad a lot of my stuff is so esoteric..
    I won't make much money on Gunbroker..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Benwizard wrote: »
    Silly me. The minute I was sure the Dictator-In-Chief was reelected I poured $18,000.00 into ammo. Having second thoughts (that I might not have spent enough) I looked for a few thou .223 more but I found there wasn't any. Virtually every site was sold out except for the more expensive brands and even that was getting scarce. This isn't fear of restrictions but the arming of America. Am I the only one who thinks so?

That's not a bad thing IMO. Politicians only respect us BECAUSE we have the power to revolt. Not that I am advocating revolting by any means, but just having the option is what has kept this country from declining as rapidly as many others have IMO. Just look at what is happening in Australia to see what to expect after they manage to disarm the populace.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    Locally, asking prices on used AR lowers went up ~$300, and used complete rifles went up $700.
    I don't know if anyone is paying it, but that's what I've seen in the last few days.
    People are definitely freaking out.

I'm glad I got out ahead of the curve.
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    I pulled the trigger on a Colt 6920 just 2 weeks before the NJ school shooting (pun intended). Friend of mine told me I was crazy to pay $1087 at Wally World for that, because I could just buy the other model (can't remember, was not a top tier) for $795, saving over 300 for ammo. His "other model" which he went in to buy was $1250, Colt was not even available. He got mad and said no way, left the store for home, thought better and said screw it. Went back in, it was maybe 20 mins. His "other model" was gone. Came over to my house and offered me $1500 cash for my Colt 6920. Turned him down, but let him hold it for a minute.......he is a friend after all.:applause:
  • sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,220 Senior Member
    I've been looking around here for a month for a 9mm Shield and haven't been able to find one. With all the hysteria going on now I'll never find one.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Naptyme wrote: »
    I just got back from trying to find magazines for my M&P.40, heard some crazy stuff. In Jackson, MS they sold almost $10K(yesterday) in CCW Permits and a guy went into Bass Pro and bought every .223 bullet they had in stock (roughly $3k worth).

I am looking to buy a Kel Tec KSG and either a Steyr or MSAR STG, is there any place you could think of I could order those and a couple magazines?

Don't know if it will help you guys or not but Geogia arms is listing .223 in stock. Not sure if these prices are inflated or not but here's the link:

http://georgia-arms.com/search.aspx?find=.223+ammo
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
    A good friend of mine had ordered 500 rounds of .223 before Newtown and was informed their was a 6 week back order...they contacted him today and let him know it would now be at least a year...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    I never succumbed to the allure of an AR, but was thinking now might be the time to buy an M1A
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    "smile and wave boys......smile and wave...."
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • RiflemannRiflemann Member Posts: 269 Member
    Sherwood, I ordered 2 M&P40 shields 6 months ago and the first one showed up 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting for the second one. I paid in full for both guns when I ordered them so I was number 1 & 2 on the dealers list to receive. This gun is one sweet carry gun, keep looking and put money down if you can move up on any dealer lists. Good Luck,----Riflemann
  • moose13moose13 New Member Posts: 20 New Member
    I was also at my local gun store yesterday and i commented to the owner Mark on how busy it was, he said between Christmas shoppers and people getting into or updating their guns, this is bar none the most business he has done ever in a single week.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Went by the local Walmart today out of curiosity. They had one AR left on display, and it had a dedicated .22 LR upper on it. Ammunition was nonexistent except for a few 100 count boxes of 12 ga. shotshells. Two LGS were open, so I dropped in to see what they had. They had bare shelves, but one had a few old overpriced beaters on the rack. Wow.

"The Obama administration will go down in history as the best gun sales tool of all time." You heard it here first.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,907 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    "The Obama administration will go down in history as the best gun sales tool of all time." You heard it here first.

Most certainly. Instead of "taking guns off the street", the Dems have single-handedly been the best salesman for them. OOPS!

They just don't get it.