Home Main Category Personal Defense

9mm vs. .45 suggestions please

moose13moose13 New MemberPosts: 20 New Member
First off, Hello all. Newbee here.

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death but i am ready to buy and would like your opinions.

Ok, i have fired both the Glock 9mm and .45 and like both guns. I know the .45 has more punch and the 9mm holds more rounds and the ammo is cheaper.

I am trying to talk myself into the 9mm since the ammo is less and would probably target practice more, more rounds shot = more proficient with the gun.
To me it doesn't matter how big the gun if you can't hit your target.

That being said, i do like the thought of the .45, definitely a proven weapon.

I know i could go to the .40 cal as well.

What do you think? Which one do you own? Am i missing something?

Thanks!

Replies

• rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Welcome to the party Moose.
    I nominate the 9mm as the greatest beneficiary of modern bullet designers. Once the FBI laid out a set of performance parameters the manufacturers had a goal to achieve. The advances in 9mm bullets relegate 40 S&W to something to have as a contingency to have for countering the huge purchases of ammo by Homeland insecurity and other potential tools of oppression. This of course only applies to your defense ammo.

As a newbie, pilgrim I would advise the 9mm for precisely the reasons you mention.

As for what I have: All of the above.

"The power of the United States has peaked. Oppression follows." Socionomics.net
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
  • moose13moose13 New Member Posts: 20 New Member
    rapier5316 wrote: »
    Welcome to the party Moose.
    I nominate the 9mm as the greatest beneficiary of modern bullet designers. Once the FBI laid out a set of performance parameters the manufacturers had a goal to achieve. The advances in 9mm bullets relegate 40 S&W to something to have as a contingency to have for countering the huge purchases of ammo by Homeland insecurity and other potential tools of oppression. This of course only applies to your defense ammo.

As a newbie, pilgrim I would advise the 9mm for precisely the reasons you mention.

As for what I have: All of the above.

"The power of the United States has peaked. Oppression follows." Socionomics.net

Thanks for the reply!
    I should have stated a newbee to this forum, not to gun owning and shooting.
    I own a S&W .357 revolver, .22 woodsman pistol and several different hunting rifles.
    I just think i would practice more with the 9mm as it is cheaper to shoot. But, still can't really let go of the .45
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Start with the 9mm since it's cheaper to practice with. If/when you feel there's no challenge to it anymore, then go get a .45 and learn to master that.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • ace7644ace7644 Member Posts: 55 Member
    sounds to me like you really want the .45! If you end up getting the 9mm only to buy a .45 because that's what you wanted in the first place, it kinda wipes out the money you saved on ammo doesn't it?
  • rapier5316rapier5316 Member Posts: 312 Member
    Do you have access to a range that has rentals?
    What is the predominate Law Enforcement round in your area?
    You have half of the top two fight stopping rounds in your S&W. The .45 is the other half.

Buy soon and stock up on magazines.
    "The power of the United States has peaked, oppression follows." Robert Prector, Socionomics.net
    All good points, my Dad has both a 9mm Glock and a .45 Kimber.
    These are the two i shot in trying to decide what to get. He also does reloading. Not sure what dies he has, might cut down the cost difference if i went with the .45
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    If you choose the .45, invest in a lead melting pot and a set of Lee molds. That, plus an 8-lb. canister of Unique will keep you in plinking ammo for a long time. Of course, all your neighbors will wonder why their wheels get out of balance so often!
    Jerry
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum moose. The solution to your problem is quite simple really. Get both! Use the .45 at home since you only need it to fight your way to your shotgun or AR. I'd suggest a pistol with a rail so you can mount a light on it. Obviously you'll need a light on your long gun(s).
    While on the street you'll only have your pistol so go with the higher capacity of the 9mm.

There has been a serious lack of enabling going on around here lately.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Welcome, Moose. As others have pointed out, with modern bullet design there's but a hair's difference between 9mm hollowpoints and .45 hollowpoints. I carry both, depending on circumstance and weather (it gets pretty sticky and humid in the DC area in summer), and have no qualms about either.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Well, I prefer and carry a 45. The wife prefers and carries a 9mm.

So, I guess I have to recommend the 9mm.:tooth: I may not be the brightest bulb in the batch but I do have some wattage.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
    Done deal, went down to the local gun store and came home with the .45
    Merry Christmas to me, Sweet!
    moose13 wrote: »
    Done deal, went down to the local gun store and came home with the .45
    Merry Christmas to me, Sweet!

Conditional congratulations! But there is a $5.00 fine for no pictures. And we won't believe you until you do post pics.
    I am no bs'er

No pic = no gun huh? Haha

attachment.php?attachmentid=2855&d=1356141809
    I do have a stupid question though, as i have never bought a brand new gun. What are the two fired brass in the envelope for?
    Proof it was test fired?
    moose13 wrote: »
    I do have a stupid question though, as i have never bought a brand new gun. What are the two fired brass in the envelope for?
    Proof it was test fired?

Required in some states.

That can't be a 45. It's not steel and wood and designed by JMB. Just kidding ya.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    Congrats! You suck! :tooth:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Jeeper wrote: »
    Congrats! You suck! :tooth:

Luis

Hahaha, thank You
    knitepoet wrote: »
    No worries, and I wasn't accusing you of trying to BS us.
    Those are just the rules and figured I'd point it out to you politely before some of the other members did so not so politely :beer:

Oh, and :yousuck:

:tooth:

Understood! I like this place already!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,326 Senior Member
    Ahh. . .the old 9mm, .40, and .45 discussion. Yes, we have done this a lot, but no worries - we're all about education here.

Energy transfer, punch, knockdown, etc. . . When it comes to duty caliber handguns, such terms are pretty much meaningless and marketing-department driven. The recoil your hand feels is the impact your target gets, and that's all there is to that subject.

You need to put the round in the right place. That's the most important thing.

Once you have that accomplished, the round needs to penetrate deeply enough to strike major arteries and/or nerve clusters.

ONLY after you have those first two items achieved does diameter of the hole you make start to matter.

The way I look at it:

When you get realistic about the amount of money and time that can be spent practicing, and set the macho/ego factor aside, most folks are going to shoot a 9mm better. More practice for the money and less flinching = better shot placement.

If you choose the ammo correctly, lack of penetration is not an issue with any of the three rounds. When you look at how they do in "official" FBI spec Jell-O tests, this is basically a three way tie.

Which brings us to diameter. The bigger the hole, the faster the bleed out, but keep in mind the difference between an expanded 9mm and an expanded 45 is only going to be about 0.2 to 0.3 inch.

So strictly in the area of terminal performance, the .45 has a very slight edge in causing rapid leakage, but in terms of interfacing with the average shooter, the 9mm is more likely to allow that leakage to be from someplace where it will be most effective.

As to the guns, both Glocks are good, but unless you are a center in the NBA, the 9mm will probably fit your hand better.

The .40? One of those compromises that I feel is better in theory than practice. No advantage in terminal ballistics, but harder on guns and hands than either the 9mm or .40 thanks to high chamber pressures.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »

As to the guns, both Glocks are good, but unless you are a center in the NBA, the 9mm will probably fit your hand better.

Well said!
    I am not a center in the NBA, but I definitely am a bigger boy, 6'4 350. I thought about size and recoil. But when i shot the two i really did not notice the difference. I also looked into the dies for reloading, no big deal to get into, i think i will end up going that route making target shooting easier on the wallet.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Note: If reloading using cast bullet as Teach mentioned, look into an aftermarket conventionally rifled barrel like from Lone Wolf. If reloading using conventional copper jacketed bullet....they'll do fine in the polygonal rifled barrels of Glocks.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Good choice for a self defense pistol. :up:

I have 9mm's and one 40 S&W, and I believe all the arguments in favor of the 9mm, and would be completely confident that it would do the job, should the need arise to fire in self defense.

But, I love shooting the .45, and it is usually my choice for practicing at the range. So naturally, it is also what I usually choose for self defense preparedness.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Congrats on the new Glock,she will give you years of good service.
    Oh yea,Welcome to the forum!
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,126 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.

Man up, get the .45.
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    NN wrote: »
    Welcome aboard.

Man up, get the .45.

Don't really like this. Implies something. My bro has be LEO for 20 years and uses 9mm exclusively, his preference. Nobody on the force would even dare to tell him to "man up".
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    You've got to realize NN's not just a Marine, but an ooooooooooooold Marine. For him, the 9mm is like the .36 caliber 1851 Navy Colts he was first issued when he joined the Corps. He's much more enamored with the .45 Colt that was in the Single Action Army they upgraded him to.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • rootbrainrootbrain Member Posts: 75 Member
    You've got to realize NN's not just a Marine, but an ooooooooooooold Marine. For him, the 9mm is like the .36 caliber 1851 Navy Colts he was first issued when he joined the Corps. He's much more enamored with the .45 Colt that was in the Single Action Army they upgraded him to.

Ahhh, now I understand...:tooth: I saw the jarhead logo, just didn't realize....:usa:
  • ChuckXXChuckXX Banned Posts: 103 Member
    Moose13; Go to your local gunshop and take a look at a "Glock model 19". Be sure and look at the Gen4 version. I think you will like what you see. I have owned 5 9mm's for years now and all the guys on this board know I love my 5 9's. You really can't go wrong with the Glock model 19. I do own also 2 Sigs and 2 CZ's but I think you said something about keeping it affordable so go with the Glock. My 2 Sigs were well over a thousand dollars each. Great pistols but very expensive. Good Luck.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    rootbrain wrote: »
    Don't really like this. Implies something. My bro has be LEO for 20 years and uses 9mm exclusively, his preference. Nobody on the force would even dare to tell him to "man up".

He doesn't own a 270 does he? If so, the original statement stands :jester:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,877 Senior Member
    Funny thing is, NN carries the handgun equivalent of a .270: the .327 Magnum...
    I'm just here for snark.