Home Main Category Hunting

Use of Semi-Automatic Weapons for Hunting (Cross-Posted With Hunting)

jamesbanksjamesbanks New MemberPosts: 2 New Member
Recently, I wrote a piece on PolicyMic about why using semi-automatic rifles for hunting makes sense, in spite of the media saying that "You don't need these weapons for hunting." You can read the article here: http://www.policymic.com/articles/21133/assault-weapons-ban-3-myths-that-cloud-the-issue

I want to hear from semi-automatic weapon owners who have used them for hunting game. What are some situations in which using a semi-auto rifle was superior to the conventional bolt, lever or pump action for hunting game? Has anyone on this forum ever hunted a wild boar or gray wolf?

Replies

  • jamesbanksjamesbanks New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Recently, I wrote a piece on PolicyMic about why using semi-automatic rifles for hunting makes sense, in spite of the media saying that "You don't need these weapons for hunting." You can read the article here: http://www.policymic.com/articles/21133/assault-weapons-ban-3-myths-that-cloud-the-issue

    I want to hear from semi-automatic weapon owners who have used them for hunting game. What are some situations in which using a semi-auto rifle was superior to the conventional bolt, lever or pump action for hunting game? Has anyone on this forum ever hunted a wild boar or gray wolf?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Your article is full of half-baked ideas and downright misinformation. I can see the advantages of having a magazine with 20, or even 30 round capacity in pest eradication situations like feral hog hunting, but where in the world did you get the idea that a javelina, which is about the size of a border collie, needs a 3-round burst from a .223? Wolves are alpha predators, and anyone who hunts one should show a little more respect for his quarry than a "spray and pray" approach. BTW, that capability is only available on military rifles, as it violates the "one shot per trigger pull" criteria that defines a semi-auto weapon. The shooter at Clackamas, and the nutcase who did the Aurora shootings were both using gimmick 100-round magazines that most of us here refer to as "jam-o-matics".

    Putting local authorities in charge of deciding who gets to purchase a gun is a slippery slope that is bound to result in the sort of draconian regulations that have just been overturned by court action in Washington DC and Chicago. Don't do us any more favors by proposing such ridiculous ideas. You're definitely part of the problem, not part of the solution. Do your homework a little better before you publish another article, please.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I don't mean to be unnecessarily critical, but if you'll stick around here and listen to some knowledgeable people, your next article might be based on a lot more correct information.
    Jerry
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I hunt with AR style rifles, lately, because I like them, and they are as accurate as my bolt action rifles. I usually fire from 1 to 3 shots during a deer hunting season, so I don't need a semiautomatic. But I consider that completely beside the point.

    I am a law-abiding citizen with a constitutionally protected right to own the firearms of my choosing, and as long as I don't commit a crime, what I do is none of the government's business. The first principle that politicians need to re-learn is that the individual is responsible for his own actions, period. If the individual commits a crime of violence, it is of little consequence what implement of destruction he chooses to accomplish what he sets out to do. A politician's first answer to every criminal act should not be to look for a way to restrict the rights of law abiding citizens. No 'institution,' least of all the United States Congress, can (nor should it try to) anticipate all the possible ways a human being can be injured or killed, and write preventive legislation.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    jamesbanks wrote: »
    Recently, I wrote a piece on PolicyMic about why using semi-automatic rifles for hunting makes sense, in spite of the media saying that "You don't need these weapons for hunting." You can read the article here: http://www.policymic.com/articles/21133/assault-weapons-ban-3-myths-that-cloud-the-issue

    I want to hear from semi-automatic weapon owners who have used them for hunting game. What are some situations in which using a semi-auto rifle was superior to the conventional bolt, lever or pump action for hunting game? Has anyone on this forum ever hunted a wild boar or gray wolf?

    For small game and varmint hunting like you see with prairie dogs, a small caliber semi-auto (like a .223) with moderate to large capacity magazines is perfect for the high volume of targets you typically get. This is especially true when you are dealing with dumb ones that show up a closer ranges.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,060 Senior Member
    Welcome aboard.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,872 Senior Member
    I use AR platforms for hunting regularly....an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC is my preferred deer rifle, it's light (allowing an old man to continue spot & stalk hunting), it's accurate and every deer I have shot with it has expired quickly and humanely - with one shot. Last year, with a shortened deer season, I filled both my tags within seconds, Two well placed shots, two dead deer.

    I also use an AR in .223 as a "truck gun"that goes with me for predator control on the ranch.....coyotes often show up in groups and a semi-auto works well in keeping their numbers in check. Actually, the AR has pretty much replaced the classic lever-gun as the common utility rifle west of the Mississippi....I've even seen them in saddle scabbards hanging on horses....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    :agree: with Teach. Too much misinformation there. And I don't agree with letting a community decide who can exercise
    a Constitutional RIGHT! Just to get things straight here, the Bill of Rights, or the 10 Amendments to the Constitution, recognize rights that preexisted the Constitution and are inviolate. That kind of stink might fly in a Democracy, but not in a Republic with a Constitution.

    The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution both borrow heavily from Natural Law. The language in both is unmistakeable.

    As to hunting with a semi auto rifle, I've hunted with them in .308 Winchester and .30-06. I didn't carry either for a fast followup shot. A pump or bolt action rifle can be easily operated while bringing them back on target from recoil to fire a followup shot if one is needed and is not that much slower to fire if accuracy of shot placement is taken into account, as it should be.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I don't particularly care to hunt with a semi-automatic rifle, and have never felt the need for using one. The only semi-automatic rifles I have that are suitable for hunting are chambered in .22 RF, and that's mostly because the semis are so much cheaper than a good bolt action .22. However, that being said, I don't see any reason why a semi doesn't make a good hunting platform, and have no objections to those who use them.

    My preferred rifles are bolt actions and levers.

    Welcome aboard.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I agree with Teach regarding your comment about encountering a javelina. I've killed several, and they're not that hard to kill. A big boar will go about 40 lbs. and will run away from you if given the chance. I'd rather put one well placed shot from a single shot rifle than depend on getting off 3 or 4 hasty shots from a semi. I would pull that statement if I were you. Anyone who has hunted or killed one of these knows better.

    I have no disagreement with those who want to hunt with some flavor of semi-automatic. It's not for me, though, and I prefer a bolt action or a lever. I've experienced jams that kept me from getting off a quick second shot, but I don't recall such a jam ever preventing me from making a shot. The elk in my avatar was taken on a second shot after missing the first, and having to quickly clear a jam. Fortunately, it stuck around long enough for me to do that.

    As you can see, all of my comments have to do with the use of semis in a hunting situation. That's because that's how I most often use a gun. For non-hunting situations, I hope I never feel the need for a rifle that will spit out a lot of lead in short order, but hope I have such a firearm if ever that need arises. Regardless, as has been already stated, this is a constitutional issue, not one of need.

    I've already posted to your thread in the hunting forum, and extended a welcome. I hope you stick around and become a regular. Differing points of view are a good thing.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,639 Senior Member
    I've merged the two threads. Cross posting between boards is not allowed.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • tigman.uktigman.uk Member Posts: 332 Member
    im going to freely admit, i havent read the article - yet, its on the next tab on my screen, going by the above comments, if you require 2 or 3 rapid fire shots from a semi auto rifle into an animal to kill it, then you are using the wrong calibre firearm and its not a clean kill
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,320 Senior Member
    tigman.uk wrote: »
    im going to freely admit, i havent read the article - yet, its on the next tab on my screen, going by the above comments, if you are hunting and require 2 or 3 rapid fire shots from a semi auto rifle into an animal to kill it, then you are using the wrong calibre firearm and its not a clean kill


    Had to add that tigman. Reason is that if I am doing a CULL where the object is to put as many animals down as quickly as possible I will choose something like an SKS due to its capacity etc. Often its a case of getting lead into as many as possible before they disperse. Mopping up those that didnt fall DRT comes after the initial volley..........but thats culling not hunting. A single placed shot into the vitals is what all hunters should strive for when hunting not , as you say, "2 or 3 rapid fire shots from a semi auto"...........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tigman.uktigman.uk Member Posts: 332 Member
    The best place to start is giving control back to communities. This doesn’t mean that communities should be free to decide what guns people will be allowed to own; it means that they should be able to decide what people should be allowed to own guns.
    In practice, this system might mean that authorities could require individuals to get an endorsement of their firearm purchases from a family member or friend (who would then share some responsibility for the purchaser’s use of the weapon). The system might also require that several endorsements would be necessary for the purchase of more dangerous weapons.

    and how would this happen for someone who has moved to a new area either from another state or another country - surely 3 months isnt enough time to really get to know someone - i believe it is 3 months for a legal immigrant to purchase a firearm with the valid id to prove they can
    in the UK where im from, my firearms licence has to be renewed every 5 years, my last renewal i used my landlord and my brother in law (well my sister in laws husband to be more accurate) even then i had to get advice from my licensing authority as a reference cannot be a family member, as he is technically and legally not, i could, also the nuclear physicist bit helped

    i dont get on with some of my neighbours and surely i wouldnt need permission from them for the choices i want to make
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,216 Senior Member
    I will say that James's article is much better than the one he wrote a few days ago...
    http://www.policymic.com/articles/20895/an-argument-for-fewer-guns-from-a-proud-gun-owner
    The way I understand this is that you are doing this as an internship for college credit and are assigned the subject matter on an on call basis by the editors. Just so you know, we are the "gun nuts" that you referenced in your earlier article. Personal safety is the reason why we have a 2nd Amendment. It has nothing to do with hunting or recreational shooting.

    Self preservation is a natural law and part of the human condition. Self preservation includes the right to protect one's self. Firearms are terrific tools to do just that. The simple fact that I am a living being grants me the right to self defense-- not permission from a government or a community. All our 2nd Amendment does is acknowledge what has existed since the first living things existed on this Earth.

    This is a fundamental point that you really need to understand. To casually discount the natural law of self defense is to deny our humanity.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Yup, much better written than 98% of the articles out there. Jerry, I think you may have misread his section on hunting with an AR15. He was quoting another author...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    While I was on the site I also read this article:

    http://www.policymic.com/articles/21294/why-i-m-giving-up-my-nra-membership

    And read this:

    "Furthermore his “researchers” dug up some obscure game (if it actually exists) no one has ever heard of called “Kindergarden Killers” that is somewhere online so he could look emotional and caring. LePierre is probably too dense to realize he just advertised this game no one has ever heard of to millions of people, many of whom will download it out of spite."

    I bolded the type in the above. First off the game is called "Kindergarten Killer" and it does exist at this site:

    http://freegames.thetechherald.com/onlinegames/3933/kindergarten-killer.html

    Took me all of 30 seconds to find it. The fact that the 'journalist' didn't even bother to find out if the game existed or not is slovenly journalism at it's worst. He implied that a lie was told when in fact HE was lying. Yellow journalism at its finest. And some of the games on that website are downright creepy.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,855 Senior Member
    Don't play their game. Defining a 'need' has nothing to do with the right to keep and bear arms. If you let them frame the conversation, they are 90% of the way to beating you.

    Why do I have the right to own any kind of weapon I want to? Because "Shall Not Be Infringed"
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    jamesbanks wrote: »
    Recently, I wrote a piece on PolicyMic about why using semi-automatic rifles for hunting makes sense, in spite of the media saying that "You don't need these weapons for hunting." You can read the article here: http://www.policymic.com/articles/21133/assault-weapons-ban-3-myths-that-cloud-the-issue

    I want to hear from semi-automatic weapon owners who have used them for hunting game. What are some situations in which using a semi-auto rifle was superior to the conventional bolt, lever or pump action for hunting game? Has anyone on this forum ever hunted a wild boar or gray wolf?

    I shoot wild hogs whenever the opportunity presents itself. We don't have wolves around here, not four legged ones anyway, but we do have coyotes. I killed two last night... with my car..... LOL!!! No joke! They ran right out in front of me when I was going home from hunting. I've been seeing dead ones on the road side all deer season in that area and last night two came right out of nowhere and I didn't have time to swerve. They were pretty big and my wife thought they were big dogs, LOL!!! But they were coyotes.

    As for not needing Semi Auto firearms for hunting, I have used them and in certain situations they are fine. To say you absolutely need them may be a stretch, but the people telling us we don't need them probably have never been hunting in their lives and have no clue what is needed.

    I like the idea of a quick follow up shot in certain situations. The .223 is getting popular for deer down here and many people like to use their ARs for deer. The AR has that advantage. But please, Not Spray and Pray. A follow up shot is much different than just firing indiscriminately. Be careful of the Ammunition you give the Anti Gunners. Think before you speak.
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I use AR platforms for hunting regularly....an AR chambered in 6.8 SPC is my preferred deer rifle, it's light (allowing an old man to continue spot & stalk hunting), it's accurate and every deer I have shot with it has expired quickly and humanely - with one shot. Last year, with a shortened deer season, I filled both my tags within seconds, Two well placed shots, two dead deer.

    I also use an AR in .223 as a "truck gun"that goes with me for predator control on the ranch.....coyotes often show up in groups and a semi-auto works well in keeping their numbers in check. Actually, the AR has pretty much replaced the classic lever-gun as the common utility rifle west of the Mississippi....I've even seen them in saddle scabbards hanging on horses....

    Jayhawker, do you know not what you say??? That's a .277 bullet you're talking about there. That's only adequate for Coyotes, not deer!!! :confused::popcorn::jester:
    I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Weeeellllll......there's this time I done killed me a deer.....and wouldn't you know it.......five other fellers came out of the woods all claimin' it was their kill. Needless to say.......the ensuing fire-fight was won by yer's truly because I held the advantage of higher magazine capacity and the ability to lay suppressive fire by nature of my semi-automatic "assault rifle"........:tooth:

    Get a grip man......I suppose people against semi-auto firearms are the same that would raise a fit because their hired construction project wasn't finished in a timely manner because the carpenters had to cut and hammer by hand because they weren't allowed use of a mechanical saw or a nail-gun. Now go ditch the microwave and warm up the stove to cook your Hot-Pocket.....:roll:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement