Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Houston gunstore owner receives death threat

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Jim Pruett, owner of Pruett's Guns and Ammo (I know Jim and buy my guns and stuff from his store), received a mailed death threat:

"Live by the gun, die by the gun. You will not live to see Easter."

Pruett takes the threat seriously and has turned the letter over to the police. It will probably go to homeland security (using US Mail to threaten is a federal felony).

Pruett's a first class guy and his store is one of the best run and most patriotic I've ever been to. Not the cheapest (yet competitive) but it's worth the extra you pay for the quality of service and knowing you're supporting your local folks.

Here's the story link:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Local-gun-store-owner-receives-death-threat-4140994.php

and a link to Pruett's site:

http://houstongundealer.com/

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Probably not a good idea to threaten a gun store owner in Houston.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    The irony of the hypocrisy of the liberal agenda never ceases to amaze me. They would advocate unsubstantiated retaliatory violence yet preach for peace. They are the sickest people alive.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    The irony of the hypocrisy of the liberal agenda never ceases to amaze me. They would advocate unsubstantiated retaliatory violence yet preach for peace. They are the sickest people alive.

Besides the death threat in general, the mention of Easter is pretty crass. Why would Easter be an important date for a murderer?
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,773 Senior Member

Mirrors what I was going to say.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,444 Senior Member
    Good article. And it sounds like he and his staff are on the alert all the time, so at least he can watch for the unexpected. Hope they catch the writer of the letter and send them to a high security federal prison for some quality rest and relaxation.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    Besides the death threat in general, the mention of Easter is pretty crass. Why would Easter be an important date for a murderer?

Agreed. But for the sickos, nothing is logical, so...
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    tennmike wrote: »
    Good article. etc.

Yes, I was surprised to see a neutral (or even sympathetic) article in a newspaper. Jim Pruett is one of the good guys -- has his pro-2A radio talk show too. He's the go-to guy here for info on gun laws and such, and he's smart enough to work with the media in a positive way.

Hopefully the jerk who wrote the threat will find, as you say, some quality paid vacation time. Or he could just walk into Pruett's store... ha ha. Like many gun stores, all the staff are armed and most of the customers, too.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Has anyone ever robbed a gun store? Just wondering. :nono: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Yup, it does happen. There was a guy who drove a car through the wall a few months ago...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member

Agreed. But since they do not believe in guns, what are they going to do? Beat him to death with an opinion? :tooth:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,301 Senior Member
    Ahhhh, the hypocrisy of the liberal mindset:silly:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,780 Senior Member
    Fat Billy wrote: »
    Gun stores have been robbed of their guns in NC and there were two pawn/gun stores from the
    same company that had the workers shot execution style, also.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member

Break in at night and clean up? Twice that I know of here in Puerto Rico. For a short spell they robbed folks coming out of an indoor range at night, got so bad that when folks left on the way to their cars they did so in groups all with a loaded gun at hand. That stopped that. Some guy robbed a pricey car parked in front on an LGS, this was some time ago, most folks came out and shot at him, they missed him but filled the Mercedes full of holes.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • KENFU1911KENFU1911 Senior Member Posts: 1,052 Senior Member

Ummm...yes...and it's not fun...........
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    bruchi wrote: »
    Break in at night and clean up? .
    or come in with enough guys and guns that a small shop don't have enough armed employees o handle it..........................
    My idea of a warning shot is when the 2nd bad guy watches his 1st buddy go down....
    cpj wrote: »
    So you robbed a gun store?

You folks in Moldavia have short memories.............:jester:
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Dude best be on his guard or some birkenstock wearing proggie my take a swing at him with his man purse.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,029 Senior Member
    There have been several ATTEMPTS to rob gun stores during business that didn't turn out well for the robbers.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    ATTEMPTS is the word I left out of my post about robbing a gun store. People that do usually gain weight from injesting metal objects that measure 125 to 230 grains each fairly rapidly. :guns: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    a LGS in Nashville had a rack of rental guns for use at their indoor range. There was a big public housing project about a mile away. One day a gangbanger with all the required accessories- - - -dreadlocks, saggy pants, prison tats, gold grill, etc. came in and wanted to rent a Glock 9MM. The counterman asked if he was an annual-fee range member, or if he wanted a one-day pass. "I don' wanna shoot on the range- - - - -I just wanna rent that nine for a couple hours!" Needless to say, they didn't go for that transaction!
    Jerry
  • ApexxApexx Member Posts: 111 Member

Pruett's a first class guy and his store is one of the best run and most patriotic I've ever been to. Not the cheapest (yet competitive) but it's worth the extra you pay for the quality of service and knowing you're supporting your local folks.

Here's the story link:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Local-gun-store-owner-receives-death-threat-4140994.php

and a link to Pruett's site:

http://houstongundealer.com/

How long have you lived in Houston? Apparently you weren't around or don't remember Pruett from his radio days. "First Class" wouldn't be something you describe one of the pioneers of shock jock raunch. I'm sure he loves his country, but the guy is a pretty big personality and I would be willing to bet he has stepped on more than enough toes over the years. Wouldn't be all that surprised if it was some sort of publicity act either. At the end of the day he is not your typcially LGS owner. He had/has made a career off of being controversial. Again would not be suprised if he stepped on someones toes or is pulling something to get his name in the news.

As far as his store goes pretty good selection, but high prices (not competative). Have seen Glock Gen 4 prices $625 and up in his store. Can go down the street and buy the same Glock from Academy for $100 less. Not against a guy making a buck, but call as spade a spade. He is like many LGS that over price their stuff and make money off the ignorant.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,780 Senior Member
    Well then, if the police are up to their job, we should be reading
    about him in court.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Apexx wrote: »
    How long have you lived in Houston? etc.

Twice, from 74-84 then 91-present. Years. And I've known Jim Pruett for a long time. He's not a close friend but an acquaintance, and yes I do know his radio reputation -- he still does a radio show. Pruett's a strong conservative w. strong 2A beliefs and he has often stirred up anti-gun people with what he says. Good for him. I'm fine with what Jim Pruett says.

Anyone who doubts Jim Pruett, just glance thru his website, and then tell me if this guy is a nutjob or a genuine 2A supporter.

I've known Jim Pruett for years, as I say. And I already SAID that his GS may charge a bit more for guns, and some of us are willing to pay, oh 20 bucks more for a nice pistol, knowing the money goes to very well paid staff and to maintain a large inventory of guns and accessories. Pruett's is the sort of gunstore that anyone would like. It's a REAL gunstore, not some row of counters in a sporting goods megaplex.

And oh yeah, I bought a new Springfield XDM in .45acp from him when no other store in Houston had them in stock. I was also told extravagant possible prices for that model "when and if it arrived" by another store, but Pruett had them, and the price was fair.

You go to Pruett's, like when I took my girlfriend shopping for her Valentine's present. The staff took plenty of time to bring her several pistols and discuss the pros and cons, let her handle them, very patient and friendly. The staff knew their stuff and were helpful. That's why we went to Pruett's instead of buying from some pimplyface boy in Academy.

Among gun owners here in Houston, Collectors Firearms and Pruett have the top reputations. Both are good.

If you've got knowledge that Pruett sent this death threat to himself, you should contact the police with that info. I'm sure that they will be pleased to close the investigation promptly on your evidence. So will the Feds when you contact them with your proof.

Otherwise, you're making an accusation that's very much off base and could be actionable. Mailed death threats are a felony, and a federal crime. If Jim Pruett did this himself, as you accuse, he's in serious trouble. You need to come forward with your evidence to assist the police on this one, pal. Otherwise you might consider retracting your statement to that effect. It's one thing to say Pruett's prices are higher but quite another to imply that he's complicit in this death threat "scam".
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member

My LGS was robbed in a smash & grab a few years ago; clown backed his pickup right thru the front of the store and grabbed a half-dozen or so pistols out of the display case. They've hardened the store since then, but what was funny in retrospect was that he got maybe $2.5k worth of pistols from the case and completely ignored the $25k in black rifles hanging on the wall three feet away...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Dude you need some reading comprehension work. I didn't make an accusation. I said that I would not be "surprised" if it was a publicity stunt. That doesn't mean I am accusing him of it. I'm stating that I would not be "surprised" if he did. I also would not be "surprised" if he pissed someone off. Seldom are threats like that made out of the clear blue by random people.

You want to pay a premium to buy from him that's your business. I'm just saying he is significantly higher than other sources in the immediate area on most items I have seen. Would you say $625 for a gen 4 glock 19 is a good price when you can buy it from a few other places in the immediate area for $525 or less? I wouldn't. But then I'm not interested in paying the premium for his big new shop. Just me. I bought the glock 19 from a guy about 4 miles away from Pruitt that has a space he rents that is about 1/4 the size of Pruits to keep his prices low. He had the same price as Academy. I bought from him to support the local guy. I would be willing to bet he is pretty patriotic, but I can't really tell by just looking at folks and talking to them for 10 minutes. Just because someone talks a big game when trying to sell you a gun doesn't mean they are more or less patriotic than someone who doesn't have a radio show.

In my book it takes more than being a conservative 2nd amendment guy to be considered "a first class guy". In the end arn't all gun shop owners by nature "conservative 2nd amendment guys"? Would that then make all gun shop owner "first class guys" in your book? Regardless of what kind of husband or father they are? I don't think so.

You sure seem defensive for the guy. Also posted link to his site. You you just a customer?
    I'm defending Pruett simply because I'm an acquaintance of his, and his staff has been extremely helpful to anyone whom I've brought to the store. I've got zero, repeat zero involvement in his business.

If I'm certain the pistol I want, I usually go to the gun show (in Texas, large gunshows have generally the lowest prices for new firearms). I check the large tables and can maybe save 15 bucks depending, maybe another 10 bucks if I pay cash.

But when my girlfriend wanted a 9mm for concealed carry I took her to Pruett's because the staff took plenty of time to show her various models and brands, discuss with her, were very helpful. That, to me, was worth paying a few bucks more, to get the service.

We all do that from time to time. We find maybe a car repair shop that does superb work, always fixes your problem, maybe charges more than Sears. Sometimes however if we're just buying a package of underwear, it doesn't matter.

I will say this: I've known Jim Pruett and his family long enough that I trust them. If they say a threat letter was received, it's the truth. And it's a federal crime.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Sam, don't waste your time- - - -you're sparring with a troll who usually hangs out on this part of the forum and nowhere else, and stirs the pot every chance he gets.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Sam, don't waste your time- - - -you're sparring with a troll who usually hangs out on this part of the forum and nowhere else, and stirs the pot every chance he gets.
    Jerry

Appreciate the response, Teach. I felt it was appropriate for me to reply to his inferences, then let it drop, which I shall. Facts remain, Jim Pruett is a standup guy and all the 2A folks in Houston know that. And no, I'm not on his payroll -- ha ha
    I will say this: I've known Jim Pruett and his family long enough that I trust them. If they say a threat letter was received, it's the truth. And it's a federal crime.

Nuff said. You want to defend your friend. I have no issue with that. Your friend wants to charge 20% premium for his stuff that's his business. More power to him. I was just pointing out his prices were significantly higher that others in the area. For me it sounds a bit fishy that this former radio shock jock gun store owner found it necessary to publicize a death threat. Apparently that qualifies me as a troll.:roll:
    Teach wrote: »
    Jerry

Teach,
    Do you have any first hand knowledge of the subject we are talking about? If not who are you to say which side is right and who is a troll? From what did you base the notion that I "hang out on this part of the forum and nowhere else, and stirs the pot EVERY chance he gets"? Why don't you go ahead and do a forum search for Apexx and determine if that is actually the case.
    Thanks