Home Main Category Hunting

I'm Playing Bow Hunter

snake284-1snake284-1 Senior MemberPosts: 2,500 Senior Member
I have 9 days left to get a big dominate buck at my lease. The season closes on Jan. 3, 2013. The better bucks have gotten really skittish and aren't showing their face around my blind during daylight. So I've started getting out of the blind and going back into the boonies.

I've had success at this before, but I am really excited about it on this lease because I have already seen some big bucks there. I bought some descenting spray and some descenting laundry soap AND I even bought a bottile of good buck lure, which works if they're in rut, but I like it because more than anything it masks my scent. Also I got some camo make up and even a mesh face shield. I have my lawn chair back at the brush line in a pocket of a big clearing where several deer trails lead back into the brush and oak motts where they live. I walked back down one trail there last week and saw where several deer had been lying around. This is back where "Rocket Deer" Ran out of the brush. There's some way bigger than him in there.

I also bought a couple roles of camo tape and taped everything shiney on my rifles I plan to use, my .270, .250 Savage, .257 Roberts AI and my 8x57 Mauser. My 06 is a Remington SPS and doesn't need camoflaging. However, two of my builds have SS barrels and all my sporterized Mausers have polished bolts. And one or two of my blued guns have shiney Blued barrels. I taped everything up that was shiney with the camo tape and they look very nice but above all very steathy. I'm about to the point where I draw names to select a rifle. Most of what I have will work fine so I'm not real picky. What I use depends on what I feel like on a particular day.

So, what do y'all think about playing like a Bow Hunter, but hunting with a Rifle?
I'm Just a Radical Right Wing Nutt Job, Trying to Help Save My Country!

Replies

• snake284-1snake284-1 Senior Member Posts: 2,500 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan.
    the deer whiz works best if you rub some behind your ears.

Yeah Right, LOL!!! I don't want to lure them quite that close... They tend to get rather Amorous or so I'm told.
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    I just want to see a pic of you dressed as a camo ninja
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Sounds like a plan.
    the deer whiz works best if you rub some behind your ears.
    It actually works best if you soak your underwear in it the night before the hunt.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Don't forget the green tights. Welcome to Sherwood!
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    TIGHT tights!
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
    He's old. His britches are already soaked in urine. :tooth:

Hey cpeej don't be tellin my secrets on here! I do know about pampers ya know!!!
    Actually, what I do and have done for the last 40 years is put 4 or 5 cotton balls in a zip lock and pour in a little buck estrogen and shake it around til the cotton is more or less soaked. Then when I walk to where I'm going to sit, I drop one every 10 feet or so. When I get done hunting I pick em back up and put them in the Zip Lock ready for the next time. I will also pour a little more estrogen in the zip lock when I go out again.

If It's not rut time, I use either fresh garlic or Skunk Scent if I can find it to mask my smell. Garlic grows wild down here and is a natural scent block if there's enough of it, and skunks are abound here. These two are very natural scent blocks and believe me both work very well.
  • shootershooter Senior Member Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    I must know more about buck estrogen.

Hermaphrodites, more than likely!
    There's no such thing as having too much ammo, unless you're on fire or trying to swim!
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    Good luck. Probably eighty percent of the deer Ive taken were taken while I was on the ground. Though I don't really use too many masking scents. Whenever it's dry out there I collect leaves, sticks and some dirt and sprinkle it on my clothes before I put them back in the bag after the hunt. And will on occasion use a cover scent on my boots when they aren't rutting. During the rut I just thaw out some of the tarsul glands.

But, I do sometimes question the validity of the claims about these scents and the strength of the deer nose. There have been times when I was living in the south where we'd get a heat wave late in the season and all I'd be wearing is jeans a long shirt and cheap leafgear with no cover scents, no scent blocker, and had showered with my normal soaps and still went home with great animals. One time It was in the mid eighties and I was in the stand in a sports bra, shorts and leaf gear. An old dominant buck came right up below my stand from the back side (down wind) poked around a lil, then walked out in front of me.

Anyway. Its time for me to go start my own hunt.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
    I went out this morning and sat til 11 or so. Then went to the car and stopped at the Karankawa Bay store for coffee and a pastry. Then took off for Victoria, the back way. I had a flat tire half way. Got the tire changed with the help of a good semaritan and went on my way. I saw about 9 deer, some may have been the same ones, but no bucks. I guess I need to change Estrogen brands, :jester: