Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Newspaper Publishes Gun Owners' Names and Addresses

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,444 Senior Member
Somebody needs to share the names and addresses of the staff of the newspaper.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/newspaper-publishes-gun-owners-names-addresses-215214269--abc-news-topstories.html

A newspaper in New York has received a wave of criticism from its readers after publishing the names and addresses of all of the individuals with handgun or pistol permits in its coverage area.

Hundreds of residents in New York's Westchester and Rockland counties were surprised to find their names and addresses listed on a map posted by The Journal News on Sunday. Users can click any dot on the map to see which of their neighbors has a permit for a gun.

The map sparked more than 500 comments from readers within a day of its appearance on the website, many of them voicing outrage at the paper's decision to make the information public.
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Someone should sue the paper, but the grounds are weak under the Freedom of Information Act. What New York should do, is make firearm permit information a sealed record.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    They did that here a while back, not our regular state-wide daily but a far lefty loony Al Quiada sympathizing, blame America firster weekly rag. IMHO it was just to garner attention and thereby increase circulation.
    IMHO the non permittees should be the ones pissed 'cause now the BGs know who's packin' and who ain't. At least officially. I do like the idea of publishing the employees of the paper addresses. Or at least the publisher, editors, etc.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
    They should then publish the names and addresses of every member of the city and state government, and every police officer.....and see how far that flys.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Publish my name and address. Show up to my house unwelcome, I'll be glad to show you that I do in fact have a gun...
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Hear, hear, Sir George! Anyone that tries to come in to my house without an invitation will receive an education.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    To bad I can't say that about the door to door solicitors.....even though the door is posted "no solicitation"......the only education I can give them is reading, righting, and 'rithmatic....
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    Local TV station here in central Florida did the same thing back in 2005. :angry::angry::angry:
  • GunnerK19GunnerK19 Senior Member Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    To bad I can't say that about the door to door solicitors.....even though the door is posted "no solicitation"......the only education I can give them is reading, righting, and 'rithmatic....

doorknockerwarning.jpg

:tooth:
    I'm a Conservative. How conservative? Only Alex P. Keaton has me beat.

Taurus 605 .357, Ruger .45 Vaquero, Colt frontier commemorative .22 SA, Pietta 1860 .44 snubnose
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,197 Senior Member
    Yep, not new. Cleveland Plain Dealer did the same thing years ago..
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    A couple of fellows on another message board that I look at have already done this, Mike! Entire newspaper board of directors and corporate officials. Addressess, phone numbers-home and cell- email addressess, the works! Next move is to publish the same for every subscriber to the paper!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,780 Senior Member
    A couple of fellows on another message board that I look at have already done this, Mike! Entire newspaper board of directors and corporate officials. Addressess, phone numbers-home and cell- email addressess, the works! Next move is to publish the same for every subscriber to the paper!

What's the deal with the subscribers?

There some places such as here, that if you do not get the newspaper, you would miss
    a lot of important news and announcements as well as what the politicians are trying to
    do to waist money. New laws and the list goes on and on.

The TV news cannot be relied on for all items that a person needs to know.

Besides when Clean is reading the paper she isn't talking.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Subscribers....probably nothing more than a type of revenge thinking that if the subscribers received calls, emails also, pressure would be brought to bare on the newspaper possibly with canceled subscriptions. But.....think about it a second. With thousands of subscribers isn't it a little difficultand unrealistic to compile and cite all that info?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It would be more effective, and less difficult, to publish their advertisers' personal information. That might make those folks rethink buying ad copy from the paper.
    Jerry
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    Oops, did I just publish that? uploadfromtaptalk1356560293152.jpg
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,247 Senior Member
    Here are all the names, addresses, pictures of the homes, and even some interior pics of houses:

http://christopherfountain.wordpress.com/2012/12/24/sauce-for-the-goose/

It's all public record...
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov