Christmas dinner, whatcha cooking?

SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior MemberPosts: 5,458 Senior Member
It is a quarter to one now, I got to the station right at midnight. My shift doesn't start for another 7 hours, but this turkey ain't gonna smoke itself! I put it in a brine 18 hours ago, now it's all up to the products of combustion to make it delish. I also will be putting on a pork shoulder in a few hours. We got a guy bringing in a turkey that was done via inferred cooking and another bringing in a ham. Other side dishes will accumulate as well for our shift lunch. Then hopefully, if nobody tries to burn their house down while cooking, I will be eating some pillow sometime afterwards.

What is on your plate today?
Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
Wambli Ska wrote: »
I'm in love with a Glock

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,445 Senior Member
    Steaks marinated in Jack Daniels, and an obscene amount of desserts.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,379 Senior Member
    We will be having dinner at my mom's, and she makes the same thing as she does for Thanksgiving-- turkey, ham, and all the other stuff. For last night, I trimmed up a beef tenderloin, sliced out into one big piece about 1/4" thick, put down a layer of Parmesan and sliced portabella mushrooms, then rolled it up, and roasted it.

That was pretty good.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    The elk I killed this year....it reminds me so much of reindeer.... might even dig out the santa hat cause I'm a sick puppy like that :tooth:

Some green-bean casserole and mashed potatoes.....I envy you, I hate cooking for one and do much better cooking for a group.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I forgot to make a bacon explosion this time. Guess I'll have to make it Saturday when I'm smoking again. I'm borderline thinking about starting a business...
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Don't forget the bacon covered jalepeno poppers......if there's one irony to a firehouse, it's the bbq grill....:tooth:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    There is no such thing as a bbq grill. Do I need to post the song? :jester:
    I'm in love with a Glock
    But I understand what you mean. Shamelessly stolen from a friends Facebook (a local dept) uploadfromtaptalk1356417518785.jpg
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Please do, it's been awhile since I heard it.....Yeah, I know bbq grill is an oxymoron......:roll:
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Thank ya suh.....I needed that! :up: Even though I hate gettin' labled a Yankee!
    Thanks for the company. Gets lonely out here with nobody to talk to but the turkey... Chief should be up in an hour or two. Strange character that one is. Thinking about propping the door open and seeing if some of this smoke could set the alarm off. Borden is a bad thing...
    I'm in love with a Glock
    That makes me wonder......how do firemen react when their own alarm goes off? "what-everrrr" rolls over and goes back to sleep? BTW, no problem, having the last few days off has wonked my sleep schedule....
    We start by cursing the dispatch. Honestly, you know that's our address. There is no sense in toning it out like any other alarm. Call us on the phone or radio, we will let you know if our own house is on fire. When they tone it our like a normal call, I treat it like one. Starting by going en route. I take a leak then go on scene, walking outside and giving a 360 size up. Then take command and let them know we are making entry to investigate. Updating them every minute letting them know there is nothing going on.
    Of course I do this all from my recliner (except the taking a leak part). Sarcasm is alive and well in the fire service...
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Oh don't I know! I used to service the Federal Heights Fire and police stations. Did the firehouse first one day and they were grilling.....lotta smoke...you know where this is going.....went to the dispatch center and watched the call-out......of course there's a security camera on the firehouse right next door.......listening to the reports on the radio, I was trying hard not to bust out laughing, cause I could see the chief calling in the sit-rep while flipping burgers in his sweat pants....lmao!
    Oh, I'm usually spending the next hour justifying a 3 minute response time to the building we responded from. But it's so worth it.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    "well, it's like this.....we fixed the Hyper-Drive on the truck" lol! My "cousin" Mark is a fire chief in Houston, he comes up hunting with us.....he's full of good stories.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Back on topic! I baked a ham, with mashed taters & gravy, glazed carrots, hot rolls & butter, and washed it all down with a really nice Malbec.

Then eggnog while we opened presents; never even got around to the pecan pie...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    I love pecan pie. Definitely my favorite of the pie family.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Christmas a few hours early Larsen? Hey SirGeorge.....don't burn anything up, it's o' bed thirty for me.....Merry Christmas brother!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Wife's Mom came up today and we did our Christmas, then later this morning we'll go over to Dad's for my family Christmas. Kind of like a two-day Hanukkah, only different...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    RIb Roast, Bone in. Roasted garlic potatoes and broccoli with cherry cake for desert.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Dan, I like the way you roll.
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I've been invited to eat with some friends,so whatever they put on the table is good with me.
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    Ribeye steak with pepperjack and cheddar cheese. I forgot the mushrooms and peppers.:bang:
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
    I'm still cooking...
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    While we don't give presents for Yule, the twenty fifth is a day where we do a feast. So I'm doing roast goose, venison shoulder roast smoked with winter crops.
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,688 Senior Member
    Standing rib roast, harvest potatoes, fresh green beans and more deserts than we can eat. All to be followed by two fingers of Knob Creek Burbon.......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,137 Senior Member
    No little kids anymore, and lots of people on different schedules. So, imstead of a formal sit down, I smoke a beef roast and turkey breasts for sandwichs. People can come and go as they wish.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,270 Senior Member
    Nothing terribly complicated...Ham, Sweet potatoes, Cranberry relish.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"