I'm back

ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 BannedPosts: 2,645 Senior Member
Well so to speak. Been rough here lately and had spent a few nights on the streets and in my car which isn't fun when temps are dropping in the low 20's. Anyhow, back home (I guess,) and just going day to day. But what I'm really getting at with this post........ You all might recall where I started a previous post about my dad having lung cancer. Well they found out by biopsy that he isn't early stage 1, but late stage 3. He has also been informed that he has had emphazema and copd for at least the past 7 years. So what I'm getting at is that even if he does somehow beat this lung cancer, he will still suffer in his quality of life and require the oxygen that he is already on just to function. I've decided that I want to give him one of my lungs or at least a lobe "partial." I'm sure he will refuse and fight me tooth and nail, but I've already done the research, contacted a renowned Dr, and asked the necessary questions. If my dad agrees and our screening checks out, we get the green light. Of course, half the battle is getting him to accept this from me. Anybody here know of anybody that's gone through this or similar?

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,345 Senior Member
    Your willingness to make that sort of sacrifice is impressive, and I'm sure your Dad appreciates it. Now- - - - -think on this- - - - -if you found yourself in his situation, with not one, but three incurable, life-threatening conditions, and one of your children made the same offer, would you be inclined to accept? If he chooses to refuse your offer, which I feel he is very likely to do, try to put yourself in his shoes.

You also have a family- - - -while you're willing to possibly compromise your quality of life, or maybe even shorten your own lifespan to benefit your father, you are also a father, with responsibilities to be there for your own offspring. There has to be a balance in there somewhere, that you must try to find. Good luck, no matter what your decision ends up being.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,687 Senior Member
    prayers sent for both you and your dad. Teach said it well......Robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,940 Senior Member
    :angel2:
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Teach laid it wisely and correctly, you are in my prayers.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,684 Senior Member
    Teach laid it wisely and correctly, you are in my prayers.

Yeah. Not much to add to that.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    Teach, real wisdom.

Your first obligation is to your children, and they deserve a parent as long as the good Lord will let you be here. No matter what happens in your life, they deserve the best Mom and Dad they can have.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I understand and I've thought out all the possible risks too. Might sound like a bad idea and I'm extremely sure me dad wont agree to it since he fully accepts that smoking all his life was by his own free will. The thing you all might not have thought about though: My being diabetic since I was 2. Now that I'm older and have kids of my own, I realize just how much my parents did for me and the times they went without. They weren't able to be a "normal" husband and wife because I wasn't "normal." Wasn't my fault, and I know that, but I feel like this is my chance to say thank you.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Wasn't my fault, and I know that, but I feel like this is my chance to say thank you.

The sentiment is understood......now you have to understand what your dad is telling you..."you get busy livin' while I get busy dyin'".
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!