Aquarium talk.....disappearing fish!?

5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior MemberPosts: 3,923 Senior Member
Ok this is starting to baffle me......I have this 40 gal bow-front tank in my living room, and a couple months ago I noticed just about all the fish disappeared en masse. The only hold-outs have been the giant Danios and the Julidochromis marlieri (google that, they are a cool looking chiclid fish)....Gone AWOL are the albino kribs and a couple of aggressive pissants I got from MHS. Then a snail infestation popped up out of nowhere so I got a few clown loaches.....at a few bucks apiece, a small school doesn't come cheap......suddenly, they went AWOL too....no remains or floaters to indicate a sudden die-off, and the fish are regularly fed so they the passive ones shouldn't have gone postal on the aggressive species....so WTH!!??

Now in my Betta tank I had a male, but after introducing a couple of females, that boy's totally gone into hiding.....not that I really blame him....but I was hoping to produce a breeding pair....it's been a few weeks since I've seen him.

Gonna redo the large tank to see if the loaches just went into hiding, but they were pretty comfortable before with the numbers they had on their side.

Any explanation for the mass disappearances?
God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!

Replies

• EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    How do you get a snail infestation out of nowhere? Even well fed Danios do tend to be aggressive.

What type of flitration system do you have? Also, have you added any animals to your household?
    “Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Eturn wrote: »
    How do you get a snail infestation out of nowhere? Even well fed Danios do tend to be aggressive.

What type of flitration system do you have? Also, have you added any animals to your household?

On the snails.....I'm totally baffled....the tank with the pike chiclid I can see cause sometimes I change up his diet to live goldfish....and the snails come from the box pet store off the feeder fish......no live plants in either tank. I have to use a copper-kill cause natural means will just get eaten by Charlie......the community tank is isolated and doesn't even share a fishnet with the pike tank.

Filtration on both large tanks are vacuum-sponge filters along with powerheads for water movement. The community tank is triple-filtered with two sponges and a H.O.T. magnum.....and the pike tank is double filtered with a sponge and Fluval U2

No pet other than the fish. The Danios and Julies are wussies compared to the tank-mates they had before.....unless they went Jekyl n Hyde on me in the dark!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    MHS is the next step....he's Aqua-man. I try not to bother him.

You'd be surprised Chris.....I've had the Danios jump for freedom before, but it's so dry here they don't smell.....just turn into fish-jerky....but I've checked for that.....no one's gotten beyond the wire.

Stoners don't have that kind of motivation except for cultivation.....watching plants grow is akin to watching paint dry......pretty amusing if you have high grade stuff.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    If only you knew someone who was REALLY into fish, someone who had more fish than a pet store, you could ask them. :tooth:
    Maybe someone is breaking into your house, doing lewd things with the vegetables in your fridge and then stealing your fish and selling them for drug money. Pot is legal out there now, you know.

Thank you Detective Pierre, you've been most helpful. :roll2:
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    The wife probably hates fish and is flushing them while you sleep.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    That was loosely stolen from a customer from my old job.
    He was nuts.
    He told the salesman that people were breaking in, drinking his beer, moving his furniture, sleeping in his bed and rubbing their junk on his apples that he kept in the fridge.
    The salesman asked how he knew they were rubbing their junk on his fruit, he said " cause I can taste it".
    makes ya want to do it just to egg him on..
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    What's your cat been doing? Is it getting fatter? Just asking. :yikes: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,987 Senior Member
    So you sleep walk while eating fish.
    We did that in the 60's
    are you becoming your Dad?
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,778 Senior Member
    Are you sure you don't have a carnivorous fish in there somewhere?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,810 Senior Member
    :that:
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,733 Senior Member
    I had a small aquarium when I was a kid. My fish started disappearing, piece by piece, when I added a Black Molly to the mix. First, the angel fish lost all of their pointy fins, then, one day, they just weren't there, any more. So, I flushed the Black Molly, dumped the aquarium. and put a turtle in there.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,599 Senior Member
    These aren't silver dollars....

amazon-animals-piranha.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    I had four Red Bellys for a few years. Dinner guests like to watch 'em eat. Keeping their tank clean was a challenge. One died so they ate him, one jumped out of the tank and the other two became floaters for no reason. They were 5yrs old so that might be the answer. A gold fish never had a chance. I could reach in the tank to retrieve something but I never did it with a cut on my hand. They would cower in the corner but I didn't leave my hand in the tank for long though. Their teeth are awesome. :yikes: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    :uhm:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Haven't let any Japanese folks wander around your house lately have you? Mmmmmm, sashimi.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Any explanation for the mass disappearances?

Hole in glass?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    Bigger fish eat smaller fish....
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    :uhm:
    :that:
    bruchi wrote: »
    Bigger fish eat smaller fish....
    In this case, it's the bigger fish that have gone AWOL.....Julies' are territorial, but the others were WAY more aggressive.

No cat, no more wife......I got the fish cause they don't need petting, they stay home for the most part, and they keep their mouth shut. :tooth:
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    In this case, it's the bigger fish that have gone AWOL.:

Are the smaller fish related in any way to piranas?
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    Nope.....African chiclids......same temperment, but lacking the "larrrrrrge, sharp pointy teeth"
  • dlkdlk Member Posts: 419 Member
    Do they have smaaaaaall sharp pointy teeth?

Seriously if you have no pets and noone else in the house they had to have been eaten by the fish that remain.
    STEALTH COMPETENT

I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't look like it.
    Guess I'll just have to give them names then......Packer, Dahmer, and Gein! :tooth:
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Why don't you set up a camera ? I heard of one guy with that problem, a neighbors cat found a way in through a hole in the roof and snaked its way down to hole in the sheet-rock behind a fridge.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    No cat getting in Doc....either the little basterds are hiding REAL good......or they expired and got recycled through the natural course of events. The only thing that ticks me off is the clown loaches disappearing.....I need them for the snails.....and they ain't cheap.....that's almost 50 bucks gone AWOL. Granted I'm upset about the Albino Kribs....they were unique and I got them from MHS.....same for the pike.....they hold a sentimental value like SamW has for his cat RJ.

The pike is especially dear......he survived a year of neglect and pulled through.....I spoil that fish now....he earned it! I can't use natural methods in his tank.....that insolent **** will eat ANYTHING you put in with him!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    How big is that tank ? I would still put a camera on it.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • EturnEturn Member Posts: 317 Member
    No cat getting in Doc....either the little basterds are hiding REAL good......or they expired and got recycled through the natural course of events. The only thing that ticks me off is the clown loaches disappearing.....I need them for the snails.....and they ain't cheap.....that's almost 50 bucks gone AWOL. Granted I'm upset about the Albino Kribs....they were unique and I got them from MHS.....same for the pike.....they hold a sentimental value like SamW has for his cat RJ.

The pike is especially dear......he survived a year of neglect and pulled through.....I spoil that fish now....he earned it! I can't use natural methods in his tank.....that insolent **** will eat ANYTHING you put in with him!

Empty it and put some substrate and a redtail in it.

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    That was loosely stolen from a customer from my old job.
    He was nuts.
    He told the salesman that people were breaking in, drinking his beer, moving his furniture, sleeping in his bed and rubbing their junk on his apples that he kept in the fridge.
    The salesman asked how he knew they were rubbing their junk on his fruit, he said " cause I can taste it".

One time someone broke into my house, stole all my furniture, and replaced it with exact replicas...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member