Considering living in a trailer park, fill me in

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,389 Senior Member
I have accepted an oil field job while I wait for the Army to activate me for Flight School. The area I'm going has very little housing available in the way of houses and apartments, and living in a trailer park has been suggested.

What do I need to know? I have never done this before and neither have my parents. I am considering purchasing a FEMA style trailer ($4000-$6000) for the time I need it and then selling once I leave.

I don't even know where to start, so any info is greatly appreciated.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    Trailer parks are no different than any other neighborhood. You got good ones and you got bad ones. North Charleston was on the FBI list for most violent cities, and I could show you some trailer parks that are like an oasis away from it all. Then again, I could show you some that we would probably get mugged just driving through :jester:
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    I figured as much. Where I will be living is largely (almost entirely) an oil town, so the community I am looking at will probably be occupied by folks working 90hrs weeks and only returning to sleep, shower, and eat. This calls for further investigation.

On a similar note, is buying one of those $5000 "FEMA" trailers a wise choice?
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,114 Senior Member
    On a similar note, is buying one of those $5000 "FEMA" trailers a wise choice?
    It could be. It all depends. Some get trashed all to heck, others are well maintained and a good buy. Do your best to inspect the ones that you want to buy first.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,665 Senior Member
    I have accepted an oil field job while I wait for the Army to activate me for Flight School. The area I'm going has very little housing available in the way of houses and apartments, and living in a trailer park has been suggested.

What do I need to know? I have never done this before and neither have my parents. I am considering purchasing a FEMA style trailer ($4000-$6000) for the time I need it and then selling once I leave.

I don't even know where to start, so any info is greatly appreciated.

Heading out to the Eagle Ford or Permian Basin? Nothing wrong with living in a trailer temporarily for a job like that. I know up in ND they have a bunch of dorm style "man camps" set up near the oil fields. I had a friend who worked summers down at Lake Powell and lived in a trailer. Not the most comfortable living conditions, but not much different than a lot of cheap apartments. My guess is that where ever you are it will be mostly other oil field workers so probably not your stereotypical trailer park.

Congrats on the job BTW, good business to be in right now. I would think you should be able to put a way a nice chunk of cash.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Definitely do a detailed inspection before you buy, with particular attention given to checking out the plumbing. All it takes is one hard freeze to totally trash a travel trailer plumbing system, due to lack of insulation and lots of airflow underneath. Once you're situated on site, add skirting from the bottom of the trailer to ground level, and wrap any exposed pipes with thermostatically-controlled heat tape that switches on if the temps drop below a pre-set point.

I've lived in a mobile home park only once, many years ago in California. Like any other closely-packed neighborhood, the folks nearby make a big difference how good or bad the experience can be. Do your homework before you commit to a lease or a lot rental agreement.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Check for formaldehyde. Lots of those trailers had them in them.

With that being said, lots of used travel trailers could be had for that price range.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Check for formaldehyde. Lots of those trailers had them in them.

How does one check for formaldehyde?
    It's an insulating material that was used in some of the Katrina-era FEMA rigs. A little online research might be in order, but I believe the ones with insulation issues have mostly been dealt with already. Like most other concerns, the situation was WAY overblown IMHO.

Edit: Here's the government report on the situation- - - - -we know our government doesn't lie to us, right?

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ehhe/trailerstudy/pdfs/FEMAFinalReport.pdf

Jerry
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,687 Senior Member
    IM me where you are going. I have a bud from Highschool that is roughnecking out near Odessa.

One thing to be aware of in that kind of environment (Young guys working hard jobs and long hours all in the same concentrated space) is blowing all your money in the off time by partying. I know a lot of guys that did that sort of thing at fish canneries in Alaska making really good money, and came back in debt.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    One thing about living in a small trailer.....you discover life isn't about "stuff"....because you have no place to put the "stuff" in question...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    As was pretty much mentioned, living in temp housing is pretty much normal around oil field towns. I bought a 5th wheel from an oil field guy years ago and I lived in it in a trailer park for about 6 months before I moved it to my family farm and lived in it there for a while. I loved it, but then I'm pretty simple. A house that I can pick up and take with me whenever I want? I'm all for that idea.

Along with what Mr. Jerry mentioned, also check the fridge, water heater and AC very well. Those items can be VERY expensive to replace. Water heaters that work on elec. and gas can run $500 to replace. The refrigerators in those usually run on elec and propane as well and can run over $1000 to replace. The refrigerated air units on those can cost some good money as well, but are usually cheaper to replace that to repair.

Water leaks can be a big deal, wheter they are from leaking plumbing like Jerry mentioned, or outside water getting in. Water can destroy the walls, floors, counters and cabinets in those trailers pretty quickly.

I've been in RVs with formaldahyde. I didn't think it was a big deal. You can smell it on a nice, warm day. Some of the black water tank treatment chemicals have formaldahyde in them anyway.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    You going do it in style and get a Double-wide! You will need a Tapestry of dogs playing poker for the living room and a couple statues of Doberman’s from the Dollar Store to adorn the front steps :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    As you well know, the metal trailers are built of is a special attractant for tornadoes.

It is also an attractant for wild and crazy females who tend to live there. During my youth (18-55) ha ha -- I spent many an "interesting" time in small trailers in the company of random women.

This is either a bad or good thing, depending on how you consider your immortal soul.

Myself, I'd say go for it!

Caution: Trailer park women tend to accumulate random children and also have occasional ex-boyfriends, ex-hubbies, and meddling brothers in law who drop by unexpectedly at, oh, 3am, just to say hello and make sure TwylaSue is in good hands **.

Disagreements may ensue. Voices may elevate unduly. Weapons may be unfurled. Unwanted altercations may develop. County constables may appear and take everyone to jail, willy-nilly, to then let the judge sort 'em out in the morning. (Originally via Anau Almaric, 1209 Crusades, "kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" or something to that effect).

I can attest personally to such events regarding trailer park women. Note that I do not assign "bad" or "good" to such interactions. It's entirely up to you. I ask, "Is a snake or lizard bad, or is it just being itself?"

So if you're gonna go trailerin', and you choose to dip into the gene pool thus provided (even if you wisely wear galoshes, you get my meaning), at least choose the wiryist, sharpest, most clever, most cutely inked, slender, dark-eyed, and funniest among them, so at least you can look back and say it was worth it.

** I'd especially look out for random 2nd or 3rd cousins who think they've got a say in the matter. They tend to have driven their pickups further from a more remote trailer park where they live, and are therefore likely to have consumed more beer en route.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
    Sam neglected to mention that any such liasons conducted after dragging a $20.00 bill along behind you is considered to be unsporting, sort of like "Shooting over bait"!
    :nono::nono::nono:
    Jerry
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Sam neglected to mention that any such liasons conducted after dragging a $20.00 bill along behind you is considered to be unsporting, sort of like "Shooting over bait"!
    :nono::nono::nono:
    Jerry

Agree completely! Money should never be a factor, except peripherally, such as you are able to afford Bud or Lone Star or other "premium" beers and not have to settle for the 16-oz "retirement beer" brands. Being able to totally splurge your gal at Pizza Hut or any other fine dining establishment puts you in good stead. It also helps that your car or truck actually starts, exhaust gasses don't fog up the passenger compartment, and the front wheels don't wobble. With that sort of visible wealth, you don't need real cash.

All these top of the line gentleman's accessories bode you well among the trailer park ladies.

Another note: it's well advised to only date those who are divorced. Now, you say, what about finding a gal who's not even been married? Well, good luck with that, assuming you're staying above the 17-18 yr old level. All trailer park gals are divorcees. It just depends on the current status of their divorce, which can be:

1- actually legally divorced with paperwork and all, signed, of course, Jason still comes around now and then. I had stayaway papers out on him but that didn't make no difference 'cause Jason says we're still married in the eyes of the Lord.
    2- pretty much legally divorced but the paperwork hasn't gone through (or been filed) and Jason said he'd stay away, mostly, till the divorce come thru.
    3- pretty much divorced but not legally but Jason did move out all his clothes and tools so I guess that's enough. He did leave a change of clothes in the back for when he comes by late nights.
    4- not really divorced but we will do the divorce as soon as Jason gets outta jail for beating up that guy who he said was payin' too much attention to me
    5- not divorced but not married either, I guess with Jason workin' 6-on, 6-off on those oil rigs, I'm pretty much free to do as I want till he gets back home. Wait-- is it Tuesday or Wednesday? I kinda forget his schedule till he shows up.
    6- Jason ain't here right now, wanta beer?

At which point it's always smart to inquire, "how large is this Jason anyway?"

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    Matt, make a visit to the area if you can and look for a rental. Some oil fields have mobile homes for rent cause some roughneck bought a trailer then moved on or only works certain times of the year, but holds onto to it to rent it out to make more money off of it.

Create an inspection checklist of water, heat, ac, electricity, damage, sewage....just like you'd do for an apartment. You don't want to get hit for your damage deposit.

Hire an exterminator to inspect/treat for bed bugs, termites, mice before you move in.

Check for propane/gas leaks, and availability/costs of those resources.

Get used to noise.

Get a handgun safe and try to bolt that sucker to something solid. I've seen people drive 1/2" rebar through the floor and 4' into the ground, then spot weld the safe to the bars.....a bolt cutter or pry-bar will make mince-meat out of anything less.

Keep running and TRY to stay off the drink....roughnecking has a funny way of turning you into an alcoholic real quick...."work hard play hard" is the mantra of those towns.

Own nothing that you aren't willing to lose.

If you can't fix up food in 2 minutes or less......forget it....you'll live by the microwave......but get a propane grill for an indulgence.....you'll eat a lot of steak, chicken, and pork chops.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Look around and see what is out there is the best advice you've had. If that doesn't pan out look for a small travel trailer since it will just be temporary. I saw a craigslist ad for Fema trailers in Houston for $5K. I just got back from a trip down to the coast and it seems like nothing but little trailer towns all over the place. Used travel trailers are going for a premium right now, especially down south and some are charging pretty high prices for lot rent to park them.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    I live in a mobile home in a trailer park and its been pretty good. Only problem I had so far was inconsiderate idiots that didnt know how dang loud their radio was. A few cop calls and they are now as quiet as a church mouse. Don't know about the older ones, as mine is a 99, but definitely inspect it good.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    Matt - Coming from a family of cowboys and oil field trash...If you are going into roughnecking, there is a piece of advice I'd like to pass along...."Never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your....errr, uhhh, manhood" Most every old oil field hand I know is missing a body part or two....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • rallykidrallykid Senior Member Posts: 657 Senior Member
    If it is something you are going to long term make sure you set aside enough money for a Z28 and get a mullet.
    No, I do not have a pink fuzzy bunny fetish but apparently my Facebook hacking wife does.
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    I think an SRT pickup can be substituted in this case. Though he'll have to shave his head and grow a goatee....gotta roll with the times......ten years ago!
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
  • JLDickmonJLDickmon Senior Member Posts: 1,726 Senior Member
    this guy is your neighbor in EVERY trailer park..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j1-xQA_ufE
    Never laugh at your wife's choices.
    You are one of them.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Try and get a truck with a Duramax for hauling, and no, unless you will do lots of living on the move, you do not have to use the more expensive RV appliances, pex is used in most stuff anyway, the usual foam wrap works well unless your area is extremely cold.
    An LP tankless water heater is a good idea, PM me if you need some RV ideas.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    ...."Never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your....errr, uhhh, manhood"....

That's good advice in general.

:tooth:
    Figure out which guy you want to be, then go from there.....
    uploadfromtaptalk1356761525187.jpg
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,839 Senior Member
    Knock on your neighbors doors before you park the trailer and talk with the local LEO's to see how many and what kind of calls they make to your chosen park.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Know what an AR divorce and a tornado have in common?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Somebody is gonna lose a trailer.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,494 Senior Member
    Nothing special about a trailer park. I did the 14x64 thing for 7 years, when working a ton of OT a trailer is a good idea. No reason to have a nice house that you won't see anyway, AND you can bank what you save so you can have 20% to put down when you do want a house.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Nothing special about a trailer park. I did the 14x64 thing for 7 years, when working a ton of OT a trailer is a good idea. No reason to have a nice house that you won't see anyway, AND you can bank what you save so you can have 20% to put down when you do want a house.

This pretty much follows my line of thinking. It also appears that I will be able to sell a FEMA type trailer for about what I will have in it with the initial purchase, or at least within $1000 of it.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,507 Senior Member
    This pretty much follows my line of thinking. It also appears that I will be able to sell a FEMA type trailer for about what I will have in it with the initial purchase, or at least within $1000 of it.

I wouldn't buy anything. If it breaks, you fix it. I would rent a room. I am sure others have bought a trailer and take on room mates. Or if there is a town nearby, I am sure there are tons of rentals.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson