Home Main Category Hunting

Back Online With My Big 8

beartrackerbeartracker Senior MemberPosts: 3,116 Senior Member
I just could not take it anymore not having my 8mm Rem Mag up and running so I decided to do some work and if I messed it up my gunsmith was going to get the chance to straighten it out.

First: I did a little more sanding work on my full stock bedding I attempted with my wood stock. I was able to get everything really snug.

Second: I did a little more lapping of the muzzle bore area trying not to destroy the crown and final muzzle area as I remove a good deal of the rust pits.

Third: I decided to change scopes using a Redfield with Accu-Trac and also used Talley one piece rings.

Fourth: Since I am only hunting hogs and deer right now I decided to use IMR4350 instead of IMR7828 and Rem 9 1/2M primers, behind a 220gr SBT so I could lower my velocities to 2800fps or a little above matching to a "T" the Accu-Trac on a 4-12x40mm Redfield still giving me 3945ft pounds of energy at muzzle and 2033ft pounds at 500yds, with a 2.1 inch high sight-in at 100yds and as I said matching the Accu-Trac marks on my scope.

Average velocity
file-372.jpg

First group 1.073"
file-1074.jpg

Second group 0.973"
file-393.jpg

Up And Running (not a target rifle but good enough for hunting)

file-1815.jpg

file-1827.jpg

file-1337.jpg

file-356.jpg

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Very nice.

Thanks, going to the field with it for the first time this coming Monday and then for the following week.
  • NNNN Senior Member NCPosts: 25,221 Senior Member
    Looks very good and can refreshing to see someone actually put a good group at POA.
    I have decided to back off my max load of IMR7828 and drop one grain which will give me around 2950-2970fps and this I all ready know is a very accurate load and this means that I only sight in at 2.0" at 100 and that put me exactly on the Acuu-Trac settings and give me a good balance between the 2842fps (IMR4350 load) and the 3009fps (IMR7828 max load) and is actually more accurate than the 3009fps load. This will give me 4252ft pounds of energy at muzzle and still 2121ft pounds at 500yds. Lots of power and lots of reach especially with the Accu-Trac. I will fire sight in rounds tomorrow morning early before the wind gets above 12 mph.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    That is a beautiful rifle.
    Yes it is and thank you.
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Southwest PAPosts: 2,907 Senior Member
    What is the 8 mag. recoil comparable to?
    Michakav wrote: »
    What is the 8 mag. recoil comparable to?

A 340Wby with no break shooting a 225gr bullet when I shoot my max load 220gr bullet at 3009gps both at about 42ft pounds of free recoil and the 8MM Rem Mag's velocity of recoil is just a tad slower. Now that said, I like shooting this 8mm Rem Mag because it really is not that bad with the stock and recoil pad. In fact it is easier on me than my 340Wby because the recoil pad is better on the Remington.
    Cartridge: .8mm Remington magnum
    Firearm: Remington 700 BDL
    Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.323
    Case Length (in): 2.850
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 93.5
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3009
    Bullet Wt (gr): 220
    Charge Weight (gr): 83
    Barrel Length (in): 24
    Firearm Weight (lb): 8.20
    Free recoil energy is 42.7 ft-lb. (57.9 Joule)

FACTOIDS:
    Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 18 ft/sec. (5.6 m/sec)
    (This is equivalent to dropping the 8.20 lb gun from a height of 5 feet.)
    The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.15 in (3.8 mm) of travel
    Recoil impulse is 4.7 lbf-sec (20.8 Newton-sec)
    Powder gases generate about 37 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

Cartridge: .340 Weatherby
    Firearm: Weatherby Mark V
    Load and Firearm Info:

Bullet Dia (in): 0.338
    Case Length (in): 2.825
    Case Volume (gr H2O): 93.5
    Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3035
    Bullet Wt (gr): 225
    Charge Weight (gr): 83.7
    Barrel Length (in): 26
    Firearm Weight (lb): 8.50
    Free recoil energy is 42.1 ft-lb. (57.1 Joule)

FACTOIDS:
    Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 18 ft/sec. (5.4 m/sec)
    (This is equivalent to dropping the 8.50 lb gun from a height of 5 feet.)
    The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.15 in (3.8 mm) of travel
    Recoil impulse is 4.7 lbf-sec (21 Newton-sec)
    Powder gases generate about 36 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    wow 43 @ 18...that is a decent little thump there!

Remember folks who are reading this and unfamiliar with this level of recoil....your 8lbs 30-06 with 180's is about 20 ft-lbs at 12 fps.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Denver, COPosts: 4,996 Senior Member
    Ok actually that is a pretty good crack not a thump lol. Man 18 fps velocity....
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    That is a pretty neat rifle!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Yeah, I really like it and it is fun to shoot. Sure hope I get a chance here at the end of the season to take something with it.
    Ok actually that is a pretty good crack not a thump lol. Man 18 fps velocity....

It is actually more fun to shoot and impacts me less than my 340Wby because the recoil pad is better than the one I have on the Mark V 340Wby.
    Reduced Max load by one grain, 13ft extreme spread, 5 Deviation, group size 1.197" average velocity 3002fps

file-1771.jpg

file-1217.jpg

file-2286.jpg

file-1396.jpg
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member God's countryPosts: 4,646 Senior Member

Remember folks who are reading this and unfamiliar with this level of recoil....your 8lbs 30-06 with 180's is about 20 ft-lbs at 12 fps.

I guess it's a matter of perception. I've got one pretty much identical to his. Off the bench it's more of a shove or push. To me it's really no big deal. I've shot my 8mm off the bench then finished up the session with my .30 '06. The difference was noticeable, no doubt. I just don't feel like it's brutal or anything. The length of pull is nearly 1" to short for me. Once I get that addressed I'm sure it'll be even better. And obviously standing on my hind legs it's no big deal at all.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 28,060 Senior Member
    Glad to see you finally using something other than floating paper to shoot at. Gives a more realistic representation of group size because it doesn't tear so dramatically.

Cardboard backer with a paster is my preferred and heavy card stock with a paster is my second.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I guess it's a matter of perception. I've got one pretty much identical to his. Off the bench it's more of a shove or push. To me it's really no big deal. I've shot my 8mm off the bench then finished up the session with my .30 '06. The difference was noticeable, no doubt. I just don't feel like it's brutal or anything. The length of pull is nearly 1" to short for me. Once I get that addressed I'm sure it'll be even better. And obviously standing on my hind legs it's no big deal at all.

Hey, I am with you on shooting the 8mm Rem Mag. Mine does not punish me at the bench and my 340Wby is worse in felt recoil than my Big 8. I actually like shooting the 8mm Rem Mag, it is a hoot. Man, can it move dirt around on the back stop. :)

Well instead of backing off one grain and using Rem 9 1/2M primers instead of CCI250 like I was using, I am going back to the CCI250 primer and will backed off two grains from my Max load of IMR7828. This should put me between 2950 - 2980fps and should actually improve accuracy and the 220gr SBT will function better at 2900fps velocities. After hunting season ends for me I am going to try the 200gr bullets again. :)
    Glad to see you got her up and running Mike. I know you were sore disappointed there for a while. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how it goes.
    Zee wrote: »
    Glad to see you finally using something other than floating paper to shoot at. Gives a more realistic representation of group size because it doesn't tear so dramatically.

Cardboard backer with a paster is my preferred and heavy card stock with a paster is my second.

Yes, it is better and as you say it does not tear easy.
    Glad to see you got her up and running Mike. I know you were sore disappointed there for a while. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how it goes.

Yes, I was disappointed for sure. Will let you know if I have a chance at take something with it.
    Hey, I am with you on shooting the 8mm Rem Mag. Mine does not punish me at the bench and my 340Wby is worse in felt recoil than my Big 8. I actually like shooting the 8mm Rem Mag, it is a hoot. Man, can it move dirt around on the back stop. :)

Well instead of backing off one grain and using Rem 9 1/2M primers instead of CCI250 like I was using, I am going back to the CCI250 primer and will backed off two grains from my Max load of IMR7828. This should put me between 2950 - 2980fps and should actually improve accuracy and the 220gr SBT will function better at 2900fps velocities. After hunting season ends for me I am going to try the 200gr bullets again. :)

Regarding the splash on the berm. As you know I bought mine used. Got to the range and at the last minute I decided I'd shoot once without my face right there, so I lifted my head back to pull the trigger. There was no doubt when it hit the berm.
    On the 200gr thing. Mine does not like 220grn Core Locts. But the 200 grn ABs and A frames are usually 1st 2 holes touching. One of these days I'm gonna let the barrel cool before that 3rd shot.
    But I really want to try Partitions.
    I would like this spring to try the 200gr Accubond, Partition, TSX and the 220gr A-Frame. The 220gr A-Frame for the stuff that bits, stomps, sticks you and eats you while you are still alive. Then a nice mix of the three mentioned above with the 220gr SBT and that would give me a lot of versatility. Might even try the 160gr TTSX just for fun.
    I would like this spring to try the 200gr Accubond, Partition, TSX and the 220gr A-Frame. The 220gr A-Frame for the stuff that bits, stomps, sticks you and eats you while you are still alive. Then a nice mix of the three mentioned above with the 220gr SBT and that would give me a lot of versatility. Might even try the 160gr TTSX just for fun.

Ha ha, me and you, same cat, soon as the orange hats clear out I've got my eye on a clearcut. Need it to warm up too. Meantime I've got to get some trigger adjustment done. Still gotta decide whether or not to bed it. I pulled the action and it's well sealed against weather and has that Remington 700 pressure point up near the end of the foregrip. Still undecided but i bed everything so I probably will.
    It's fun to have a rifle to get all dialed in and the time to do it before next hunting season.

Edit to add: It's up to you but our rifles are so similar, (mine was built in 1977 btw), but the best i could get out of 220 grainers was about 3". And I hate it 'cause those Core Locts are perfect medicine for what i hunt here. But I do look forward to your results with Partitions.
    Ha ha, me and you, same cat, soon as the orange hats clear out I've got my eye on a clearcut. Need it to warm up too. Meantime I've got to get some trigger adjustment done. Still gotta decide whether or not to bed it. I pulled the action and it's well sealed against weather and has that Remington 700 pressure point up near the end of the foregrip. Still undecided but i bed everything so I probably will.
    It's fun to have a rifle to get all dialed in and the time to do it before next hunting season.

Look, if you got two touching when shooting some of your bullets and due to a warm barrel the third one moves out some from the group, I would leave everything along but maybe the trigger. Mine is set at 2 1/4 pounds and is the lightest trigger on my hunting rifles and it breaks clean, love it. You really should do a lot of load work before you decide to bed or anything outside of adjusting the trigger so when you do decide to do something you will make a better informed choice.

I loaded for quit a while using all the bullets I mention above except the 220gr A-Frame and 160gr TTSX and used two bullets I did not mention. Lot of load work before I started messing with the stock and if I had known how the rust pits in the muzzle was messing things up, I might not have even tried to bed the stock. Take your time before deciding and play with loads and OAL for a while, you might not have to do much of anything.
    Look, if you got two touching when shooting some of your bullets and due to a warm barrel the third one movea out some from the group, I would leave everything along but maybe the trigger. Mine is set at 2 1/4 pounds and is the lightest trigger on my hunting rifles and it breaks clean, love it. You really should do a lot of load work before you decide to bed or anything outside of adjusting the trigger so when you do decide to do something you will make a better informed choice.

I loaded for quit a while using all the bullets I mention above except the 220gr A-Frame and 160gr TTSX and used two bullets I did not mention. Lot of load work before I started messing with the stock and if I had known how the rust pits in the muzzle was messing things up, I might not have even tried to bed the stock. Take your time before deciding and play with loads and OAL for a while, you might not have to do much of anything.

Sage advice. I will ruminate on it. Thanks
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,071 Senior Member

And this is why if I ever buy a magnum it will have a brake.

Nice looking rifle though!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    You really should do a lot of load work before you decide to bed or anything outside of adjusting the trigger so when you do decide to do something you will make a better informed choice.

Hogwash!

This, I disagree with. Everything gets bedded and free floated before I even THINK about wasting powder and bullets on load work.
    Zee wrote: »
    Hogwash!

This, I disagree with. Everything gets bedded and free floated before I even THINK about wasting powder and bullets on load work.

That's harsh dude. I could call your everything gets free floated comment hogwash. I and many others I know stick with the pressure point out near the end of the fore arm. it has worked for me but to each his own. Mike and I have corresponded off line and at length over this issue. These are mod 700s not ARs nor are they stiff, Varmint profile barrels.
    None of my business and all due respect and all that but you've been kinda cranky lately.
    That's harsh dude. I could call your everything gets free floated comment hogwash. I and many others I know stick with the pressure point out near the end of the fore arm. it has worked for me but to each his own. Mike and I have corresponded off line and at length over this issue. These are mod 700s not ARs nor are they stiff, Varmint profile barrels.
    None of my business and all due respect and all that but you've been kinda cranky lately.

Beartracker knows how I am and he knows that I mean nothing personal by it. But, I stand by what I said and will always voice my opinion when I disagree.

You are more than welcome to call what I write whatever you like. I'm a big boy. I can take it.

Even my thin barrels get floated and they shoot great. I think the pressure point on a barrel is a stupid ploy by companies to make up for poor stock fitting. It's counter to pretty much everything I've ever seen in regards to accuracy in rifles. From factory guns, it's just an excuse for shoddy work. They don't have time to bed so they pressure point to cut corners. There is no consistency from rifle to rifle. Slap it in and ship it out the door. Let the masses deal with it.

I'm not in a bad mood. My bluntness just has varying degrees and toleration of BS ebbs and flows. But, usually pegged.

;-)