Home Main Category Hunting

Back Online With My Big 8

Replies

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,897 Senior Member
    I am looking at the July 2009 issue of G&A. It has an article by Boddington about his 2 favorite cartridges, the .264WM and the 8mmRM. His 8mm was built on a M700 action with a 28" Pac-Nor.

"It has the distinction of firing a .052" one hole group"
  • RazorbackerRazorbacker Senior Member Posts: 4,646 Senior Member
    Johnny reb wrote: »
    It's a 26 in barell winchester model 70 action had some bad weather have t gotten too play with it for a few days

Well post up a range report when you get to it.
    Teach your children to love guns, they'll never be able to afford drugs
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 715 Senior Member
    Going too try and shoot some tomorrow supposed too have some winds but hopefully ill be able too get out and post some progress.
  • beartrackerbeartracker Senior Member Posts: 3,116 Senior Member
    Good luck, hope it goes well and I like the look of the rifle.
    Just with BT's MV that he has reduced, at sea level with a 100 yard zero the numbers are still pretty good at 600 yards.
    Most here don't shoot beyond 6, so I thought I would give that data:
    At 600 yards -- Drop 12.25 MOA, 4.00 MOA (10 mph FV wind), Drop in inches -76.7, Wind drift in inches -24.5, Impact velocity 1946, and ft lbs 1849
    Even if you dropped 60-120fps from having a shorter barrel, it would still do a good job at 600

Thanks for the info Ernie. I'm struck by the drop in inches. Math in my head comes out to 6.5 FEET!! how many scopes even have that much hold over in the advertized field of view. And that's if you know it's exactly 600 yards.
    Also, that's with a heavy magnum. Maybe with age I'm gaining more respect for the animal but anyone reading Ernie's post, you can't just take a poke 'cause you can see him.
    I've followed your stuff for a while now and i think one time I remember you mentioning someone who wasn't prepared in the time or cost in ammo to ethically shoot long range.
    Anyway, I know I'm going on here but between now and next hunting season, I've got my eye on a clearcut that i could shoot Lord only knows how far. But my plan is to go up to 400 or so. I've been stock piling ammo for a few different rifles just to get real world practice under my belt. I'm sure 400 will humble me but we'll see.
    Again, thanks for the info.
    Thanks for the rifle compliment and hope I'm not imposing on you're thread. New too reloading and thought I could use some of you're data as a base too work mine up. Don't know if the pics show it or not but the gun has 3 leaf express sights and Barrell band and I like it. Mines heavier than yours wished it was a little lighter the gun weighs In at 10lbs and I think that zeiss divari scope weighs around 20oz
    Thanks for the rifle compliment and hope I'm not imposing on you're thread. New too reloading and thought I could use some of you're data as a base too work mine up. Don't know if the pics show it or not but the gun has 3 leaf express sights and Barrell band and I like it. Mines heavier than yours wished it was a little lighter the gun weighs In at 10lbs and I think that zeiss divari scope weighs around 20oz

Never worry about that. You are excited about your rifle, and it is an 8mm Rem Mag, man talk about it all you want and post as much as you want. I am looking forward to how it does when you do the load work and its results. I thought that looked like a Mod 70 action at first. Cool rifle.
    Finally got around too tinkering with some more loads got up too 82 grains of h4831 with 200 grain nosler spitzers so far with this powder and bullet higher i go better groups I'm getting started at around 78 grains and after 81.5 started tightening up too around 3/4 at 100 yards went up too 82 and no signs of pressure but getting between 1/2 and 3/4 groups waiting on some more bullets too try
    Finally got around too tinkering with some more loads got up too 82 grains of h4831 with 200 grain nosler spitzers so far with this powder and bullet higher i go better groups I'm getting started at around 78 grains and after 81.5 started tightening up too around 3/4 at 100 yards went up too 82 and no signs of pressure but getting between 1/2 and 3/4 groups waiting on some more bullets too try

Sounds good, that will be a hammer :):):)
    So far so good Johnny. I'd be curious how yours does with 220 grn bullets. Mine hasn't liked them so far but I've only shot factory Core Locts. Seems like the hotter the better is working well.
    Just got some 220 grain sierras delivered today so hopefully get too try them out this week hope they work out pretty good. I don't know if you have ever used any north fork bullets but I like them a lot there working on some from 180 too 220 not cheap but fantastic bullets had good luck in other calipers with them. As soon as they get everything finalized I'm supposed too get an assortment too try with the 8
    Just got some 220 grain sierras delivered today so hopefully get too try them out this week hope they work out pretty good. I don't know if you have ever used any north fork bullets but I like them a lot there working on some from 180 too 220 not cheap but fantastic bullets had good luck in other calipers with them. As soon as they get everything finalized I'm supposed too get an assortment too try with the 8

Yes, I love North Fork bullets and I am aware they are working on them for .323 caliber. I have been talking with them about this since last year and keep in touch with them to see the progress.

Where'd you get those 220s? I can't find anything over 200. Bear, got any kind of link to that north fork outfit or just care to opine?
    I guess I'm a hybrid of Kieth. I like heavy and fast.

Edit:those bullets may not be cheap but in my limited experience ain't nothing about shooting the 8mm Mag cheap.
    Where'd you get those 220s? I can't find anything over 200. Bear, got any kind of link to that north fork outfit or just care to opine?
    I guess I'm a hybrid of Kieth. I like heavy and fast.

Edit:those bullets may not be cheap but in my limited experience ain't nothing about shooting the 8mm Mag cheap.

http://www.northforkbullets.com/magento/
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    So this load in the rifle is loosing a hair less than 2000 Ft LBS Energy in 500 yards? None too shabby for sure.

Over 2000 pounds at 500 yards is still hitting like a ton of bricks, literally!

One thing to remember here, there's more than one way to skin a possum, er I mean cat! As for load work and bedding, I say shoot the rifle first. There's an old saying. "You know what you do with a half minute rifle? You don't screw (only most use the F word when saying it) with it. So if you have a factory rifle that shoots 1/2 moa, unless you're going to the National Bench Rest finals, don't do anything to it. I did once and learned my lesson. Ended up opening the groups up over 2". That broke me from sucking eggs. That was out of the box accuracy and I let someone screw it up. But thanks to Warren Page and his bench rest shooting articles I got it back by putting the pressure point back in.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    As far as the sierras I ordered direct from them. Took about a week too get and north fork sent me some specs on there 8mm bullets and as soon as there available supposed too contact me and get them my way
    Johnny, even in my 30-06 my go to round for the big stuff is the 180gr North Fork which I am able to push at 2796-2804fps and whether it is in my 06 or 300Wby or Win Mag that bullet will not only open up well and form a perfect mushroom but it will stay together. For a bonded premium bullet it stays together like the A-Frame but opens up quicker and better than the A-Frame. Expensive bullet, but compared to the cost of my hunts the bullet cost means nothing but the bullet performance means everything.

Snake, I took the pressure point off of my 8mm Rem mag and after experiencing poor accuracy with all my previous loads I had to put the pressure point back. Some sporter barrels need the pressure point and free floating them can and at times is a mistake. In fact working with my new pressure point I actually improve my accuracy of the rifle over the previous factory pressure point. Remington new what they were doing when they put the pressure point on that barrel that had a constant contour from receiver to the muzzle.
    "Snake, I took the pressure point off of my 8mm Rem mag and after experiencing poor accuracy with all my previous loads I had to put the pressure point back. Some sporter barrels need the pressure point and free floating them can and at times is a mistake. In fact working with my new pressure point I actually improve my accuracy of the rifle over the previous factory pressure point. Remington new what they were doing when they put the pressure point on that barrel that had a constant contour from receiver to the muzzle."

This is right on. What many people fail to see is that a pressure point isn't about curing poor bedding or a half a.. bedded factory rifle, it's about curing barrel vibration that no bedding can cure. In other words, it's more about the barrel than the stock and the bedding. And it makes no difference if the barreled action is in a cheap wood stock (Unbedded OR bedded), a High dollar laminate stock with aluminum or stainless pillars, or an $800 Synthetic Stock. The purpose of pressure points is a separate entity than bedding. It's about barrel vibration. Maybe full length bedding the barrel will work, I've never tried it. But that does something similar to a pressure point.

Nope, if you don't want to have to worry about jacking with pressure point issues, ever, get you a barrel that is FAT in relation to its length. But if you have a long skinny barrel, there's always the chance of needing a pressure point.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Yeah I like the north forks if woodleigh wood make some for the 8 I'd try those as well. What kind of brass are you using in you're 8? All I've found bit was at a premium was nosler and I bought all they had in the same lot.
    All I have been using was Remington. I had 300 rounds of New Rem brass that came with the rifle.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,218 Senior Member
    Thank you Snake! I read the same thing in "Understanding Firearms Ballistics". I had a Mk X action with a PO ackley barrel, the stock had a presure point and being this was an Ackley I left it there. It was chambered in 7 mag and shot a three shot one hole group at 75 yards. The only gun I ever regreted selling but my hunting partner needed it. Classic old rifle with a 4x12 Redfield on it but I guess we all make mistakes.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member

You got two boxes of vintage deer killing coreloks pretty cheap :jester:

If you were quicker on the draw you could have had the dusty brass too....:zzzz:

Did I tell you about the bullets at My LGS yet ?
    Oops sorry I forgot
    Wish I could of found some remington brass couldn't find any. 25 pieces of remington brass what 28-30$ nosler brass only place could find it was grafs 62.95 for 25 pieces of brass even reloading my 375 is probally cheaper too shoot but I like this damn thing
    You just need to find the right place to shop
    And this is why if I ever buy a magnum it will have a brake.

Nice looking rifle though!

I have two magnums, one with a brake (300 Wby) and one without, (7mm Rem. Mag.). But in the not so distant future, the 7 Mag will get one too, along with my hard kicking .270 Win. Now that makes no rhyme or reason, why that rifle of mine kicks so hard. But it will kick the livin Qua Qua out of you! So it and the 7 Mag both will get a brake.
    along with my hard kicking .270 Win. Now that makes no rhyme or reason, why that rifle of mine kicks so hard

I'd say it probably just fits you the worst on that one but do believe what you say on how the recoil feels to you with it
    I'm not putting a brake on anything I can't stand the dang things. On the upside I wouldn't mind keeping barell jump down on some of my toys. Probally the worst thing I have barell jump wise is my 300 rcm now that little thing off bench will jump a good 8 in
    Weatherby wrote: »

You got two boxes of vintage deer killing coreloks pretty cheap :jester:

If you were quicker on the draw you could have had the dusty brass too....:zzzz

Oops sorry I forgot

heaper, not cheap. i know you had some 170grainers, is this something new?
    On brass, when I run out of the factory ammo I have i'll have 40 Remington brass cases and 60 nickled Nosler cases. oops 39 Remingtons, I lost the one I killed the buck with as I worked the bolt with him still in the scope and couldn't find the case later.
    Johnny, thanks for the info on the 220s I'll try to hit up Sierra.
    Bear, thanks for the link. Didn't spend much time on that site yet but will bookmark it for later.
    On brakes, I completely understand why people like Ernie use them. His writing has been an education for me, but I despise the things. But when I get older and my magnums are no longer pleasant to shoot I may rethink my position. I'll be completely deaf by then anyway:tooth:

I'd be curious when you ordered those 220s. Just got off the Sierra website and they were of course, "out of stock". The main page had a thing about demand exceeding production, doing the best they can... Dad burnit Obama and every other lefty loon, this is crap. You can't buy anything anymore. Except shot shells which ironically i have a buttload of. But sadly no double barrel. Or balcony. Or wife named Jill. GRRRR. When this is over I'm buying a shipping container and filling it full of shooting supplies. This will never happen to me again. Look for me on the police blotter as having an "arsenal" next time.

Edit: on a whim i went to Midway and was able to order 50 each of 220 grn Game Kings 200 grn ABs which this rifle seems to like and 200 grn Partitions. I stopped looking and checked out in case they too were, "out of stock, no back order" before I could finish shopping.
    This in no way diminishes the suckage of this overall situation.
    How many of the 200 grain do you want a lgs I rarely go too had several boxes the other day and I bought 2 more boxes of nosler spitzers for 20$ a box