Home Main Category General Firearms

Bullet question!

killpillakillpilla MemberPosts: 50 Member
Please only respond if you really know what your talking about and not just cause you've been shooting for awhile, thank you!

My question is: Is it the bigger the bullet, the less accurate it is. Cause from what I understand is that the M16 is more accurate than the AK-47, but the AK has more power. Would this be the same for a 9mm and a 45cal?

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    With an intro like that, why don't we just refuse to respond at all?
    Jerry
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 26,896 Senior Member
    I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've only been shooting a long time and wanted to be contrite to your post.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • killpillakillpilla Member Posts: 50 Member
    Here's an idea. Let's act like asses instead out actually contributing to something thats not a waste of my time and yours, thank you!
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,463 Senior Member
    Or learn a few manners and probably a lot more too.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,757 Senior Member
    I'd say the first shot at acting like a hind end would be fired by you, but because someone else might find the information interesting...

It's not true. Accuracy is dependent on the bullet's construction, the barrel, barrel twist rate relative to bullet length, and the weapon design. Among other things. Silly things like powder, chamber dimensions, freebore or lack of, and the like can also influence it. Some folks even report an accuracy gain by changing primers (those are the things that ignite the powder.)

There are quite accurate .30 cal rifles, just as accurate as .223 rifles. An AK-47 is inaccurate due to how the rifle and its barrel are built, and the fact that ammo is quite inconsistent. On the other hand, an AR-10 firing a .308 projectile can be just as accurate as a AR-15 firing .223.

As for .45 vs 9mm, look at Camp Perry. Some guys use their .45 not just for the .45 portion of the pistol competition, but also for centerfire (9mm/.38 is the minimum caliber for that) and they not only do well, they win against guys shooting 9mms.

Really anyone who's bothered to look at how to make an accurate firearm and cartridge would know this. They've usually been shooting for a while, too.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Those sub inch calibers are just wanna be rounds compared to a REAL rifle. :rotflmao:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.htm
    USA 16"/50 Mark 7
    This was possibly the best battleship gun ever put into service. Originally intended to fire the relatively light 2,240 pound (1,016.0 kg) AP Mark 5 projectile, the shell handling system for these guns was redesigned to use the "super-heavy" 2,700 pound (1,224.7 kg) AP Mark 8 before any of the USS Iowa class (BB-61) battleships were laid down. This heavier projectile made these guns nearly the equal in terms of penetration power to the 46 cm (18.1") guns of the Japanese Yamato class battleships, yet they weighed less than three-quarters as much.

As modernized in the 1980s, each turret carried a DR-810 radar that measured the muzzle velocity of each gun, which made it easier to predict the velocity of succeeding shots. Together with the Mark 160 FCS and better propellant consistency, these improvements made these weapons into the most accurate battleship-caliber guns ever made. For example, during test shoots off Crete in 1987, fifteen shells were fired from 34,000 yards (31,900 m), five from the right gun of each turret. The pattern size was 220 yards (200 m), 0.64% of the total range. 14 out of the 15 landed within 250 yards (230 m) of the center of the pattern and 8 were within 150 yards (140 m). Shell-to-shell dispersion was 123 yards (112 m), 0.36% of total range.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,226 Senior Member
    Mr. Jerry had the best response. But, I'm sure the normal thread drift will make this a 4 or 5 page thread anyway....:yikes:
  • 5280 shooter II5280 shooter II Senior Member Posts: 3,923 Senior Member
    killpilla wrote: »
    Please only respond if you really know what your talking about and not just cause you've been shooting for awhile, thank you!

My question is: Is it the bigger the bullet, the less accurate it is. Cause from what I understand is that the M16 is more accurate than the AK-47, but the AK has more power. Would this be the same for a 9mm and a 45cal?

My answer is: No for both questions. Power is relative as you're comparing light and fast to heavier and slower.....but it's all an excercise in kenetic energy, isn't it...E=MCsqd....comparing apples to apples......an M-16 will still be more accurate than an AK-74, because of the firing platform, not the bullet alone.

9mm VS .45 cal....one is no more accurate than the other.....accuracy here falls upon the shooter and the platform. My Glock 23/19 (.40 & 9mm), Sig 229 .40 S&W, CZ-97 and S&W 1911 (.45) all print golf ball size groups while benched.....tennis ball sized groups freehand in isoceles stance. My revolvers in .357 and .44 are on par as well.

Light and fast VS heavy and slower also equates to rifle rounds as well....last month I killed an elk with a 150 gr Hornady Interloc from a .300 winmag, it did the job, but the organs and bullet construction stopped the bullet in the heart.....had the bullet been a Barnes TTSX, I'm sure it would have gone straight through the animal. You seeing my point yet?

Man, some of y'all's skin got a little thin over the holidays ya Nancys.....:tooth: However Killpilla, you could've done better w/o the first sentence. Never, ever, approach ANY public forum with a "just the facts ma'am" attitude......you're just begging to get your marshmellow burnt.
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    Based on posts from killpilla so far, the impression is either a troll or very much in need of education. If you need to be educated, you don't tell people who know more than you to make sure they know more than you before they teach...
    :hug:

Howa. Who's Howa? :jester:

Sound like some guy who disappeared, went into hiding, had plasitc surgery, then showed back up acting like someone else...............
    Jay-Zee....bite me......can't you see.....I'm bus-zeee......:tooth:

Hey BP Snipper.....while you're busy pounding sand......my driveway needs some foundation work......I need someone down to earth.....like a guy that crawls over it cause standing up makes little difference.......:roll2:
    God show's mercy on drunks and dumb animals.........two outa three ain't a bad score!
    I like beer!
    Jerry
    I'm so ashamed of your grumpiness Teach.......:tooth:
    Just like fine wine, curmudgeon-ness takes years to develop properly.
    :wink::wink::wink:
    Jerry
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 661 Senior Member
    OOO, boy you sure drug it in the dirt on this one.
    I expect a little more like 100 proof running through your veins rather than some pansy 13% tolerance.....living in the hills of Tennessee and all.....ya reckon? :wink:
    The good stuff is as clear as water, and 140 proof! Budweiser makes a pretty good chaser, though!
    :tooth:
    Jerry
    That reminds me, the LLS (local liquor store) has Shine for $24 a quart.....I'm skeered cause the last time I had home-brew, back in my 20's......I don't remember much......but the videotape of it was funny as hell!!!! :tooth:
    cpj wrote: »
    A smaller bullet will ALWAYS, ALWAYS shoot a smaller group than a bigger bullet. Dont believe it? Fire a .223 and a .308. Measure the outside diameter of the group. The. 223 will be smaller. Same gies for a 17 HMR, it will have a smaller group than the 223.

And before you start doubting, not only have I been shooting for going on 42 years, I am also the president of Chris Jordan Bullet Company. So I know a thing or two.

Of course smaller bullets make smaller groups...duh! But that's if you can group like you know what you're doing......we've all seen the the shotgun spread our wive's/girlfriends make with a .380..... :tooth:
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,858 Senior Member

New Guy...most inhabitants of this board could answer your questions ...however in view of your first post...I have doubts that more than one or two people will give you a serious response....You DON'T come into someones house and insult people....an apology and taking another try at your inquiry would be a start.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    You really don't read everything before you respond, do you Scott? Not being condescending, but your points have been addressed already.....jus' sayin'.....Now if that's just your opinion talking.....then by all means say whatcha wanna say!
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member

How could you answer question without shooting for a while????
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I'd offer a response, but it's all been said, so all I can offer is,

well_bye_2.jpg
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Here's an idea. Let's act like asses instead out actually contributing to something thats not a waste of my time and yours, thank you!

Looks like you're already on top of that.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,058 Senior Member
    I do not know squat, just ask cpj.
    Hmmmmm- - - - -sounds like an honor graduate of Equine University, where "smart-donkeys" go to college!
    Jerry
    Well said, Mr White Eagle!

NRA Endowment Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,858 Senior Member
    You really don't read everything before you respond, do you Scott? Not being condescending, but your points have been addressed already.....jus' sayin'.....Now if that's just your opinion talking.....then by all means say whatcha wanna say!
    Yeah...I read all of the posts before I responded...and saw that one or two responded...that's why I said what I said...what's your point?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • killpillakillpilla Member Posts: 50 Member
    I'd say the first shot at acting like a hind end would be fired by you,

Well, if you re read my opening post you'll see I was rather polite and only asking if someone knowledgeable would reply cause we all know the internet is available to anyone AND we all know that people who dont know will go online and act like they know. But its ok, so come in and give ME a hard time for politely asking for a response from one thats knowledgeable and not an internet wanna be and give me a hard time again when I dish it out back at yah. Merry christmas internet bully's!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,757 Senior Member
    Oh, boo freakin' hoo. Both of your threads have started the same way: acting as though the folks here who respond might not know what they're talking about. I'd suggest some Tuck's medicated pads.

BTW, did you read the actual answers?
    Overkill is underrated.