NFL: regular season ups and downs, your fave picks

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Sunday Dec 30 ends the regular NFL season, and there are some playoff berths and standings yet to be determined.

Best game of the day may be Packers vs Vikings. Packers are already in, Vikes are working for a spot. They're great old rivals, too.

This time of the season is when the real winners have begun to show their stuff, and others fade or slip. Steelers got eliminated last week, proving that tired slogans or rag waving don't substitute for actual better play on the field. At least they gave it a good run, unlike the Chiefs, for example, who simply exist to notch losses.

Texans are still a work in progress. Yes, they're 12-3 to lead the NFC, but 2 of the last 3 games they played terribly, and this is no way to stride into the playoffs. The final game is on the road against the very good Colts, who are looking for solid playoff standings themselves. If the Texans win, they'll have home field advantage throughout the playoffs, a huge advantage. The road to the Super Bowl has never gone through Houston. If they lose, they're still in the playoffs but have to travel. Texans need to turn it around bigtime and win their last game, and maybe this will be their year to play in the Big One. I'd give them 50-50 odds.

There are quite a few other good games on tap. Some teams will go into the playoffs with momentum, some will sort of fall backwards into the finals. What are your fave teams doing, their chances, your predictions?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Another critical game today is Cowboys at Redskins. Classic rivalry, and this time, playoff standings are in the offing.

Who's rooting Redskins here?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,004 Senior Member
    Cowboys! I have nothing against RGIII, but I don't like the Skins or Shenanigan. I'm sick of the media hype, let them prove something first, then bring on the hype.
    Hoping for a Pack win. I'd like to see them play the Seahawks at Lambeau with real refs!! Peterson will get a few long ones, he's hard to contain all day, but I don't think he will break the record.
    HoustonVColts should be good.
    Well, the Giants were eliminated earlier.

The Texans lost in a terribly played game (terrible for a team supposed to be headed for the finals), typically giving up nagging small penalties that either killed their drive or boosted the Colts drive, and bad plays on special teams, too. But the Colts outplayed the Texans fair and square and deserved the win, 28-16. Texans had it in their own hands to control all playoff games thru Houston, now they'll start on the road and hope for the best. Being division champs they at least get a wildcard bye. But they've slipped down in the rankings and their play 3 of last 4 games is NOT what you want to take to the playoffs. Nobody's fault but their own.

I saw on the local news lots of Texans fans in Indiannoplace last night, "We're gonna win" and whenever I hear someone say that, I tend to ask "Now correct me, what position do you play on the squad?" I root for the Texans, sure, and want them to win, sure. But NOTHING I can do will affect this. I can wear face paint, wave an old rag, post a tired slogan on the net, and it won't make one single difference. So I sit with my pals, cheer a good play, awww a bad play, and otherwise feel pretty much the same an hour after a game, win or lose.

Wildcard game lineup looks terrific, may provide some of the best games of the season. We're looking at Bengals-Pats, Colts-Ravens, Bears-49ers, and Seahawks-Redskins. Of course Cowboys and Vikings are still in the hunt and may displace the weaker of the NFC wildcard teams. Either way, should be a fine football weekend upcoming.

Modified a bit by the late scores, wow, what a terrific game the Vikes and Pack played. I like both teams and it was fun seeing the back-and-forth.

Now we've got Cowboys vs Skins and that will set up the playoffs. Next week should be fun.

• Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Seahawks!!!

Coming for YOU RGIII!!!!
    Wildcard week we've got 4 excellent games on tap:
    Saturday
    Bengals @ Texans
    Vikings @ Packers
    Sunday
    Colts @ Ravens
    Seahawks @ Redskins

and waiting for the winners next week will be:
    Broncos
    49ers
    Falcons
    Pats

I think we're in for some fine playoffs. And should the Texans win, great. I'm just not gonna invest and blood, sweat, or tears on their behalf. Look at the wasted energy of the Cowboy, Steeler, Bears, etc. fans.

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,980 Senior Member
    Tony Romo is a great passer, throwing the football to the other team.................Cowgirls are finished fer the season.

GB and the Vikings will have another go and the Redskins and Seattle will face off.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 708 Senior Member
    I think the Packers are going to be hard to beat in the playoffs.
    Vikes played a good game yesterday, Ponder made good decisions and it showed, of course, Peterson was awesome. He's deserves MVP!! I'm almost glad they won, Da Bears don't deserve to be in play offs.
    The Redskins are for real, will be an interesting game V the Hawks.
    Texans V Bengals, same as last year!
    Denver looks like the team to beat this year!
    I love the play offs, but I hate to see the football season end!!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,478 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Tony Romo is a great passer, throwing the football to the other team.................Cowgirls are finished fer the season.

GB and the Vikings will have another go and the Redskins and Seattle will face off.

That's not right, Al. Romo is a great QB unless he's playing in a really big game. Then he manages to stink it up.

Congrats to the Skins.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Romo is a good QB but not serious Super Bowl material. Of course, few QBs are. I'd rate Romo on a par with Roeth... (the Steeler's QB whose name I never learned to spell). Good but not great.

Right now I'm guessing Pats vs 49ers for the Super Bowl. I'll put the Packers into the NFC championship game, maybe. Truth be told, about half the playoff teams could end up in the SB, depending. I'd be delighted to see the Texans in the AFC championship game, but they have to wake up first --zzzzz.

I'm saddest for the Steelers and Bears for not making the playoffs, but hey. Ol' Buford didn't even bother to post his weekly rag-waving animation this time around, with the Steelers eliminated -- but they did at least win their last season game.

It was quite a day for coach firings: Eagles, Chargers, Bears, Browns, Chiefs, Buffalo.

JerryBobCo wrote: »
    That's not right, Al. Romo is a great QB unless he's playing in a really big game. Then he manages to stink it up.

Congrats to the Skins.

That's funny, I don't remember mentioning anything about Romo, but I did play golf with his uncle last summer!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    That's funny, I don't remember mentioning anything about Romo, but I did play golf with his uncle last summer!!

My bad. I confused your post with that of Big Chiefs. 30 lashes with a wet noodle for me.
    Jerry

samzhere wrote: »
    Romo is a good QB but not serious Super Bowl material. Of course, few QBs are. I'd rate Romo on a par with Roeth... (the Steeler's QB whose name I never learned to spell). Good but not great.

I have to disagree with you on this one, Sam. Big Ben has taken the Steelers to the big game twice, and won once. In the win, he put together a masterful last minute drive to seal the deal against the Cards. I thought he even played well in the loss to the Packers.

Romo, OTOH, has won one playoff game. Of course, one player can't do it all by himself, but it seems that when the chips are down in a really big game, Romo can't make the play.
    Jerry

My bad. I confused your post with that of Big Chiefs. 30 lashes with a wet noodle for me.

I knew that, just had to give you some guff!! Besides, Chief and I are like brothers from another mother!!:roll2:
    I have to disagree with you on this one, Sam. etc etc

I'd be hard pressed to say who's the better QB, and frankly rank them about even -- both very good, neither top championship caliber. At least not right now -- Big Ben's injuries may definitely be holding him back, maybe it's just the way things worked out this season. I'm not knocking either QB however. Most teams would be happy for them to be starters. This comes from someone who's not a Cowboys fan and is definitely a Steelers fan, just trying to be fair -- you can't base this season's play on previous seasons.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    I have to disagree with you on this one, Sam. Big Ben has taken the Steelers to the big game twice, and won once. In the win, he put together a masterful last minute drive to seal the deal against the Cards. I thought he even played well in the loss to the Packers.

Romo, OTOH, has won one playoff game. Of course, one player can't do it all by himself, but it seems that when the chips are down in a really big game, Romo can't make the play.

3 times, winning twice.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    I know being a Dolphins fan leaves me no room to talk...we will continue to suck until We gut the front office and stop hiring has beens, signing has beens, stocking faith in never weres, and have an owner that doesn't understand wins equals dollars....BUT...here is a controller for cowboys fans that allows them to play madden just like Romo...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357084186.224545.jpg
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    Giving y'all my best predictions for the playoffs:

wild card round:
    Texans over Bengals
    Packers over Vikes (best game of the weekend)
    Colts over Ravens
    Redskins over Seahawks (my most daring prediction)

playoff round:
    Texans over Pats (a reallllly deep guess here against odds)
    Broncos over Colts
    49ers over Packers
    Redskins over Falcons

Championship
    Broncos over Texans
    49ers over Redskins

SB
    49ers over Broncos

Now this is pure guessing. I could easily see about half these playoff teams in the SB without surprise, the others making there by great luck, I suppose.

Michakav wrote: »
    3 times, winning twice.

I stand corrected. I forgot about the Seahawks game.
    Jerry

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,584 Senior Member
    Definitely some intriguing match ups this week. I think the redskins seahawks game could be the most interesting. I kindof like both teams and should be a hard fought game. I lean towards the seahawks winning in a close one though only because I live here in DC and have watched their sports teams for a while and this is normally how things go (see 2012 Nationals). While some of these match-ups will be hard or impossible to occur I'd like to see things play out so that these games occur:

Packers vs. Seahawks (replay of the infamous replacement ref game)
    Colts vs. Broncos (Manning vs. Luck)
    Ravens vs. Pats (always a tough game)
    Broncos vs. Pats (Manning vs. Brady part 42)
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,411 Senior Member
    I am looking forward to the RGIII vs. Russell Wilson matchup. Two VERY strong rookie QB's.

It is pretty amazing what they have done considering that neither team has ANY reputable receivers.

Heck, WAS made it with a rookie QB and rookie RB.